2020 VFL season - standalone focus only

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not even close.
16 a side, Sunday only, on channel 10
Yeah and no Phil Gibbs and Bill Jacobs blah blah blah...it’s just the 8 former VFA clubs...a bit anal mate

Yeah and no Phil Gibbs and Bill Jacobs blah blah blah...it’s just the 8 former VFA clubs...a bit anal mate
So is lazily calling it the old VFA again when it is nothing like it.
The old VFA is never coming back.
This is a new era and new century.
Clubs are vastly different to what was happening in late 70's and early 80's.

This century is probably time to get the Nab League and this linked up for this decade we in for all players out of AFL system that still want to be drafted to the elite level.

AFL list sizes going forward will dictate the future. The past is in the past. Let it go.

So is lazily calling it the old VFA again when it is nothing like it.
The old VFA is never coming back.
This is a new era and new century.
Clubs are vastly different to what was happening in late 70's and early 80's.

This century is probably time to get the Nab League and this linked up for this decade we in for all players out of AFL system that still want to be drafted to the elite level.

AFL list sizes going forward will dictate the future. The past is in the past. Let it go.
Let it go? I’m simply commenting on a one off 7 round season. Sheesh!

On the women's side... speaking off-the-record with a handful of players, they are furious they're season got shrunk to Exhibition Matches.

Unlike the VFL, the VFLW clubs got zero consultation over the last 3 months.

On the women's side... speaking off-the-record with a handful of players, they are furious they're season got shrunk to Exhibition Matches.

Unlike the VFL, the VFLW clubs got zero consultation over the last 3 months.
This was AFL’s reasoning ....

AFL explaining that it was almost impossible given 10 of the 12 VFLW sides are aligned to AFL clubs and AFL players remain significantly restricted in terms of contact with the broader community.

My connections with VFLW were also shocked, "blindsighted". I think it is more the lack of consultation that was the issue.

Everyone knew the challenges given the minimal stand alone clubs, but there is more opportunity for men to play 2nd tier footy in 2020 - either AFL listed players in these scratch matches, or VFL listed players in the stand alone competition.

4 women's teams will play, but no connection to anything

So AFL listed players cant play for the VFL sides. Seems bit rough for those kids developing on an afl list and not getting a senior game. Only so much you can do in match sim.

Young kids on your AFL list need not worry as I reckon a number of spots will be available post Corona McKenna debacle. In fact his spot will be available for the rest of the year if he has broken COVID restrictions.

It's annoying the VFLW has been completely cancelled, but there is only one club directly linked to a VFL stand alone side - Williamstown. The rest are basically AFLW reserves sides (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, North, Richmond, Bulldogs, plus Casey/Melbourne and Southern Saints/St Kilda) with Darebin being a totally stand alone club without other VFL representation and Hawthorn, who do not have an AFLW licence and rebranded from Box Hill for no apparent reason.

Port have repeatedly tried to get a VFLW licence, but have been knocked back in favour of AFL branded sides, and other independent sides have had licences revoked or were asked/forced to rebrand to fit in to an AFL side, and I don't really see AFL Victoria making any effort to disguise the fact it is an AFLW reserves comp rather than a VFL Womens competition. So not really fussed as Port probably won't ever get a licence no matter how hard our women work for it.

I'm hoping that crowds are allowed in by kick off in August, and that all clubs get very high attendances, as it is the only way AFL Victoria will ever entertain the thought of an independent third tier VFL/VFA competition under the AFL and AFL/Eastern Reserves. If we are asked to play in the latter, trips to Sydney and Queensland will be a big ask for teams already struggling to make ends meet, and I wouldn't be shocked if most if not all of the stand alones left and tried to join suburban leagues.

I'm hoping that crowds are allowed in by kick off in August, and that all clubs get very high attendances, as it is the only way AFL Victoria will ever entertain the thought of an independent third tier VFL/VFA competition under the AFL and AFL/Eastern Reserves. If we are asked to play in the latter, trips to Sydney and Queensland will be a big ask for teams already struggling to make ends meet, and I wouldn't be shocked if most if not all of the stand alones left and tried to join suburban leagues.

I said years ago, it would have been best for the VFA/VFL standalones to 'jump ship' before they were pushed.

By jumping ship (especially as a block of clubs) you have a little power to neogitate outcomes, then when you are shown the door (like North Ballarat).

I know some favour Port going to the Southern league, Williamstown to the WRFL, Coburg to the EDFL, etc, but personally I would prefer if the likes of Port, Willi, Coburg, Frankston, Sandy and Werribee neogitated a 'merger' into the VAFA.

Merge those 6 into the VAFA Premier A, have a 16 team division for one year, relegate the bottom six into Premier B after the first season (with 2 allowed up from Premier B), then relegate the bottome 4 the second season (with 2 allowed up) until you smooth out the Divisions to equal numbers.

Those old VFA clubs with the bigger VAFA clubs would provide great rivalries.

Season to start still on August 1

An announcement on Casey Demons temporary home ground No far way
Fixture out by Friday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said years ago, it would have been best for the VFA/VFL standalones to 'jump ship' before they were pushed.

By jumping ship (especially as a block of clubs) you have a little power to neogitate outcomes, then when you are shown the door (like North Ballarat).

I know some favour Port going to the Southern league, Williamstown to the WRFL, Coburg to the EDFL, etc, but personally I would prefer if the likes of Port, Willi, Coburg, Frankston, Sandy and Werribee neogitated a 'merger' into the VAFA.

Merge those 6 into the VAFA Premier A, have a 16 team division for one year, relegate the bottom six into Premier B after the first season (with 2 allowed up from Premier B), then relegate the bottome 4 the second season (with 2 allowed up) until you smooth out the Divisions to equal numbers.

Those old VFA clubs with the bigger VAFA clubs would provide great rivalries.
No cash for players and no drinking for fans = no Port, Will, etc in the Ammos. Ammos is a high standard but exists primarily for eastern suburbs private schools. Such a merger would be a disaster for the ex VFA/VFL clubs,

No cash for players and no drinking for fans = no Port, Will, etc in the Ammos. Ammos is a high standard but exists primarily for eastern suburbs private schools. Such a merger would be a disaster for the ex VFA/VFL clubs,

Pretty much. Local footy will end up being the place for these clubs. It is the top level of suburban football which is what the VFA used to be.

I also think the lower salary caps would come as welcome to the VFL clubs, none of whom are ever totally flush with cash.

They have to convince the other clubs in those leagues that they should be allowed in, however.

From there, it’ll be up to the SFL / EFL / NFL / EDFL / WRFL if they want reform that could create a promotion / relegation path to a city-wide league or division that would be most similar to the old VFA. If clubs want it, it could happen - but it’d need buy-in across the board.

Pretty much. Local footy will end up being the place for these clubs. It is the top level of suburban football which is what the VFA used to be.

I also think the lower salary caps would come as welcome to the VFL clubs, none of whom are ever totally flush with cash.

They have to convince the other clubs in those leagues that they should be allowed in, however.

From there, it’ll be up to the SFL / EFL / NFL / EDFL / WRFL if they want reform that could create a promotion / relegation path to a city-wide league or division that would be most similar to the old VFA. If clubs want it, it could happen - but it’d need buy-in across the board.
You also need juniors to succeed at local footy. Pretty sure only Willi and Werribee have juniors. The VFA clubs have a huge challenge should the VFL be dissolved. Let’s hope that does not happen.
Are we getting a fixture today?

You also need juniors to succeed at local footy. