Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m just not sold on these GWS castoffs... Ahern and now Bonar. I’m expecting to see a bit more over the next few weeks. Doesn’t have to be consistently getting 20+ a game but at least show us you are capable of making an impact.
If I remember correctly no worse than LDU first game. Seriously are we really putting the cue in the rack after one game guys

It's a real shame for the kid that the VFL isn't up and running, because he gave me the impression that he just needs a good long run of games to work in to it. I'd be dropping him, but I'm not writing him off. My sparse initial analysis is that he looks an insider to me.

It's a real shame for the kid that the VFL isn't up and running, because he gave me the impression that he just needs a good long run of games to work in to it. I'd be dropping him, but I'm not writing him off. My sparse initial analysis is that he looks an insider to me.

Like Jy, he is not a HF by trade. He is instinctively a midfielder. They stuffed Atley, but got Jy where he should be finally. Hopefully they give Bonar the same chances they give LDU to spend valuable time in there regardless of effectiveness to get the experience into him. I think once he gets comfortable at the level in the midfield, I do think he will become a weapon up forward as he was during his junior days.

If I remember correctly no worse than LDU first game. Seriously are we really putting the cue in the rack after one game guys
It might be his first game for us but surely the fact he was called up late at short notice for the best contested player in the comp is worth an extra twenty possessions on adrenaline alone. The kid obviously doesn't have it. Equal second on our tackle count is nothing. Who remembers second. We came second in the game!

Delist.

It might be his first game for us but surely the fact he was called up late at short notice for the best contested player in the comp is worth an extra twenty possessions on adrenaline alone. The kid obviously doesn't have it. Equal second on our tackle count is nothing. Who remembers second. We came second in the game!

Delist.

Watch in the stoppages. Just finished the last quarter and he is always moving, engaging his opponent and near the fall of the ball. I am actually even more optimistic based off that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Like Jy, he is not a HF by trade. He is instinctively a midfielder. They stuffed Atley, but got Jy where he should be finally. Hopefully they give Bonar the same chances they give LDU to spend valuable time in there regardless of effectiveness to get the experience into him. I think once he gets comfortable at the level in the midfield, I do think he will become a weapon up forward as he was during his junior days.
Re Jy ... Finally?

It's only the start of his fourth season and he is already one of the best clearance mids and inside mids in the comp. He might drop back a bit but only cos he's still young. And if he doesn't he'll be one of the best players in the comp this year. That is exceptional.

Jed had five tackles, then Jy, Bonar and Hayden all had four.

Kennedy had six but that was it. So Bonar and Hayden, both players with little experience and having difficult days were equal second on our tackle count with the best player on the ground (arguably). That is actually a great sign for both of them.

Aiden Bonar

Last 10 players to wear No.16

Scott Thompson (2009-19) 235 games
Leigh Brown (2003-08) 118 games
Matthew Capunao (1995-2000) 79 games
Gareth John (1994) 1 game
Greg Eppelstun (1993) 1 game
John McCarthy (1989-92) 76 games
Stephen McCann (1977-88) 226 games
Dick Michalczyk (1974-75) 23 games
Doug Farrant (1968-73) 70 games
Bob Pascoe (1964-67) 53 games

Aiden Bonar is North player No.1023
Player 23 – Teddy Shorten (1925-26) 6 games
Player 123 – Clarrie Semmel (1930) 4 games
Player 223 – Bill Montgomery (1936-42) 61 games
Player 323 – Ron Cooper (1943) 2 games
Player 423 – Jack Cuffe (1951-53) 3 games
Player 523 – Adrian Perry (1960-65) 41 games
Player 623 – Frank Gumbleton (1970-79) 147 games
Player 723 – Andrew Demetriou (1981-87) 103 games
Player 823 – John Blakey (1993-2002) 224 games
Player 923 – Jonathan Hay (2006) 8 games

Alphabetically he comes between
Jim Bolwell (1933) 1 game
Shane Bond (1979-80) 9 games

All Aidens to play for North
Nil

All A.B. initials to play for North
Arthur Batchelor (1932) 3 games
Adrian Beer (1961) 4 games
Allan Bloomfield (1970-71) 13 games
Arnold Briedis (1972-83) 161 games
Aaron Black (2011-15) 50 games

All players to play for GWS and North
Dom Tyson (2019- ) 3 games

I think Shaw outsmarted himself by bringing in Bonar for Cunners, but not giving him much midfield time.

