Senior 21. Jack Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

What a dynamic player, some people thought we messed up big time on draft night, by not taking Flanders at pick 11,
with the rationale being Flanders was the type of forward/mid, with X factor and the ability to regularly hit the scoreboard, that we are missing.
I’d say Flanders is like a poor mans version of Martin and to get Martin for a bag of chips, just makes the pick up so much sweeter.

When our key forwards and Eddie are all up and going, think Martin could push up into a midfield/forward role.
He has all the traits our midfield is lacking, he has a very rounded game and could add so much to our midfield.
I’ve listed some of his strengths and stats below and there pretty impressive, particularly when you take into account, that he was playing for a very poor GCS side, being thrown all over the park and wasn’t allowed to settle into a position.

• gives us another strong senior body.
- plays bigger and stronger then you’d expect
- is in the 24yo+ range and coming into his prime now
- adds experience, played 98 games

• Contested ball and clearance winning ability
- averaged 3.5 clearance last year
- 45% of his possessions are contested.
- averages 4.4 ground ball gets

•Elite disposal
- he goes at 70%-80% disposal efficiency (elite)
- 65% kicking efficiency (elite)
- is very creative and nails some very difficult passes under pressure
- has a 1.6 kicks to handball ratio
- averages 238 meters gained from 16.7 disposals

• Offensive game
- averages a goal a game, elite for his position
- 56.7% accuracy at goal (elite)
- 0.5 goal assists (elite)
- 1.6 shots on goal per game
- 4.6 score involvements
- 1.2 score launches
- 2 inside 50’s

• Defensive game
- tackles extremely well averaged 5.6 tackles last year.
- 0.9 in the forward 50
- puts on meaningful defensive pressure, averaging 12.6 pressure acts
- 5.7 of those coming the defensive half
- averages 1.8 rebound 50’s

•Elite Marking ability
- 5 marks per game, which is elite for a forward/mid
- 0.7 contested marks (elite)
- 0.7 marks on lead (elite)
- 0.4 intercept marks (elite)
- 0.9 marks inside 50

Last edited:

• Contested ball and clearance winning ability
- averaged 3.5 clearance last year
- 45% of his possessions are contested.
- averages 4.4 ground ball gets

•Elite disposal
- he goes at 70%-80% disposal efficiency (elite)
- 65% kicking efficiency (elite)
- is very creative and nails some very difficult passes under pressure
- has a 1.6 kicks to handball ratio
- averages 238 meters gained from 16.7 disposals

• Offensive game
- averages a goal a game, elite for his position
- 56.7% accuracy at goal (elite)
- 0.5 goal assists (elite)
- 1.6 shots on goal per game
- 4.6 score involvements
- 1.2 score launches
- 2 inside 50’s

• Defensive game
- tackles extremely well averaged 5.6 tackles last year.
- 0.9 in the forward 50
- puts on meaningful defensive pressure, averaging 12.6 pressure acts
- 5.7 of those coming the defensive half
- averages 1.8 rebound 50’s

•Elite Marking ability
- 5 marks per game, which is elite for a forward/mid
- 0.7 contested marks (elite)
- 0.7 marks on lead (elite)
- 0.4 intercept marks (elite)
- 0.9 marks inside 50

Stats a spicy meatball!

I originally thought he was going to be more a HF type for us, but what he showed on Saturday confirmed he should play predominantly midfield each week.
He was imo an unsung hero and should have been in the votes. His aggression and pressure got us going, and then his clean ball use set up a lot of our attacks.
We need to persist with him in there.

I originally thought he was going to be more a HF type for us, but what he showed on Saturday confirmed he should play predominantly midfield each week.
He was imo an unsung hero and should have been in the votes. His aggression and pressure got us going, and then his clean ball use set up a lot of our attacks.
We need to persist with him in there.

Playing mint for us 65/45 split ideal imo

I might be going early but I think Jack can be the best player in the competition.
Has all the tools, needs to want it that bad he does everything needed for it to happen.

Hope he can, his best is electric

Been terrific thus far - 2/3 games have been excellent.

Has shown himself more than capable both forward in the midfield, and I expect to see him spend time in both areas.

