Preview Round 3 North vs Swans Saturday 1:45 pm: Changes & pre match discussion @Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because they didn't win a flag? Please
It wasn't just cos they didn't win a flag. The dynamic of the side changed and they seemed to be missing something. Even tho they were good, especially when he first got there they dint seem as cohesive.

They made two grand finals just after he arrived. I guess you can argue it wasn’t a success, but they definitely didn’t go backwards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They should have won at least one of those. You could maybe argue they were robbed a bit by the umps in 2016 but they weren't that great that year either. What did they pay? 10 million bucks for Buddy? You'd want a flag for that much cash. Imagine getting Kelly and Martin and not winning a flag.

Anyway in the nine years before they got Buddy they won two flags from three attempts.

They've lost both the attempts they have made to win a GF since they have had Buddy. Does anyone really see them winning two flags before his nine year deal is up?

I don't. Therefore they will have gone backwards since they got him. Played in three GFs and won two before Buddy. So far they have lost two and it's unlikely they'll win another one before his contract is up or he retires, let alone the two they need to break even and move ahead.

They should have won at least one of those. You could maybe argue they were robbed a bit by the umps in 2016 but they weren't that great that year either. What did they pay? 10 million bucks for Buddy? You'd want a flag for that much cash. Imagine getting Kelly and Martin and not winning a flag.

Anyway in the nine years before they got Buddy they won two flags from three attempts.

They've lost both the attempts they have made to win a GF since they have had Buddy. Does anyone really see them winning two flags before his nine year deal is up?

I don't. Therefore they will have gone backwards since they got him. Played in three GFs and won two before Buddy. So far they have lost two and it's unlikely they'll win another one before his contract is up or he retires, let alone the two they need to break even and move ahead.
Terrible terrible take

Yeah nah mate
Yeah mate.

It's interesting hearing Rhyce talk about that so called bloods culture, which seems to have come at least partly from Pagan via Horse and Blakey. Cos the way he describes it getting Buddy goes against that. And personally I think it showed. I think they should have won another flag. I would have expected it after 2012.

Anyway that's just my opinion.

Unless they've won two flags by 2022 the numbers will agree.

Break even? If winning flags was easy we would have more than 4 Ferball.
Well yeah, break even as opposed to going backwards.

Two flags from three appearances (across two playing groups) vs no flags from two appearances with three and a half seasons to go and a player and team that look cooked in the decade before and after Buddy.

Their side was at its peak and they added him - the best player or equal best from the reigning premiership team and someone who at the time was still legitimately a chance to end up being as good as Duck. And didn't win another flag.

I still wonder if they would have won another flag without him.

Two flags from three appearances (across two playing groups) vs no flags from two appearances with three and a half seasons to go and a player and team that look cooked in the decade before and after Buddy.

Their side was at its peak and they added him - the best player or equal best from the reigning premiership team and someone who at the time was still legitimately a chance to end up being as good as Duck. And didn't win another flag.

Its almost as if winning flags is quite difficult, that you need a healthy dose of good fortune and if you wish to keep winning them, hope your opposition don't improve. Buddy has been an unbelievable recruit for them, and was stiff not to have another flag in 2016. But you can judge it however you like, it's your opinion. I think it's wrong and I'll leave it there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t watch one second of tonight’s match but does the result equate to “suddenly our win against the giants wasn’t that good?”

Just wondering.

I mean when we smashed Sydney in RD 4, 2014 on their home turf, Franklin was kept goalless by Scooter. Scooter would push back to double team Sydney's forwards whilst Franklin moved up the ground to spark something and get more involved. Fortunately, Buddy was getting dead passes that meant he was forced to bomb it long to a contest 60/40 in our favour (Since Thommo pushed back to help). Not only that, Tippett constantly got injured which meant their tall timber options were limited in their F50. It wasn't until the Swans had their fully-fit forward line in the Prelim final that meant our undersized defenders couldn't handle the long kicking the Swans were known for on their small ground. If only Tarrant discovered his impeccable backline form one year earlier!

We also won contested possessions, uncontested possessions, were more efficient inside 50, and used the ball a lot better in difficult conditions. We also won the clearance count, especially in stoppages which of course, prove to be one of the most dangerous times of being a defender. Also, when you keep Franklin goalless, you got a pretty good chance of beating Sydney. Much like when our forwards like Brown, Petrie or Waite being quiet, we also got into trouble.

Old-Sydney liked the contested stuff but they couldn't drive much from anything other than that (We were like this too!). It was a huge problem since they picked up Buddy. That money would have been better spent getting more pace and outside players instead of blowing it on one player. That's why the Hawks beat them and why the Dogs did as well. They simply moved the ball a lot quicker and better than what they could handle. The end result was their forwards suffered from scarce opportunities. (Sound familiar?)

Swans also had the problem of being possibly predictable with Franklin and needed to find more tactically sensible ways to get him involved without obviously making him the main target. They seem to play better when he is used as a decoy to draw attention and bring the ball to ground rather than him doing most of the work. If they can get more good small forwards, then they can utilise that 'long kick to a contest' strat on their home turf again. Tippett not being the player they needed him to be was also a catastrophic failure that I don't think they have fixed just yet. Especially when they want Franklin to not get thrashed to pieces by cautious defenders.

But we've made some significant changes since then. However, they seem to be 're-building' their list to look for old-known deficiencies and they won't be challenging until they get some experience into their younger brigade.

I expect at least a 5 goal win. Our team on paper looks more prepared and balanced to handle the Swans and it should go down that path. Expect a fight from them no doubt, but we should run over the top and put them away.

I don't know exactly why we have a poor record at home against them when Marvel is known for being a faster turf. I guess we were so poorly structured to the point their lack of outside meant zero to us. Hope Shaw can put them to the sword this time.

Got to admit I tend towards your view ferball. Putting so much cash into Franklin arguably stretched their talent too thin. Without academy advantages that others didn't have they'd be in a world of s**t right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back