At this stage I have only seen Bonar impact the game when playing inside.

I’m not sure what the logic was to bring him in and make him play predominantly forward? I would have rather he brought in Scott for added run or Marley as a defensive option.

It’s like he said here you can play, but I’m not sure what to do with you?

The vision is quite clear, in Simpkin, Thomas, LDU and Bonar, we have the premiership quartet, no doubt about it.

We just need to keep them in the team and back them to take on the opposition. The best form of deveopment is getting them to grow together.

Back in the brad days, too often we get a young bloke in, has a down game, he gets dropped for an the older bloke. When this happens a few too many times, the young bloke will go into their shells to play and self improve in order to get regular games and not become who they could become.

With atley for instnace, his development is ****ed, he is absolutely a running machine through the middle ala dangerfield but because of his many seemlingly shortcomings and the coaching in particular, he eventually solidified in the half back position because that's the safest position to minimize his shortcoming. This is a defecit model in that we minimized the problem and not maximized the strength. Examples like this are absolutely the coach's fault and the development department because its them that are actually limited in thinking. We need success oriented people and not failure prevention type people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is more play them, in the position they are best at, and if they don't respond, then you have it.

I would only add a slight modification to your very good point.

I think it is more play them, in the position they are best at, in the grade of football which correlates to their current standards, and if they don't respond, then you have it.

If they do respond, promote.

Folks tend to forget that Jy was also dropped.

I would only add a slight modification to your very good point.

I think it is more play them, in the position they are best at, in the grade of football which correlates to their current standards, and if they don't respond, then you have it.

If they do respond, promote.

Folks tend to forget that Jy was also dropped.

He was, but he didn't develop at VFL level, he developed at AFL level.

He's played 60 out of a possible 68 games since he was drafted.

He was, but he didn't develop at VFL level, he developed at AFL level.

He's played 60 out of a possible 68 games since he was drafted.

7 of them in the AFL.

He's not ready.

I watched Aiden very closely live in 2 of the pre-season matches. He is extremely reactionary. I don't think it was a pace thing, although they do measure for reaction time these days. I think it was more confidence. He may feel (for want of a better word) safer to react to what occurs, rather than be proactive.

Bottom line: Until this changes, he will continue to be a VFL footballer. Over to you coaches (& maybe psychologists)...

7 of them in the AFL.

He's not ready.

I get that.

But you cant have it both ways.

Simpkin has turned into a star because of consistent AFL experience, not an apprenticeship in the VFL.

He barely cracked 15 disposals in his first 20 AFL games. He wasn't AFL standard.

I agree that Bonar should be in the VFL at the minute, I also believe however that when he is brought into the AFL side he should be played as a midfielder rather than a bit part forward/mid on 45% TOG before he is crucified.

I'd hope the same standards are being applied to TT and our reigning B&F who only got 3 more touches for the game....

Last edited:
I watched Aiden very closely live in 2 of the pre-season matches. He is extremely reactionary. I don't think it was a pace thing, although they do measure for reaction time these days. I think it was more confidence. He may feel (for want of a better word) safer to react to what occurs, rather than be proactive.

Bottom line: Until this changes, he will continue to be a VFL footballer. Over to you coaches (& maybe psychologists)...

I agree and said as much for the first three quarters. But watch his action at stoppages in the last. He is very active and engages early and with purpose. When you are tentative or a little less confident, it is the instinct that can reveal ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back