It would certainly be nice to have 2 of him.

Will be interesting to revisit at the end of the season - consistency has been a major issue through his career, let's see if he has overcome that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beats me why the Suns fans (Well on their board)keep hating on him..

His detection to us was another justification for the AFL to give them an arguably unfair and unprecedented rescue draft and academy zone package, Noah Anderson is an exceptionally talented prospect (overshadowed by Matt Rowell's stunning stunning start to the season) whom they got as a free hit, Martin did his service at Gold Coast and wanted to return home to play with his Cuz and Betts etc

Without J-Mart leaving, it's arguable whether the Suns would have gotten such a generous bailout, remember we lost Eddie Betts in his prime for zilch compo, so instead of slagging off Marty constantly on their board, educated Suns fans should show some class and thank him for years of solid service..

Been terrific thus far - 2/3 games have been excellent.

Has shown himself more than capable both forward in the midfield, and I expect to see him spend time in both areas.

It would certainly be nice to have 2 of him.

Will be interesting to revisit at the end of the season - consistency has been a major issue through his career, let's see if he has overcome that.

SPS could be that man

I called this in the midfield tread, Jack Martin brings more of what our midfield needed then Coniglio does, we just did not have a mature bodied mid that has both an inside and outside game, class, elite footskills, elite hands, speed, evasiveness, toughness and genuine defensive tackling pressure and genuine X factor, can bring all that to the forward line too, didn’t think we’d see much of him as a mid this year, due to all our key forwards struggling with injuries throughout the preseason, but it’s looking like McGovern CAS and Harry can give is enough fire power up forward, freeing Martin up to play further up the ground, what a joy it is watching him deliver the ball inside 50, watching Cripps feed Martin the footy to kick inside 50 is going to give opposition teams fits, he’s a classic POD mid, not to many players like him going around.

Its gone under the radar, but adding Jack Martin to our list, was essentially adding another number one pick, this one didn’t cost us winning a spoon and comes ready to go, with 100 games under his belt.
The best part is we got him for FREE ! Lol stuff footy dreams are made of.

I called this in the midfield tread, Jack Martin brings more of what our midfield needed then Coniglio does, we just did not have a mature bodied mid that has both an inside and outside game, class, elite footskills, elite hands, speed, evasiveness, toughness and genuine defensive tackling pressure and genuine X factor, can bring all that to the forward line too, didn’t think we’d see much of him as a mid this year, due to all our key forwards struggling with injuries throughout the preseason, but it’s looking like McGovern CAS and Harry can give is enough fire power up forward, freeing Martin up to play further up the ground, what a joy it is watching him deliver the ball inside 50, watching Cripps feed Martin the footy to kick inside 50 is going to give opposition teams fits, he’s a classic POD mid, not to many players like him going around.

Its gone under the radar, but adding Jack Martin to our list, was essentially adding another number one pick, this one didn’t cost us winning a spoon and comes ready to go, with 100 games under his belt.
The best part is we got him for FREE ! Lol stuff footy dreams are made of.

Classy, and Tough. It's a good combo.

Now that it looks like you can add Invested to that combo, it's a really good combo.

Classy, and Tough. It's a good combo.

Now that it looks like you can add Invested to that combo, it's a really good combo.

Martin is a pretty rare type of player, don’t often find players that do so many things at an elite level and have the right intangibles to go with it, pretty much the full package, I struggle to think of a weakness in his game, the old GCS did there best to stuff this one up, to think they dropped him last year.

Can see why a number of clubs were keen to get him. Just the type of player we have been screaming out for. A goalkicking midfielder that uses the ball superbly. Would be great if SPS could model his game on this guys, as they do have similar traits.

Can see why a number of clubs were keen to get him. Just the type of player we have been screaming out for. A goalkicking midfielder that uses the ball superbly. Would be great if SPS could model his game on this guys, as they do have similar traits.

Apart from being indigenous, I cant really see the comparison TBH. SPS does not have Jacks pace strength or tennacity. jack just "goes" and makes something out of nothing. SPS has poise and elegence, and sometimes does something special

Remove this Banner Ad

Back