Podcast BigFooty FJGD Podcast June 2020 ft Freight Train, Spanna_ El_Scorcho and Dylan8

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
In this episode Freight Train is joined by Spanna, Scorcho and Dylan to talk about major developments in the Port Adelaide prison bar story, look at the state of footy merch, and discuss the board's upcoming competitions as well as our approaches to sports design.

It was a pleasure to host, sorry if I got a bit repetitive with some of my responses but yeah, hope everyone really enjoys it.

If you have any feedback or comments or questions, let us know! :)

My experience of the episode (yes Freight Train I have had a listen):

1) Yay I got a mention!!!
2) Bloody hero elements :tonguewink:
3) Yay mentioned again!!!!
4) Yes join the Can-Am, and thanks for the praise of it (except for the freakin' South Park kits :rage:).
5) Will be an interesting NAFL (pronounced En Ay Ef El, not Naff el, or whatever Gibbsy calls it) season with the introduction of 2nd teams.
6) Bloody Waikato still in the NAFL. I thought I was rid of them, but no, they have to continue to hang around like a bad smell.

except for the freakin' South Park kits

caaaaarn, it was art

wzsk2Cy.png

My experience of the episode (yes Freight Train I have had a listen):

1) Yay I got a mention!!!
2) Bloody hero elements :tonguewink:
3) Yay mentioned again!!!!
4) Yes join the Can-Am, and thanks for the praise of it (except for the freakin' South Park kits :rage:).
5) Will be an interesting NAFL (pronounced En Ay Ef El, not Naff el, or whatever Gibbsy calls it) season with the introduction of 2nd teams.
6) Bloody Waikato still in the NAFL. I thought I was rid of them, but no, they have to continue to hang around like a bad smell.

“Nay-full”, always. Looking forward to listening to this on a walk tomorrow! Well done gents

20mins in, already enjoying the discussion lads!

Quick question:
What happens with Port's Magpies identity if the Power do end up wearing the Pylons full-time? It feels like more of an identity crisis to wear the prison bars in two competitions. The same set of fans cheering for the Power and then Magpies in the SANFL. And then compromising that team, like they currently have by having the Maggies as Port's reserves?

Maybe not a design question, but... 🤷‍♂️

Back to more on-topic conversation - Gimmicks: Canberra Parliament. I started off with Prison Bars and built on those.

Last edited:
Quick question:
What happens with Port's Magpies identity if the Power do end up wearing the Pylons full-time? It feels like more of an identity crisis to wear the prison bars in two competitions. The same set of fans cheering for the Power and then Magpies in the SANFL. And then compromising that team, like they currently have by having the Maggies as Port's reserves?
None of what you said here makes sense. It's one club. The fans who cheer the Power in the AFL and the Magpies in the SANFL are one and the same. I think you might be inventing an issue entirely in your head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of what you said here makes sense. It's one club. The fans who cheer the Power in the AFL and the Magpies in the SANFL are one and the same. I think you might be inventing an issue entirely in your head.
I am tired, so probably. I'll read this tomorrow and be like "what".

EDIT: Yeah, nevermind. Ignore me, sorry haha.

Last edited:
A fantastic little listen, particularly the discussion on the club merchandise. Had a look down at the AFL store earlier after listening and yeah, it was all very cookie cutter stuff, not a single thing I'd buy. Funnily enough I did see a guy in the shopping centre wearing one of those jumpers from the port range!

Only crows gear I have is a handful of guernseys, a scarf with the old logo and the 'We fly as One' cap. Which would be great if not for the big Toyota and RAA logos on the sides and the fact that it is playcorp, so it is ridiculously cheap and so light that it feels like it is going to lift off my head with the slightest gust of wind (can't complain though given it came free in a membership pack).

Is there a workshop on the board already for merchandise concepts? Wouldn't mind coming up with some stuff but don't know where to post it, would feel out of place going in the jumper ideas thread.

A fantastic little listen, particularly the discussion on the club merchandise. Had a look down at the AFL store earlier after listening and yeah, it was all very cookie cutter stuff, not a single thing I'd buy. Funnily enough I did see a guy in the shopping centre wearing one of those jumpers from the port range!

