Game Day Round 4, 2020: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs @ SCG, 7:40pm, 25 June

Status
Not open for further replies.
no enough is enough with hayward. a season with yips. now a season of nothing.

seriously cunningham has played in 2 GFs and is still the same bottom 6 player. also enough is enough. i dont care if hes from nsw

I'm happy to try Hayward in defence first for a few weeks (last chance though). Leave Mills in the middle. Agree on Cunningham.

If it is genuinely his knee that's his career done I think. Poor fella.

Unfortunately you'd probably be right especially for an older player.

It does highlight our list management problem though- Sinclair isn't a ruck and we have forwards who sort of ruck as backup and Knoll is injured too..

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Anything to inject some sort of excitement into the team. Not saying that Stephens would become Rowell and impress right out of the blocks but imagine him getting 20 possessions and making an impact in a win...
Didn't he play in the ressies a week back and not get near the footy?
Didn't see much in him to justify the pick tbh - but he's certainly not ready yet by that account.
Will be interesting to see Serong play his first game this weekend.

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
Well let’s see The horses wrap....be great if he took some responsibility and not talk about missed scoring shots...that’s a dud argument....we were out gunned and simply didn’t stand up when it counted...I couldn’t care if they lost by more but I care when they go timid, with a few exceptions...

rebeti

Rookie
Aug 15, 2009
windsor
AFL Club
Sydney
Unfortunately you'd probably be right especially for an older player.

It does highlight our list management problem though- Sinclair isn't a ruck and we have forwards who sort of ruck as backup and Knoll is injured too..
Could we give Naismith a break considering his injury and family bereavement ,our rebuild will take time and patience.The uncertainty regarding list sizes, salary cap etc during this unprecedented rebuild during a pandemic will not happen overnight.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
If we play kids we might get towelled up by 10 goals. But at least we’d develop the keepers and weed out the duds.

The alternate (i.e, the current scenario) feels like perpetual aimless mediocrity driven by a fear of bottoming out.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
If we play kids we might get towelled up by 10 goals. But at least we’d develop the keepers and weed out the duds.

The alternate (i.e, the current scenario) feels like perpetual aimless mediocrity driven by a fear of bottoming out.
Yes and no.
You get towelled enough times and you end up like Carlton, perennial towellees.
You need a balance to improve, not to just play 22 teenagers and hope they become a good team.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Could we give Naismith a break considering his injury and family bereavement ,our rebuild will take time and patience.The uncertainty regarding list sizes, salary cap etc during this unprecedented rebuild during a pandemic will not happen overnight.

Really worried for the club if say we arent playing finals 5 years from now because it could be a realistic proposition.

Getting towelled up by 10 goals is actually not how you develop keepers at all. Did you watch Rowbottom and McInerney tonight? They were two of the only ones out there who looked like they gave a stuff (probably because their spots aren't safe - ahem, Hayward & Blakey). They didn't get too much help in that regard.

Now imagine that week in, week out. With even more youth, even more opposition dominance, and even less opportunities for Rowbottom and McInerney because the game is never on our terms. How's their confidence looking?

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think tonight was a terrible first two quarters followed up by a serviceable but inefficient last two quarters.

We clean up our forward entries and move Mills onto bont a quarter earlier and we get the 4 points.

BUT we didn't deserve to win. They were better.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think tonight was a terrible first two quarters followed up by a serviceable but inefficient last two quarters.

We clean up our forward entries and move Mills onto bont a quarter earlier and we get the 4 points.

BUT we didn't deserve to win. They were better.

Basically a 4 goal deficit at the end of the 1st is pretty much game over.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Getting towelled up by 10 goals is actually not how you develop keepers at all. Did you watch Rowbottom and McInerney tonight? They were two of the only ones out there who looked like they gave a stuff (probably because their spots aren't safe - ahem, Hayward & Blakey). They didn't get too much help in that regard.

Now imagine that week in, week out. With even more youth, even more opposition dominance, and even less opportunities for Rowbottom and McInerney because the game is never on our terms. How's their confidence looking?
I’m just keen to see a Stephens or a Warner or even a Ling given a run, instead of being kept out by Fox, Cunningham, Gray et. al.

Really worried for the club if say we arent playing finals 5 years from now because it could be a realistic proposition.

That's why a heavy rebuild for 2 years, hit the top end of the draft get some genuine A grade midfielders. We can go up quicker than you think.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Tonight was a funny night and a perfect storm.
I think a few players playing tonight aren't going to be in the team next year (durr).

I'm not going to pretend I know what's right, but I really liked Mills in the middle. I liked Dawson forward (although I feel he should be a half forward).

Theres a lot I disliked, but I would prefer not to focus on it when it's was obviously a really bad game.

Oh, and Blakey needs some time to develop into a player that actually adds something, I don't know, he's going to be good, but he needs some time to find himself.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The first half was just not AFL standard. Some of our guys were just terrible all game. It is a good thing Blakey got injured as he was sh*te. He won't play next week nor should he.

Cunningham needs to fu** off. Put the pick on the market at the end of the year. He is one of the worst kicks and the person most likely to panic in the AFL.

