Review Dogs 57 def Giants 33. There’s bite in the old dog.

Remove this Banner Ad

I still can't get over the coin toss thing.

2 games after the incident occurred, when they've had their own players kick, punch and eye gouge ours (all incidents with far worse intent than what Bont did), yet they try to take the moral high ground and get one back on him. Then to play like they did immediately after.

It's just so embarassing.

I reckon mentally we were more thinking about this game than R2 during the long break. Hard to believe we could improve that much off a 5 day break.

Often teams put in a subpar performance immediately before a match that is extra meaningful for them

Another positive I haven’t seen mentioned elsewhere was Bailey Williams - some of his kicking was sublime. One of his better games.
For mine he's ready to play the Suckling role permanently. His kicking is just as much of a weapon and he is a bit better at most other things.

Suckling has been a good player for us but don't reckon he's best 22 at present.

I noticed that too. It’s a bit embarrassing for them. They should’ve had one of the injured players in there filling the space. Not that still of Cameron.
Speaking of Cameron he was no where last night. Completely missing. Good times.
Perhaps it wasn't a photo of Cameron...he wasn't sighted at the ground.

Did anyone else notice that there weren't even enough actual GWS fans to fill the nine segments of the "fan wall" that came up on the TV sometimes. They had to put a still photo of a GWS player into the bottom right box to make up the numbers.

Fabricating the people in those squares chewed up the AFL's CGI budget. They had to settle for the still of the guy Fletcher Roberts shut down that one time instead.

Our tackle intensity was off the charts we were actually making them stick. Not just swinging off them so that they could still release the ball, we were often making the ball spill free in the tackle.
And that level of intensity had the Plastics spooked hence Shaw's handball to Richards for a goal
Importantly it was the third and fourth team efforts when the ball was with GWS that led to the turnovers.
That comes down to determination and work rate. That's very instructive. So much of what decides a game is between the ears.

The unexpected consequence for GWS is that they will be earmarked for the rest of the season as susceptible to pressure.
And they thought we'd be the ones with that tag.

There was an article I read not long ago about the most marketable players in the AFL. I think Baz will be well up there very soon. He's a good-looking well-spoken kid, has a trademark in the mullet, and is a bloody good player.
100% spot on. With the rise of non traditional media like McAfee’s podcast it is a no brainer to tap into this medium and Baz is the ideal representative for us, exhibiting all the traits that personify the club.
AFL‘s exposure in the States is ramping up, it has a lil bit of space in the market due to the lack of other pro sports on atm and being available on Fox Sports over there.
McAfee is also a former NFL punter so has a genuine affinity with the skills our game brings to the table. The window of opportunity for this is open right now and we should do what we can to maximise the potential for world wide exposure.

Leon Cameron. What a loser. Propped up by countless top draft picks, but impotent as a coach. The coin toss ‘tactic’ is u14s standard. Can’t believe I ever supported the pr1ck.

GWS Coaching was amateur hour.
First half chipped the ball around and propped. Said to my mates they have to change after half time , or the game is already lost to them. The good news came out in the 3rd quarter and did exactly the same thing .
With 2 big forwards , just plain dumb !

And this tough man stuff is laughable, push and shove , wrestling, don’t see how It intimidates anyone.
Back in my day ( before the Boer War ) instead of going off to get your jumper replaced like now , you went off to get stitched up or have some dental work done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it was good to get some intensity back, Bevo finally made some changes and we got a win. It was a big improvement although if you knew Greene, Kelly and then Whitfield would be gone you expect a win.
They didn't have Taranto either. He won their B&F last year. So we shouldn't get too carried away. ("It's just nice to get the four points...")

We were missing Wood and Hunter as walk up starts.

Suckers was slow and his kicking was very patchy last night. La Young would be a good replacement but you know Bevo favourite

Huh?
Last year Lachie Young put together arguably the worst first string of individual games in AFL/VFL history. The reason I think it is a very strong contender for such a record being that prior to Bev I don't think any other coach in AFL/VFL history would have allowed a player to put together a string of games as bad as Lachie's first 5 let alone reach number 6. He should count himself lucky he is still on an AFL list.

Now I'm not saying that he should never come back into selection calculations again, but before he does I think he needs to put together a solid resume of outstanding VFL performances before being considered to replace anyone in the side, let alone a proven senior performer like Suckling.

The unexpected consequence for GWS is that they will be earmarked for the rest of the season as susceptible to pressure.
And they thought we'd be the ones with that tag.
Who would of thought that after their performance in the grand final against Richmond, kicking sides dog-watch are always very
susceptible to frontal pressure and easy to hem into the pockets if you deny them the corridor switch which we did very well it's
easy to set up your zone if you know they are not comfortable with link and unlikely to run at you. Hold that nice high defensive
line and intercept at will. I had the game at 70 to 57 in our favour, but that was before selection and their outs. Sadly both sides
failed in front of the big sticks and the game never quite got up to my margin, but you just knew what was coming and how the
Giants would react.

Libba is so so important. Had zero doubt he would slot that goal after the melee. Loved Libbas little chips at Shaw. Has a roomy rent free timeshare apartment in Heaters head. Libba is such an underrated player. A beautiful user Our most important player behind Bont IMO. Can't believe I saw people here saying he'd never play again a few days ago.

English looked like Scott Wynd down back at times. Needs to work on his set shots (along with Bruce and Naughton).

Really enjoyed Alex Keath's work.

Gardner and Gowers were great non inclusions.

Great to see our suffocating zone back from 16. Old mate Leon the Ferrari gear grinder had no answer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back