Running/Fitness getting fit for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Would I be better off using footy boots to get use to running the distance or would Using sneakers be better
Runners

Use footy boots for specific footy training, like if you're kicking and stuff too

Taylor's Couch to 5km (Three sessions a week for 9 weeks)

This is offered without consideration to your specific requirements and should be taken as such, to guide your journey, listen to your body and don't push through soreness. Finishing the session is better than trying to finish it quickly and.

All workouts begin with a five minute fast walk to warm up, I would recommend walking for 5 to 10 minutes after your session to cool down. All workouts end with a stretching routine, make sure you stretch your calves.

Do not move onto the next week until you complete all three sessions in the week. If you cannot complete a session, you start the week again. It might be worthwhile running the first week twice through if you feel your body is shocked by the activity, let it have time to adjust.

I would do this on an grass surface over a concrete path surface.

Week 1 (Short running, long rest week)[8 min running]:

Session 1 - 60 seconds of jogging followed by 90 seconds of walking - repeat 8 times (8 x 60 second jogs)
Session 2 - 60 seconds of jogging followed by 90 seconds of walking - repeat 8 times (8 x 60 second jogs)
Session 3 - 60 seconds of jogging followed by 90 seconds of walking - repeat 8 times (8 x 60 second jogs)

Week 2 (Longer running, longer rest week)[9 mins running]:

Session 1 - 90 seconds of jogging followed by two minutes of walking - repeat 6 times (6 x 90 second jogs)
Session 2 - 90 seconds of jogging followed by two minutes of walking - repeat 6 times (6 x 90 second jogs)
Session 3 - 90 seconds of jogging followed by two minutes of walking - repeat 6 times (6 x 90 second jogs)

Week 3 (Even running to rest week)[9 mins running]:

Session 1 - Jog 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, jog 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes - twice through
Session 2 - Jog 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, jog 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes - twice through
Session 3 - Jog 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, jog 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes - twice through

Week 4 (Resting half the time you run week)[16 minutes running]:

Session 1 - Jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 2 and a half minutes - twice through
Session 2 - Jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 2 and a half minutes - twice through
Session 3 - Jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 2 and a half minutes - twice through

Week 5 (Long conditioning run week)[15 to 20 mins running]:

Session 1 - Jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes - three times through
Session 2 - Jog 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, jog 8 minutes
Session 3 - Jog 20 minutes

Week 6 (Longer conditioning run week)[18 to 22 mins running]:

Session 1 - Jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 8 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 5 minutes
Session 2 - Jog 10 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 10 minutes
Session 3 - Jog 22 minutes

Week 7 (Solid runs all week, no more rests)[25 mins running]:

Session 1 - Jog 25
Session 2 - Jog 25
Session 3 - Jog 25

Week 8 (Extending the runs)[28 mins running]:

Session 1 - Jog 28
Session 2 - Jog 28
Session 3 - Jog 28

Week 9 (Last week)[30 mins running]:

Session 1 - Jog 30
Session 2 - Jog 30
Session 3 - Jog 30

You should now be able to push to 5km. Increase time running by only 10% per week from here.
Not a bad progression there

I found laps at the footy ground beneficial for me when I had to learn how to run at 15 when I took up playing footy and cricket became more demanding heading into playing seniors

We had a 2km running trail at my old cricket club around a majority of the venue (had every local sport pretty much all at the one park) which was a good tracker too, old coach was a fitness buff who made us run it before every session as a warm up, then occasionally after we had a hit if we weren't doing sprints in our pads. Generally tried to do it in around 10 minutes, best I got was 8:15 I think

Runners

Use footy boots for specific footy training, like if you're kicking and stuff too

Not a bad progression there

I found laps at the footy ground beneficial for me when I had to learn how to run at 15 when I took up playing footy and cricket became more demanding heading into playing seniors

We had a 2km running trail at my old cricket club around a majority of the venue (had every local sport pretty much all at the one park) which was a good tracker too, old coach was a fitness buff who made us run it before every session as a warm up, then occasionally after we had a hit if we weren't doing sprints in our pads. Generally tried to do it in around 10 minutes, best I got was 8:15 I think
So do u reckon cause I’m not good at running and can’t even do one lap, should I start with trying to be able to do one comfortably then move onto two

So do u reckon cause I’m not good at running and can’t even do one lap, should I start with trying to be able to do one comfortably then move onto two
If that's your current fitness base then yes definitely

Even just mark out sections of the ground to jog down. Like maybe run down one wing to the point post, walk along the boundary line past the goals to the 50m line to recover, then run down the other wing to the point post. Repeat a few times, take longer breaks if you have to, do this for a week or two then after that try building up to a lap. Once you can do that lap then yeah move onto two. And remember what I said before, focus on breathing while jogging, take deep breaths, will help bigtime as you progress.

Taylor's program could work for you too though, try a few things, whatever works.

I'd say that is more mental than physical, 6'5 and 105 doesn't sound to out of proportion to jog one lap even on a big ground that is 450-500m

Pups outlines a great way to increase your running capacity.

If that's your current fitness base then yes definitely

Even just mark out sections of the ground to jog down. Like maybe run down one wing to the point post, walk along the boundary line past the goals to the 50m line to recover, then run down the other wing to the point post. Repeat a few times, take longer breaks if you have to, do this for a week or two then after that try building up to a lap. Once you can do that lap then yeah move onto two. And remember what I said before, focus on breathing while jogging, take deep breaths, will help bigtime as you progress.

Taylor's program could work for you too though, try a few things, whatever works.
How many times a week should I do wing to post running?

How many times a week should I do wing to post running?
2-3 times a week to start off with it, ease yourself into it. The fitter you'll get, then the more you'll be able to do.

You might get muscle soreness the next day or two too if you push yourself, these are called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). So make sure you stretch up, particularly after a run and some time the next day if you get DOMS, stretch your quads, calves, hammies etc

2-3 times a week to start off with it, ease yourself into it. The fitter you'll get, then the more you'll be able to do.

You might get muscle soreness the next day or two too if you push yourself, these are called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). So make sure you stretch up, particularly after a run and some time the next day if you get DOMS, stretch your quads, calves, hammies etc

For memory you are a big walker?

Walking is great for recovery, find a good podcast and 45 mins can fly by

Would Monday, Wednesday and Friday be a good split? Also how many times should I try to run wing to post in one session?

Would Monday, Wednesday and Friday be a good split? Also how many times should I try to run wing to post in one session?
As long as it doesn't clash with other sports on other days then yep it'd be fine.

I'd start off with about 3-4 laps of wing to post running and see how you go

Once you can comfortably do it, then move on to trying to complete a lap. Once you can do a lap, then I'd interval, say jog a lap, walk a lap, jog a lap etc. Do it 3-4 times. Once you're comfortable with the lap then move on to 2 laps, jog 2 laps, walk a lap, jog 2 laps walk a lap etc.

That should keep you busy for a month or so

any chance i could find someone who would write one for free then i could do the exercises by myself
At your age get your core strong. If you're unfit just get the basics right. Do something every day.
First thing in the morning 20 *2 push ups and a minute planking. Start basic. Do that as soon as you get up. Eat when hungry just cut out processed foods.
Once you feel energetic some jogging. 10 mins if you want endurance or 70m sprints to start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back