Taylor. Well I thought he should have been dropped for only getting 5 disposals last week. If he does not go this week then there is something wrong.

I thi k we are playing Will Hayward wrong. I think he has to be a forward pocket not a half forward

We did not run Paps through the mids today. We should have as his disposal is very good. I thi k Dawson should have gone to Bont, not Mills. But Mills did OK. He just doesn't have the tank. Dawson does.

Some changes need to be made now. Time to get rid of favouritism. Harry is Longmire's Pet. Has always been. A Riverina boy just like John.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon you and your cat can f*** off.. because you're comments are sh*te

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Gosh, please say Mills gets more time in the midfield.

I don't know what's right or wrong, I just felt good when he was there

Was just a truly strange game of footy, largely because we back-pedalled on so many of the things that worked out for us last week, and largely because so much of that back-pedalling was self-inflicted.

Credit where it's due, Horse did really well at the selection table last week, and I said as much last week. But you have to be able to acknowledge the good and the bad. He had a bit of a shocker tonight. The three talls didn't work. Of course it's easy to say that in hindsight, but he took a gamble, and not only did it not work out, it didn't work out at all. I respect the gamble because I also shared his optimism in it. But the fact is I think a lot could've gone differently if we had a more mobile forward line, and Horse & co have gotta take some responsibility for that.

Not sure what he was doing with Mills. He's shown a lack of total willingness to move Mills out of defence when there have been plenty of situations where we've been crying out for it. Then he randomly decides that at half time of a match where the damage has already been done, he'll allow it. Again, not against it because it sorta worked out and I get the logic. But it was very peculiar.

Not sure what he was doing with Rowbottom either. Seemed to have really found his feet after 13 CBAs last week. You would think being a 19 year old you'd maybe wanna carry that on and see what he can do. Tonight he had 5 CBAs. The kid made lemonade out of lemons - second in clearances, tackles and pressure acts of all Swans, third in contested possessions - but yet again, a peculiar decision to make that change perhaps unnecessarily. Made even worse when you realise Bailey Smith who is the same age was given 18 CBAs for the Bulldogs.

Just a strange night from Horse. Contrary to popular belief he is not some stiff who refuses to try things and experiment. But tonight it felt like there was a bit too much of it going on, and it was unnecessary after what was actually a really good team performance last week, despite some weak links.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Sincerely sorry to hear about Naismith.

Saw a few Swans games live with him and I thought he was pretty good.

Has had a really rough trot lately. At least he is at one of the best clubs to help him through it.
Thanks for the kind words mate.
You guys really put us in our place, hahaha.

Its a tough world out there, and there are plenty of players cruelled by injury. Hope he makes it back, though I don't know.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
If Blakey didn’t have the family pedigree & was taken lower in the draft, I do wonder if there’d be much hype around him based on performance to date.

Still hoping he turns out to be an A-grader, but I’d hoped for a bit more by now.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks for the kind words mate.
You guys really put us in our place, hahaha.

Its a tough world out there, and there are plenty of players cruelled by injury. Hope he makes it back, though I don't know.

Cheers.

Sure your first two quarters were not flash, but if you had kicked straight in the third it would have been a very different game.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Was just a truly strange game of footy, largely because we back-pedalled on so many of the things that worked out for us last week, and largely because so much of that back-pedalling was self-inflicted.

Credit where it's due, Horse did really well at the selection table last week, and I said as much last week. But you have to be able to acknowledge the good and the bad. He had a bit of a shocker tonight. The three talls didn't work. Of course it's easy to say that in hindsight, but he took a gamble, and not only did it not work out, it didn't work out at all. I respect the gamble because I also shared his optimism in it. But the fact is I think a lot could've gone differently if we had a more mobile forward line, and Horse & co have gotta take some responsibility for that.

Not sure what he was doing with Mills. He's shown a lack of total willingness to move Mills out of defence when there have been plenty of situations where we've been crying out for it. Then he randomly decides that at half time of a match where the damage has already been done, he'll allow it. Again, not against it because it sorta worked out and I get the logic. But it was very peculiar.

Not sure what he was doing with Rowbottom either. Seemed to have really found his feet after 13 CBAs last week. You would think being a 19 year old you'd maybe wanna carry that on and see what he can do. Tonight he had 5 CBAs. The kid made lemonade out of lemons - second in clearances, tackles and pressure acts of all Swans, third in contested possessions - but yet again, a peculiar decision to make that change perhaps unnecessarily. Made even worse when you realise Bailey Smith who is the same age was given 18 CBAs for the Bulldogs.

Just a strange night from Horse. Contrary to popular belief he is not some stiff who refuses to try things and experiment. But tonight it felt like there was a bit too much of it going on, and it was unnecessary after what was actually a really good team performance last week, despite some weak links.
I've been really enjoying your comments of late. I don't agree with everything, but you have a good way of delivering the message.

I actually liked what horse did tonight by throwing players around. We saw a few sparks that can hopefully be capitalised on, although I don't know if they will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back