Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes we will. No player would come to Richmond if we are delisting injured players,especially if they are first year.

Can we delist him??

Normally he would be first year of a 2 year so could not delist him.

Could put him on inactive list and no one would take him cause still under injury cloud while we look after him??

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is a real shame for the young man.

Cumberland was taken ahead of three others by us in last years draft so the club must have rated him a bit, because they all look to have some decent promise. I thought he looked like he could bring something a bit different to the table for us, a more solid body with a real burst of speed and some pretty thoughtful usage, so this makes the shame the greater. I also liked the look of his movement patterns, good running technique, tackling technique and on top of that not afraid to accelerate into tight spaces, something some players really struggle with.

If you think about it though, it was going to be tough to get him involved this year. If he hqs a good rehab and can commence playing again around this time next year, he can play the last half of the season out in the VFL to get some real confidence back in his body and also to really get accustomed to to playing for us. Beyond that, a big pre season and 2022 he is on a new contract and ready to push into the AFL team with an ideal build up to it. Interested to see what role the club had him earmarked for, but you could definitely see him dashing off a back flank.

I would not like to see this player delisted on any grounds, and providing he has a full recovery and doesn't suffer further ACL problems, I think he looks a very decent prospect. Fingers crossed for him.

This is a real shame for the young man.

Cumberland was taken ahead of three others by us in last years draft so the club must have rated him a bit, because they all look to have some decent promise. I thought he looked like he could bring something a bit different to the table for us, a more solid body with a real burst of speed and some pretty thoughtful usage, so this makes the shame the greater. I also liked the look of his movement patterns, good running technique, tackling technique and on top of that not afraid to accelerate into tight spaces, something some players really struggle with.

If you think about it though, it was going to be tough to get him involved this year. If he hqs a good rehab and can commence playing again around this time next year, he can play the last half of the season out in the VFL to get some real confidence back in his body and also to really get accustomed to to playing for us. Beyond that, a big pre season and 2022 he is on a new contract and ready to push into the AFL team with an ideal build up to it. Interested to see what role the club had him earmarked for, but you could definitely see him dashing off a back flank.

I would not like to see this player delisted on any grounds, and providing he has a full recovery and doesn't suffer further ACL problems, I think he looks a very decent prospect. Fingers crossed for him.

Massive call I know, and I'm not saying 'same', but i do see plenty of Dusty traits in this local Sunny Coast boy. He could be a cracker!

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Poor kid, terrible start to a career.
It puts them back more than just the missed time because they don't have the fitness base of someone more established, I always get fearful when kids to ACLs too because history shows it's one of those injuries that can reccur with players, some guys have that predisposition and you hope that's not the case.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Real Shame had high hopes this kid would come into the team and replace softies like Short Rioli etc.Fmd the way Rioli is going this kid would have done no worse. tackles hard runs hard loves the contest, just a few things several of our lot are lacking atm.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Reckon he'll make a good half back.
Why though?The kids got drafted because of his ability as a fwd and his ability to rotate thru the midfield when needed. Sure he could probably make a good h/b but why do it.
We have so many possibilities to play at h/b but we have no medium sized fwds other than when we play Caddy and Dustin there and surely their primary roles should be as mids.

How different does a player like Cumberland 184cm and Ralphsmith 188cm if played fwd make us.We have become so fixated on playing only smalls alongside talls that we lose sight of the negatives when we do this.

So we play Noah across h/b what do we do with Vlastuin, Grimes who still plays his best for us when hes given the smaller opponents imo ,
Broad, Baker, Short, Stack, Markov, DE-S, Naish who could rebound off h/b its where he played a lot as a junior, Houli, Pickett imo has played his best footy at h/b, McIntosh and Turner all played as h/b at some stage so why take a fwd mid and try and find another defender when we cant fit all of the defenders in that we have.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Why though?The kids got drafted because of his ability as a fwd and his ability to rotate thru the midfield when needed. Sure he could probably make a good h/b but why do it.
We have so many possibilities to play at h/b but we have no medium sized fwds other than when we play Caddy and Dustin there and surely their primary roles should be as mids.

How different does a player like Cumberland 184cm and Ralphsmith 188cm if played fwd make us.We have become so fixated on playing only smalls alongside talls that we lose sight of the negatives when we do this.

So we play Noah across h/b what do we do with Vlastuin, Grimes who still plays his best for us when hes given the smaller opponents imo ,
Broad, Baker, Short, Stack, Markov, DE-S, Naish who could rebound off h/b its where he played a lot as a junior, Houli, Pickett imo has played his best footy at h/b, McIntosh and Turner all played as h/b at some stage so why take a fwd mid and try and find another defender when we cant fit all of the defenders in that we have.
He well may become a mid/forward, but from the small amount of highlights I have seen he looks to lack a little class. Most good mids have that time with the ball. But he looks a very strong and aggressive player which sort of goes with half back. He will be out for a year now, so when he is back there is Houli's place coming available. I am not a great fan of Short, although not quite in your league, Baker to me is a bit small, MacIntosh is no half back, Turner looks a mid to me as he reminds me of Wayne Campbell type accumulator. DE-S is one for sure to watch. Stack should be there all season but I would like to see him move to the wing down the track as he is such an attacking weapon.

So I think there is a spot at half back or perhaps wing, he has good pace by the looks of it.

Cant wait till he recovers and within 3 games in the seniors mopsy is calling him a "softie" too

lmfao

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Do we know how far off this bloke is from playing some footy? I'd like to see him play some time in the VFL in the backline. Seems to have similar traits to Baker, and it's an area we have a bit less depth in compared to mids and forwards.

I think from memory it was indicated they were aiming to have Cumbo, Cumber, Cumster, or simply Cum playing around May. 😁

Back