USA US Police 40 % domestic violence

HardcoreGeelongFan

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
St Kilda
I wonder how many people die as a result of police compared to dying from a drink/drug driver.

Might be time to do the numbers and see if having police actually weighs up

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Here's some stats for Australia:

Aboriginal women are 37 times more likely to be hospitalised than non-Aboriginal women for non-fatal family violence-related assaults.

Yep, well aware of those, mentioned numerous times in the Another Black Death In Custody, thread. It's too confronting to discuss on here. Black on black violence is a taboo subject lest you be labelled a racist.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep, well aware of those, mentioned numerous times in the Another Black Death In Custody, thread. It's too confronting to discuss on here. Black on black violence is a taboo subject lest you be labelled a racist.

Agree 100%. Yet how does a problem ever get solved without having a discussion about it first?

Political correctness is about creating victims, not solving problems.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Rubbish. If people don't know what race you are, and if you don't make racist comments.

Then you wont look like a racist. So the problem may be your english skills, not your race.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Did you by any chance. Listen to abc radio today?

Yep, I missed the start of it though, the woman and her kid. Did they give any figures? I heard the Asst Commissioner after the 9am news, what a pointless exercise it was having him on, knew nothing, heard nothing, had seen nothing.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Rubbish. If people don't know what race you are, and if you don't make racist comments.

Then you wont look like a racist. So the problem may be your english skills, not your race.

haha, couldn't have had a better post to illustrate what happens when the subject is brought up.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
haha, couldn't have had a better post to illustrate what happens when the subject is brought up.

Ok I'll rephrase it. I don't know what color your skin is, or what you identify as.

So I wouldn't call you out as being racist for talking about black/black violence, unless your language conveyed racism.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok I'll rephrase it. I don't know what color your skin is, or what you identify as.

So I wouldn't call you out as being racist for talking about black/black violence, unless your language conveyed racism.

Fair enough. I'm pretty sure I know how Jacinta Price indentifies herself.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And that is reported domestic violence, so the actual figures would be higher.

Does the job attract terrible people, or does the job make people terrible? Likely both.

In the US it would be both, bit mainly the former.

You just need a high school degree and a short course, then boom you get access to military equipment as nnd qualified immunity, and a union willing to proudly defend every abuse of power you feel like committing.

If youre an angry loser the on course you're gonna be attracted to an avenue of such easy power. Why would that stop at home?

Lyttelton Ranger

Squadron Leader
Mar 10, 2008
The Lord's Pyjamas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR
Police were only invented recently , relatively

It worked alright previously unless you were taking a horse to your holiday home

So tighten up the rules for eligibility to become a law enforcer to weed out those who thrive on the power such a job entails. Everyone relies on the police doing their job at some point in their lives and are grateful for it. I know I have been

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
So tighten up the rules for eligibility to become a law enforcer to weed out those who thrive on the power such a job entails. Everyone relies on the police doing their job at some point in their lives and are grateful for it. I know I have been
Or change the nature of the job from confrontation and intervention to de-escalation and prevention.

Of course, the latter won't get support from the 'tough on crime' crowd...

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Will this help to stop, 40% of cops bashing their partners?
Possibly.

De-escalation training requires people to recognise what they themselves are feeling first in order to move away from an instinctive/emotional response, ie lashing out at someone who is frightening/making you angry. It's something that is done in hospitals, to avoid assaults becoming worse or requiring police presence. There's also the hardening aspect that police culture has on the police themselves. It can create a them vs us mentality, and can have a bottling effect on them; Police bottle their feelings and don't talk to their partners, until it all comes out when they cannot control it anymore. Replace that culture of us vs them with de-escalation, all of a sudden the goal of the police becomes avoiding violence altogether.

A more emotionally intelligent police force couldn't be a bad thing.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will this help to stop, 40% of cops bashing their partners?

Given the reports where the 40% was suggested were done in the early 1990s, those cops are probably all retired.

What is the current percentage?

Plus its in America.

Are there any Australian statistics?

I wonder what the % of police getting hospitalised due to assaults is vs their partners.

Does anyone look closely at stats or just read something on Twitter and assume its real?

Dec 16, 2008
Maiden Gully
AFL Club
Carlton
Police were only invented recently , relatively
Not true, the Greek began using police as early as 400 BC and ancient Rome had the praetorian guard right through to their fall. The rich of Egypt and the Arab world had their private police much like the gated communities in the US today.
Sir Robert Peel founded the modern police after the horrors of what are call the dark ages where rich lords could freely rape anyone on their lands largely with impunity.
Any structured civilisation cannot exist without some form of policing.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Not true, the Greek began using police as early as 400 BC and ancient Rome had the praetorian guard right through to their fall. The rich of Egypt and the Arab world had their private police much like the gated communities in the US today.
Sir Robert Peel founded the modern police after the horrors of what are call the dark ages where rich lords could freely rape anyone on their lands largely with impunity.
Any structured civilisation cannot exist without some form of policing.

The praetorian guard was more a bodyguard than a police force no?

Back