On the weekend I played...

NUSFJORD!!!
Great little Uwe, lovely limited decision making space that scales great from 1-5.

Nice theme imo and I like how the boards develop through the game.

My partner is a little more cutthroat than I think she is and oft picks moves to deny my scoring over pushing her own engine but that’s the game (and why she wins enough)
9978E335-0CB9-4D67-930B-6F00E6C217C1.jpeg

C9C94E07-C76B-4189-B950-B8019461C06B.jpeg

NUSFJORD!!!
Great little Uwe, lovely limited decision making space that scales great from 1-5.

Nice theme imo and I like how the boards develop through the game.

My partner is a little more cutthroat than I think she is and oft picks moves to deny my scoring over pushing her own engine but that’s the game (and why she wins enough)
View attachment 899840
View attachment 899841
LOl - you have to love these websites. $46?? ($125 postage):

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After having run each expansion individually, last night ran Everdell with Pearlbrook, Bellfaire and Spirecrest expansions.

Pearlbrook to the side, Spirecrest underneath, Bellfaire below that. Having all three and so many options we forgot to look at our special events, or Bellfaire market to see if would be useful. A narrow 66-64 victory. Will take a few more goes with it all to remember all options.

2C6FFDE9-E1F6-4808-934A-9A9F8A0B78FF.jpeg
BECAEA00-D645-4B0F-A208-150A948FA588.jpeg

I recently played a board game that not many of you would have heard of and it was awful. Thrive - A Game of Health

All I can find of it online is people trying to sell it: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THRIVE-...th-Services-2002-Complete-Set-H-/132929098245

Ridiculous game. In this game, my player contracted HIV/AIDS from having unprotected sex. The penalty was that my income was reduced for the rest of the game. There was no other card like this.

It was funny to play and take the piss out of it... but it was truly ******* awful.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Played Fury of Dracula (3rd or 4th edition). Only other time I played was maybe 10 years ago (so likely 2nd edition). The only impression I still had from that first play was that it had a lengthy play-time. This time round, I definitely enjoyed it, although the potential of a long game still exists. Despite the length of the game overall, everyone's turn comes around quite quickly, so there wasn't a lot of downtime (the person playing Dracula may have a different take though).

We got lucky early on: found Dracula and managed to inflict some good damage on him. We stuffed up combat a little bit (didn't realise Hunters couldn't play the same card in succession) so that may have helped. We (the Hunters) eventually won.

I do like that there's a learn to play book as well as a rules reference, but I reckon the rules overall could do with a re-write. Quite a few times we struggled to find answers in either book.

Played Fury of Dracula (3rd or 4th edition). Only other time I played was maybe 10 years ago (so likely 2nd edition). The only impression I still had from that first play was that it had a lengthy play-time. This time round, I definitely enjoyed it, although the potential of a long game still exists. Despite the length of the game overall, everyone's turn comes around quite quickly, so there wasn't a lot of downtime (the person playing Dracula may have a different take though).

We got lucky early on: found Dracula and managed to inflict some good damage on him. We stuffed up combat a little bit (didn't realise Hunters couldn't play the same card in succession) so that may have helped. We (the Hunters) eventually won.

I do like that there's a learn to play book as well as a rules reference, but I reckon the rules overall could do with a re-write. Quite a few times we struggled to find answers in either book.
Yeah we stuffed up the cards thing - we had it so you could only use equipment etc once and it was discarded for good, not just for the battle.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Friday night over to one of our board game group for games.

As the other two besides the wife and I are cat ladies, we took along to start with Cat Lady. I feel they had an unfair advantage:p

Then trying to remember where we were up to and how to play Stuffed Fables, after more than a year since our first go. We agreed not to leave it so long for the next time, so we don’t spend so long remembering / checking how to play.

