Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Agree he needs to be dropped.. Looks like his mind is on other things instead of getting the ball, tackling and kicking goals.
He could benefit from playing on the wing or at half back - happy to let the coaches make that decision
Reckon Horse will rip into him this week
Got the yips as well last year.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
I feel like he's not the player the makes a team good, he's the player that makes a team better. If and when he has a good team around him his impact will be huge imo. I also feel like we as a fanbase need to know how to appreciate those X factor type impact players a bit more. They only ever get max 10 possies a game and can struggle when the team has a bad day, but still contribute to a decent handful of goals directly and indirectly when it's a good day. And every team needs them.

Why the obsession with wanting every bloke on the ground to find more of the ball? That's not how it works and never has. Also need to take into consideration the forward line around him now is no where near as good.

Last edited:
I feel like he's not the player the makes a team good, he's the player that makes a team better. If and when he has a good team around him his impact will be huge imo. I also feel like we as a fanbase need to know how to appreciate those X factor type impact players a bit more. They only ever get max 10 possies a game and can struggle when the team has a bad day, but still contribute to a decent handful of goals directly and indirectly when it's a good day. And every team needs them.

Why the obsession with wanting every bloke on the ground to find more of the ball? That's not how it works and never has. Also need to take into consideration the forward line around him now is no where near as good.

i agree with that, but he still needs to show some form and presence in the game and capitalise on his chances

he also needs to occasionally have that game where he is the x factor, it will come though i agree, also agree in a better side he will be better

chuck him in last years tigers side he probably kicks 40 goals

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
i agree with that, but he still needs to show some form and presence in the game and capitalise on his chances

he also needs to occasionally have that game where he is the x factor, it will come though i agree, also agree in a better side he will be better

And Richmond has a few of them, Shai Bolton, rioli, Castagna etc. They barely get 15 touches a game between them.but they're instrumental. And I'd still take Hayward over them.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

He wouldn't have got a game

Nothing to do with positive . I was so happy with his first year , but has gone backwards and comes across as a smartarse.

he has gone backwards

dont know about smartarse what makes you say that?

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He does come across as a bit of a smart ass, but I'd rather that than someone who goes into their shell when confronted. Shows he has some confidence and willingness to compete, It's just about turning that confidence into onfield impact, which I think he'll be able to do, he just needs to focus on channelling that energy in the right way and attack the contest.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Hayward is a brilliant mark and good user of the ball. Hayward should be using his strength to get up the field and bring the ball into our 50. It's not enough IMO to only wait to be on the recieving end of your teams hard work.

Hayward & Heeney are playing the same role, no one would accept this output from Heeney.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He seems to have lost a bit of his creativity and marking prowess.

mayb horse could attempt to make him the focal point in patches during games to give him some responsibility and challenge him

Needs to be dropped simple as that. First and second year Hayward worked hard to get into the right spots and generate scoring opportunities. Did the basics right and was rewarded with goals. Needs a reminder that you can't just show up inside 50 and expect a standard 2-3 shots every game. He has to work for them, and he's smart enough and talented enough to learn from that lesson... if it's given to him.

Over to you, Horse.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I actually thought Hayward's pressure and tackling was pretty good on the weekend. He only tallied two tackles but I remember him harassing and pressuring far more than that to affect North players' disposal.

But the really unnecessary shot on Jasper Pittard on the wing and how much he was needling North players suggest he's frustrated with his own play.

If we had a reserves comp up and going, dropping him to get some form back wouldn't be a bad idea and maybe you can still do it atm and tell him to dominate whatever scratch matches are set up. Ronke being back fully fit is certainly going to put pressure on him if he continues his run of outs.

I would give him the next 2 weeks and I agree he’s been sh*t but who’s coming in for him!
Id tell him he has 2 weeks to find form or F off

Ronke?

Naismith could return and we could have a Sinclair/McLean twin towers (not sure I'd be keen on this but it is an option if Hayward's gotta go.)

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Ronke?

Naismith could return and we could have a Sinclair/McLean twin towers (not sure I'd be keen on this but it is an option if Hayward's gotta go.)

Assuming Naismith is fit this week, I'd bring him in for Sinclair and I think I'd stick with Hayward at this stage. Mainly because his main competitor for a spot (Ronke) has barely played recently. I'd be limiting changes to a side which is playing very competitively at the moment.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Hayward is an interesting size. Not quite big enough to be a kpp, but too big to be a small forward. He has put on quite a bit of bulk and I think it has affected his agility significantly. As a consequence he is a bit of a straight line player, who largely has one shot at getting the ball at pace or he misses it. A genuine small forward is very agile and can work multiple times to get the ball in different directions. I think Hayward either continues to bulk up in which case he works on his leading and contested marking, or slims down and works on agility. Right now he is falling between the cracks.

Ronke?

Yeah fair
id just like to see if Hayward responds to a threat of losing his spot dropping him with no ressies we might write his season off

Yeah fair
id just like to see if Hayward responds to a threat of losing his spot dropping him with no ressies we might write his season off

I get that. I just don't want him to end up like Reid and Rohan where he can get away with being a passenger and never improve across his career because he's never held accountable.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I think Hayward is an interesting size. Not quite big enough to be a kpp, but too big to be a small forward. He has put on quite a bit of bulk and I think it has affected his agility significantly. As a consequence he is a bit of a straight line player, who largely has one shot at getting the ball at pace or he misses it. A genuine small forward is very agile and can work multiple times to get the ball in different directions. I think Hayward either continues to bulk up in which case he works on his leading and contested marking, or slims down and works on agility. Right now he is falling between the cracks.
Needs to work on his goalkicking when he does get it, as has the yips. Might need a long putter.

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought the goal he kicked on the weekend was a beauty. Oddly enough, the finish of a player in great form. But he has been wayward Hayward for a while. And needs to find the ball more. Might dodge being dropped with a question mark over McCartin playing Thursday.

Needs to work on his goalkicking when he does get it, as has the yips. Might need a long putter.
I think this as well. Imo he does well, should be getting around 10 posessions a game I guess, but better than that, make the ones he gets count. Will just cant kick a set shot at the moment. His goal on the weekend was class and he brings the ball to found and presents a contest, unfortunately, you don't stats for that. I think he is very good but I cant help think his issues with the set shot are impacting other parts of his game.

Goals are the most important stat on the field. If he can hold a goal a game average (as nothing more than a deep forward) he is worth a spot, especially with the low scoring of modern footy and shorter quarters.

If he can push it to 1.5 a game that would be excellent.

Goals are the most important stat on the field. If he can hold a goal a game average (as nothing more than a deep forward) he is worth a spot, especially with the low scoring of modern footy and shorter quarters.

If he can push it to 1.5 a game that would be excellent.

We are entering mythical Sam Reid levels of performance now.

Back