Workshop 2021 Jumper Ideas thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another silver bars mockup based on the 1919 jumper. i really really like how this one looks. It's so dark there isn't a sensible argument to be made that it looks like Collingwood, it's not a black and white jumper even though it looks just like the 1919 port jumper, and the front more or less matches the back so you can't have the GWS problem.

Port1919SilverBars@4x.png

When I was younger I never really saw it as flames, just a stylised ‘M’ for Melbourne.
I was the complete opposite, I didn't even know it was an M and always thought it was the flaming hair of a demon or something.

Honestly, I don't think that looks half bad. The problem is, there's no heritage value. They may as well continue with their current home guernsey, that has more heritage than a colour swapped bars.
Don't tell Eddie that, he doesn't think colour swaps affect the feeling of heritage in a guernsey design.

Doesn’t look like this has been posted elsewhere? Please feel free to move if in the wrong spot.
View attachment 898257

I mean, it wouldn’t be that hard to take your favourite Nike jacket and get the Collingwood logo embroidered on it, but interesting nevertheless. I wouldn’t want to see Nike back in the league though unless they got their act together.

I mean, it wouldn’t be that hard to take your favourite Nike jacket and get the Collingwood logo embroidered on it, but interesting nevertheless. I wouldn’t want to see Nike back in the league though unless they got their act together.
I would be filthy if Nike came back and started doing well after years of treating us like s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always wondered why Nike and Adidas have moved away from supplying teams in the AFL, anyone have a reason for this?

Adidas are still with Hawthorn (and from what I've seen in person and on the field are doing a pretty good job). But they've cut back on the number of teams they supply (although it was never huge to begin with), in recent times the most they've had at one time is three (Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon). Nike at one point had three as well (Carlton, Port Adelaide and Richmond) but for the most part were with only Carlton.

There's been a bit of discussion around the board about why some of the bigger companies have moved away from the AFL, and the reasons discussed tended to be about the fact that the revenue that would be earned by sponsoring and supplying an AFL team (which is mostly followed exclusively in Australia) is far less than sports such as the NFL, NHL, NBA and Premier League (which have worldwide followings)

Adidas are still with Hawthorn (and from what I've seen in person and on the field are doing a pretty good job). But they've cut back on the number of teams they supply (although it was never huge to begin with), in recent times the most they've had at one time is three (Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon). Nike at one point had three as well (Carlton, Port Adelaide and Richmond) but for the most part were with only Carlton.

There's been a bit of discussion around the board about why some of the bigger companies have moved away from the AFL, and the reasons discussed tended to be about the fact that the revenue that would be earned by sponsoring and supplying an AFL team (which is mostly followed exclusively in Australia) is far less than sports such as the NFL, NHL, NBA and Premier League (which have worldwide followings)
Yeah that makes sense, Maybe McAfee's invasion will bring Nike and Adidas back

Yeah that makes sense, Maybe McAfee's invasion will bring Nike and Adidas back

It would be great if Pat McAfee's show and support of AFL helps the league gain some international exposure and interest, and certainly if supporter and viewer markets begin to rise throughout the USA and Europe then bigger companies such as Nike and Adidas may return/increase their involvement. The quality of Nike's Carlton apparel was fairly low compared to other manufacturers by the time they ended their partnership with the Blues (the heat-pressed logos the most notable instance of Nike's declining interest), but as I said earlier from what I've seen the Adidas apparel is of good quality.

Personally I'm happy with the ratio of local to international suppliers (currently ten teams are supplied by Australian companies and eight by internationals), but provided a strong presence of Australian-based companies is maintained I'd welcome some big-name companies partnering with AFL clubs.

Sorry to nick your image butView attachment 894463
Bars and sock turnovers are 90% brightness silver, collar is teal in reference to the team song (silver, teal, black and white). Under bright sunlight it'll look black and white with teal collar - clearly NOT a Collingwood guernsey

Be interested to see what it would look like if teal was used all over the jumper where the white is.

Reckon the prison bars jumper is a winner design though.

Random: How would Essendon’s clash strip look with red shorts rather than white? I’ve been wanting them to bring back the red shorts for a while. I don’t think we need the white.

I'd love Essendon to use red shorts as an away set, to not introduce white when playing away against sides like Collingwood and Geelong or Port.

Red shorts with the red based clash is gonna look like a lot of red, but at least it keeps everything to red and black.

Also modified 'compromise' prison bars with teal or silver added are never going to be adopted, unless as a clash guernsey once the OG bars are already our home guernsey.

At this stage for Port, adopting any sort of compromised bars would leave us in a situation where we're wearing some Frankenstein hybrid that isn't our real guernsey while also completely wrecking our argument for being allowed to wear the OG bars.

Also modified 'compromise' prison bars with teal or silver added are never going to be adopted, unless as a clash guernsey once the OG bars are already our home guernsey.

At this stage for Port, adopting any sort of compromised bars would leave us in a situation where we're wearing some Frankenstein hybrid that isn't our real guernsey while also completely wrecking our argument for being allowed to wear the OG bars.
Yeah, it's fun toying around with it though, because PBs with teal looks awesome. And without teal is it really possible to honor the near-quarter century as Port Power? Or is it part of the goal to erase that part of the club's history? I think you guys already kinda exist as a Frankenstein hybrid, PBs twice a year just adds to that IMO. Not meaning any shade by this - just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back