592366BF-8FC4-425B-AF04-4536C8C9E156.jpeg

Then on to Power Grid, as looking at games shelves deciding what to take said to wife we haven’t played in ages and agreed we both liked and should take. Even longer since we’d played this so again took awhile to refresh our memories and finished later then planned. The ‘downside’ of having so many games (ourselves plus the others), come back to old games and takes awhile to remember all the rules.

There was some dirty looks at the use of fossil fuels and Uranium whilst we played, someone thought we should all have been using only renewable generators. 🤔

9FD5055D-311B-4192-BE98-19D7370AC26D.jpeg

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clutch win earlier playing Pandemic with my mate. Playing as the contingency planner as well which always makes things difficult but luckily a few event cards were in action very early so got to capitalise.

Playing betrayal at house on the hill tonight, can anyone recommend a good haunt to start on for people that haven't played?

Figure it is better to start with a good one rather than a random one.
It's been a while since I played. When you find a good one:

Here's a good way to force a particular haunt:

Or use the rule:
Optional Rule: Selecting the Haunt

This optional rule lets you avoid repeating haunts you've already played. If you consult the chart and get a haunt that you've revealed already and you don't want to do again, look for the next room with an omen symbol closest to the haunt revealer. Match that room to the original omen on the chart to find a new haunt number. Continue going from room to room in this way until you find a haunt that you haven't revealed yet. If you get through all the placed rooms without success, look at the next omen card you have and do the same thing.

Last edited:

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Played :

Century: A New World. I think it's my favourite in the series. Slide a piece of paper between it and Spice Road.
Dice Hospital: hunted for a copy for a while. Really like this game, a lot.
Run, Fight or Die: reloaded - played a solo campaign, which I've never done before for any game. Thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Lanterns : destroyed my wife in this abstract tile placement game. She doesn't realise I play on the app a lot too.

A few Haba games with my daughter. She's 4YO and really starting to understand certain mechanics of games and remembering rules etc. the ones they put out are perfect.

Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Mount Buller Demons
Played Sheriff of Nottingham with the fam! Love the fact that my 7 your old won and played it 100% straight! No contraband, no premium... just put bull truth in his bags 😂

I tried the exact opposite approach (I usually play some kind of mix) and just couldnt get enough in my bags!

I feel like my kids are getting the bug

#BoardInIso

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Our Gloomhaven group played on Tabletop Simulator on Sunday (using Discord for voice chat), and again last night. I'm told it took some time to get it set up to match where we're at with the physical game but well worth it.

Not quite as good as playing in person, but you do what you gotta when you live in Melbourne.

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Received a game called 'Final Act' I need the post today. 2P tank skirmish using simultaneous programming. Fairly simple by the looks of it, great quality components. Will play it a few times this weekend, see how it goes.

Surprised this game caught my eye, to be honest, it's buried way down the BGG rankings, KS release from 2016.

Had a few games last night. A couple of card games - one with a Llama - and then Judge Dredd Helter Skelter which is really good, but in which I did badly, then Dogs of War which is also really good, which I won.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
After close to nine months I finally retired my second Gloomhaven character. I was the first in our group to retire a character, but since then the others are on to at least their third (I think one is now onto #5). The scenario path we took hadn't been friendly to my personal quest so I convinced the others to start playing scenarios that led to what I needed. I loved playing Sun but looking forward to see what Angry Face can do.

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Played Wingspan https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/266192/wingspan for the second time. enjoy this game a lot; easy to learn and play; looks great. and the mechanics support and reinforce the themes. you get the hunting birds that prey on smaller birds; you get the nesting birds; you get birds that hoard different types of food.

one downside. the eggs look way too much like candy. i can see a tooth breaking incident one day.

There's going to be an Oceania expansion released sometime this year. looking forward to seeing bin chickens.

Also played Clank the mummy's curse. I always enjoy Clank, there's always little stories or funny moments. the overall risk/reward nature works really well - sometimes you risk it all and it pays off. other times you are cautious and still fail. I had a single turn where i managed to accumulate 7 clank. Went from a cakewalk to nearly dead. Great fun.

Back