Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest, how are the WAFL and SANFL clubs going at the moment (pretend I'm in the north-east and out of the loop). From what I've read the NEAFL is done :(
SANFL is going ahead with round 1 soon, 8 team comp in 2020 and without Port Adelaide and Crows due to AFL not wanting to mix AFL and non AFL listed players because of COVID.

Last edited:
From what I've read the NEAFL is done :(
That's a good thing. It's a competition that doesn't suit anyone. Few traditional rivalries, onerous travel burdens on the state league clubs, poor competition for the AFL reserves teams. Now the state league clubs can play with each other, same for the AFL reserves teams.

But anyway, back to Port.

I've always been fascinated with the "what if?" scenario centred around Port joining the AFL in 1991 instead of the Crows. I also remember as a youngster reading about the new "Port Adelaide Sharks" team joining the AFL in the not too distant future. Eventually when Port's mascot was revealed to be the "Power" I found it to be a bit of a let down (deja-vu would strike in the case of GC & GWS, but that's another story.

To me, Sharks would have been an infinitely better mascot as they're aggressive, native to the oceans of Australia & seeming Adelaide were even planning on using that mascot before switching to the Crows.

One thing that I do like about the AFL-version of Port Adelaide is the choice of adding teal to their colours, which always had looked good. Minus the goofy Power monicker, had Port entered the AFL in 1991 they might have had a visual identity along the lines of this...

4UnvcBy.png
ThWGV0B.png

Now, of course, I've just taken the East Freo shark & re-coloured it but I'm sure you get the drift! As I said earlier in this thread, adding teal to the top of the prison bars jumper just seems to be the logical decision for Port here, so with thanks to Mero, I was able to drum up a little sample.

What do y'all think?

I've always been fascinated with the "what if?" scenario centred around Port joining the AFL in 1991 instead of the Crows. I also remember as a youngster reading about the new "Port Adelaide Sharks" team joining the AFL in the not too distant future. Eventually when Port's mascot was revealed to be the "Power" I found it to be a bit of a let down (deja-vu would strike in the case of GC & GWS, but that's another story.

To me, Sharks would have been an infinitely better mascot as they're aggressive, native to the oceans of Australia & seeming Adelaide were even planning on using that mascot before switching to the Crows.

One thing that I do like about the AFL-version of Port Adelaide is the choice of adding teal to their colours, which always had looked good. Minus the goofy Power monicker, had Port entered the AFL in 1991 they might have had a visual identity along the lines of this...

4UnvcBy.png
ThWGV0B.png

Now, of course, I've just taken the East Freo shark & re-coloured it but I'm sure you get the drift! As I said earlier in this thread, adding teal to the top of the prison bars jumper just seems to be the logical decision for Port here, so with thanks to Mero, I was able to drum up a little sample.

What do y'all think?
Didn't Gold Coast almost start as the Sharks? I reckon Southport in the NEAFL wanted have some type of bid or affiliation.

Didn't Gold Coast almost start as the Sharks? I reckon Southport in the NEAFL wanted have some type of bid or affiliation.
Wasn't aware of that. Another missed opportunity considering the seaside vibe of the Gold Coast team.

4UnvcBy.png
ThWGV0B.png

What do y'all think?

teal at the top implies the port adelaide wharf falling below the sea. not it.

Yes teal was chosen to represent the Port River so having it in the yoke has worse symbolism than Freo’s anchor. I really wish people would stop doing it because it just doesn’t mesh with the story of the bars and in addition to that it’s been done to death. Enough already.

I always looked at it as the sea stretching into the horizon. Never realised there was any officially-recognised wharf/river symbolism involved in the bars design, but rather that was just everyone's imagination taking hold.

Okay, so this was done by El_Scorcho yooooooonnnkkksss ago and honestly, I think if Port had have entered as this, there would be none of this conversation today. But the whole "Port Adelaide should have been the Pirates" conversation has been done to death, well at least it has on the Port board.

Anyway, here I think was the ideal Port/AFL identity.

AJPICja.jpg

It's a bit late now but if the club had have entered as the Pirates (makes way more sense, interstate maritime club invading the league, rather than a generic "Power"), everyone could have been happy.

Okay, so this was done by El_Scorcho yooooooonnnkkksss ago and honestly, I think if Port had have entered as this, there would be none of this conversation today. But the whole "Port Adelaide should have been the Pirates" conversation has been done to death, well at least it has on the Port board.

AJPICja.jpg

It's a bit late now but if the club had have entered as the Pirates (makes way more sense, interstate maritime club invading the league, rather than a generic "Power"), everyone could have been happy.
While the blackout aesthetic looks tough, I can't help but see that as a metaphor for "a shadow of ones former self". Just my glass half-empty view
Port-Bars-Shadow.png

AJPICja.jpg

Pretty badass.

While the blackout aesthetic looks tough, I can't help but see that as a metaphor for "a shadow of ones former self". Just my glass half-empty view
View attachment 899051

Sure I guess so but having that link to their original identity when entering the league would have been a lot better than the complete disassociation, so that “shadow of ones former self” idea would be redundant.

Effectively it would be an evolution of the identity, rather than a complete upheaval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AJPICja.jpg

This would just look like a plain black jumper from a distance.

If Dennis says it, it’s true.

Is there any actual debate here? It seem everyone else is fine with it coming back. I would like to see some spirited debate from Collingwood fans that are for or against it and

AJPICja.jpg

Yarr! (that's a Yarr of agreeance).

Last edited:
This would just look like a plain black jumper from a distance.

The All Blacks look f@&kin rad. Of all the Prison Bar manipulations this is clearly the best one. Once again we’re way beyond the point of compromise now, but if I had to pick an alternate identity for our entry in 97 this is the one.

It would never have happened though because we were specifically directed by the AFL to introduce a new colour. It also had to be unique to the comp, so no navy, royal, red, yellow, purple etc, it’s no wonder we ended up with sea green. Add in the push to BrOaDeN oUr ApPeAl and the all black pirates never stood a chance. No mother in a focus group wants their child dressing up like a bikie.

Last edited:

Wasn't aware of that. Another missed opportunity considering the seaside vibe of the Gold Coast team.

Pretty sure Southport Sharks (up until Gold Coast were formed) were interested in joining the AFL and even applied a few times.

Just a shame it never eventuated - would have made more sense.

Pretty sure Southport Sharks (up until Gold Coast were formed) were interested in joining the AFL and even applied a few times.

Just a shame it never eventuated - would have made more sense.
I remember watching Port Adelaide vs West Coast 2007 QF while eating dinner there. I think they had a Brisbane Lions jumper framed on one of their walls.

Back