News Cats set to head to Perth hub & then QLD hub

Remove this Banner Ad

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
From The Age a few minutes ago:

Collingwood and Geelong are expected to be the first clubs to head to a Perth hub for three weeks, playing one another in quarantine and then both WA clubs in front of packed Optus Stadium.

The Victorian clubs are expected to be in WA from July 11-August 2. It is unclear whether they will play round six in WA or Victoria.

From The Age a few minutes ago:

Collingwood and Geelong are expected to be the first clubs to head to a Perth hub for three weeks, playing one another in quarantine and then both WA clubs in front of packed Optus Stadium.

The Victorian clubs are expected to be in WA from July 11-August 2. It is unclear whether they will play round six in WA or Victoria.

Sorry to intrude but apart from the Collingwood game there's an easy 8 points for the taking :tearsofjoy: You guys get all the luck.

Sorry to intrude but apart from the Collingwood game there's an easy 8 points for the taking :tearsofjoy: You guys get all the luck.
Luck?

I wouldn’t consider being locked away in WA for a month luck at all, especially considering other teams might not have to do it. Plus, the game against Collingwood could count as a home game which obviously we don’t want.

If you think about it, its may not be the worst time to go over for three weeks - both WA teams will be returning after 6 weeks away on the road they then have to play each other in what are usually bruising encounters, to then get to play one of them after a Derby may work to our advantage as its possible they could be flat. Clearly we won't win all three matches over there but I would happy if we could win one of the games vs Eagles or Dockers - and maybe it gives us a better chance of beating Pies by having to play them on a neutral ground. 2-1 would be a best case scenario.

Considering we have already played one interstate trip in round 1, playing these three games in Perth will just about take care of our remaining road trips for the year in shortened season (although I would think there still may another or two trips

We need to embrace it. I get the sense Collingwood are quite excited by it. Fans, players, coach etc.
We need to be the same, we can beat the pies but if our attitude isn’t right than we won’t.

Personally I’m not a fan of Optus stadium and their rock hard surface, I would prefer an Adelaide hub but the team better embrace it.

If you think about it, its may not be the worst time to go over for three weeks - both WA teams will be returning after 6 weeks away on the road they then have to play each other in what are usually bruising encounters, to then get to play one of them after a Derby may work to our advantage as its possible they could be flat. Clearly we won't win all three matches over there but I would happy if we could win one of the games vs Eagles or Dockers - and maybe it gives us a better chance of beating Pies by having to play them on a neutral ground. 2-1 would be a best case scenario.

Considering we have already played one interstate trip in round 1, playing these three games in Perth will just about take care of our remaining road trips for the year in shortened season (although I would think there still may another or two trips
Love your optimism. However, having vocal support is worth goals. Moreso at the new stadium where I'm told the crowd noise is more evident than at any other AFL ground.

Unless Weagle and Freo supporters vocally support us against Collingwood I'd expect quite a vocal imbalance there too. Those moccasin wearers are everywhere.

Can't see us beating anyone over there, but pessimism is my middle name.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not surprising if it's us & Collingwood going as the AFL is restricted with which Melbourne based teams are a realistic option to head west for a hub

Was never going to include Tigers, Bombers or Demons as they have already played the Perth based teams, and you'd think the AFL would also be hesitant to send Melbourne based teams that have also played each other as it removes that match as an option in the round-robin hub format

Hopefully one positive that will come from this is that our remaining home games are played at KP regardless of returning crowds - though that might be a way off for Vic. And that we also are one of the teams with 9 home/8 away games (opposed to 8h/9a), and that we get 8 of those home games at KP should we play a "home" game while in Perth

Luck?

I wouldn’t consider being locked away in WA for a month luck at all, especially considering other teams might not have to do it. Plus, the game against Collingwood could count as a home game which obviously we don’t want.
hes taking the piss

GO CAtters

Still not confirmed as far as I can find. The Age says the AFL are still in negotiations with the WA government.

Luck is being the afl’s pet and hardly ever leaving the mcg.

Interesting fact, Hayden Ballantyne owns the hotel the AFL has reserved for the hub.

So the players should trash the rooms then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back