Only crows gear I have is a handful of guernseys, a scarf with the old logo and the 'We fly as One' cap. Which would be great if not for the big Toyota and RAA logos on the sides and the fact that it is playcorp, so it is ridiculously cheap and so light that it feels like it is going to lift off my head with the slightest gust of wind (can't complain though given it came free in a membership pack).

Is there a workshop on the board already for merchandise concepts? Wouldn't mind coming up with some stuff but don't know where to post it, would feel out of place going in the jumper ideas thread.

If one was made I could certainly see myself posting plenty there.

Great listen for a Sunday arvo - a lot of interesting points to take away from this one (the coining of the term "gimmick jumper" for which I have strived to think of how to describe properly for so long lmao).

I would love to chip in my two cents and be involved in one of these in the future!

Great podcast guys! Really enjoyed it and learnt a couple of new design tips! :)

On the streetwear/merch topic. When i was a kid, probably about 7 or 8 so late 90s, I had an Adidas tracksuit that was black white and teal. It was soooo awesome and if Adidas did that sort of thing again I would be all over it.

Anyone that needs some tips or feedback on designs, just hit your fellow board members up. As FT mentioned I inboxed him and fancy looking for feedback for my Can Am entry and they were really helpful! I have now made a couple of changes based on their feedback and my designs are better for it. Thanks again guys :)

I agree so much with the "if you know you know" merchandise. It works for bands and sports teams so well. One of my favourite pieces of Collingwood gear is a Collingwood 125 Years rugby jumper made by ISC that is barely recognisable as Pies gear. It's all black with a white collar and has no sponsors. The only logo on the front is the old CFC fancy monogram and it's stitched in black on black, so you can't really notice it from a distance. Then there's a black on black ISC logo on the sleeve near the cuff, and a magpie on the other cuff, which is the only thing that could really distinguish it as Collingwood merch. I can wear it out to bars under a jacket on a cold night or even on its own and it doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Last edited:
I agree so much with the "if you know you know" merchandise. It works for bands and sports teams so well. One of my favourite pieces of Collingwood gear is a Collingwood 125 Years rugby jumper made by ISC that is barely recognisable as Pies gear. It's all black with a white collar and has no sponsors. The only logo on the front is the old CFC fancy monogram and it's stitched in black on black, so you can't really notice it from a distance. Then there's a black on black ISC logo on the sleeve near the cuff, and a magpie on the other cuff, which is the only thing that could really distinguish it as Collingwood merch. I can wear it out to bars under a jacket on a cold night or even on its own and it doesn't raise an eyebrow.
This Port Pirate Life shirt is easily the coolest piece of footy merch I own and it's cool outright, better if you know it's a Port thing.

IMG_20200621_232143.jpg

Another great example of IYKYK type merchandise here in Perth at least that I wish I had mentioned in the podcast is some of the stuff that StreetX releases over here.

I’m in two minds about this particular release. I’m a fan of StreetX and it’s a Perth-ect (heh) example of what we’re talking about, but this one with the big logo plastered on it just wasn’t quite my tempo. But I could be biased just because of the more recent logo, would have looked way better/fashionable IMO with the OG logo,

The best example IMO for their IYKYK design was their vintage Glory release.

Attachments

• A8EE4DBE-5B72-4555-9301-581E0B590EAE.jpeg
    A8EE4DBE-5B72-4555-9301-581E0B590EAE.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 101
I’m in two minds about this particular release. I’m a fan of StreetX and it’s a Perth-ect (heh) example of what we’re talking about, but this one with the big logo plastered on it just wasn’t quite my tempo. But I could be biased just because of the more recent logo, would have looked way better/fashionable IMO with the OG logo,

The best example IMO for their IYKYK design was their vintage Glory release.
I think they did some with the original logo IIRC, I just couldn't be bothered scrolling through their Instagram to find it. But yeah, the example probably wasn't the best, the one you referenced is probably a bit better in being more minimalist.

EDIT- If someone's selling any of the black or white ones HMU :sweatdrops::sweatdrops:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back