The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Do we really think that Aus-Nz are going to get the hosting rights? I cringe whenever I see FIFA especially with their corruption

I was just thinking yesterday that it would be just our luck that Australia and NZ have a strong pedigree in women's football so of course the world cup goes to Colombia in some misguided attempt to encourage the growth of women's football in that country.

We are going to be screwed over.

ESPN reporting that it will be the African bloc that decides the fate of the World Cup. The Australia/NZ bid has secured 7 votes from Asia, 2 votes from Oceania, 1 vote from Europe and 1 vote from Infantini. Colombia has 8 votes from Europe and 4 votes from South America. CONCACAF (5 available votes) and CAF (7 votes) undecided.

So right now, Australia/NZ has 11 votes secured, Colombia has 12 and there are 12 votes left.

Dominic Bossi in The Age is a lot more optimistic. He reckons that Australia and NZ will receive three votes from UEFA (England, France and Italy), two votes from CONCACAF (Canada and USA), seven votes from CAF, seven votes from AFC and two votes from Oceania.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Look I hate soccer but really want us to win this bid!

it would be great for both nations and we have the better developed bid

Does Australia and NZ vote?
Their confederations are at least in the tank for them. If this fails it's because Colombia was able to brainwash Africa into voting for them.

If that SMH soccer journo is right it seems that the UEFA vote split hurts Colombia's chances, but if ESPN is right then I'd think I'd rather be in Colombia's camp (though with the caveat that I'm coming from a state of pessimism)

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Their confederations are at least in the tank for them. If this fails it's because Colombia was able to brainwash Africa into voting for them.

If that SMH soccer journo is right it seems that the UEFA vote split hurts Colombia's chances, but if ESPN is right then I'd think I'd rather be in Colombia's camp (though with the caveat that I'm coming from a state of pessimism)
From something I read, it said that Africa usually go with the evaluation scores so good news for us 😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From something I read, it said that Africa usually go with the evaluation scores so good news for us 😍

Bossi wrote something along those lines. A key figure in the African confederation has publicly supported the Australia and NZ bid, so that is positive.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

Who's confident? Always a worry when it come to FIFA voting!

I would love it to be AU-NZ but I'm expecting it to be Colombia.

PROs
Stadiums ready
Best evaluation score
Guaranteed successful World Cup
both teams ranked higher
dealing with COVID-19 well
First cross confed WC (guaranteed votes from two confederations)
Leading the way in Women's sport
First southern hem WC

CONs
FFA isn't favoured by FIFA
two country tournament may not be looked at as stable during COVID-19
Colombia have room for FIFA to help support and develop the game
Australia and New Zealand are powerhouses in sporting events so 'give it to someone else'
2022 FIFA World Cup Bid
Victoria's rise in COVID cases
ANZ Stadium development dumped

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I would love it to be AU-NZ but I'm expecting it to be Colombia.

PROs
Stadiums ready
Best evaluation score
Guaranteed successful World Cup
both teams ranked higher
dealing with COVID-19 well
First cross confed WC (guaranteed votes from two confederations)
Leading the way in Women's sport
First southern hem WC

CONs
FFA isn't favoured by FIFA
two country tournament may not be looked at as stable during COVID-19
Colombia have room for FIFA to help support and develop the game
Australia and New Zealand are powerhouses in sporting events so 'give it to someone else'
2022 FIFA World Cup Bid
Victoria's rise in COVID cases
ANZ Stadium development dumped

Those Pros out weigh a lot of the Cons imo!

One thing I didn't consider through is the lasting effect of COVID-19! A co-hosting national tournament could prove problamadic in the eyes of FIFA in future. But considering the 2026 men's World Cup is to be held in three different countries could be a good case study and dress rehearsal.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Those Pros out weigh a lot of the Cons imo!

One thing I didn't consider through is the lasting effect of COVID-19! A co-hosting national tournament could prove problamadic in the eyes of FIFA in future. But considering the 2026 men's World Cup is to be held in three different countries could be a good case study and dress rehearsal.
they better not be reading this and use that dot point to vote against Australia!

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Another thing that might swing more votes against us.

Australia's beef with China. If China votes against us then a lot of AFC and other confederation nations with links to China will follow suit.

Another thing that might swing more votes against us.

Australia's beef with China. If China votes against us then a lot of AFC and other confederation nations with links to China will follow suit.
If the AFC fractures the bid is definitely doomed, no questions asked. All reports suggest we have the full support of the AFC though.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I'm shitting bricks. I'm so used to expecting the worst when it comes to football.

I'd been hoping to stay up for the announcement, but I don't think it's going to happen :(

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
This is FIFA.

The fact that we want it so much is going to count against us for "growth" by a country who haven't worked anywhere near as hard as us on womens sport and don't even play their players, such is their care. But FIFA will ignore the reports and say this will fix south american womens football.

Why do I feel it is like Tasmania trying to get an AFL team with this whole bid process?

great sign.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
This is FIFA.

The fact that we want it so much is going to count against us for "growth" by a country who haven't worked anywhere near as hard as us on womens sport and don't even play their players, such is their care. But FIFA will ignore the reports and say this will fix south american womens football.

Why do I feel it is like Tasmania trying to get an AFL team with this whole bid process?

great sign.

If we can't get the FA to vote for Britain's colonial antipodes then we're proper ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back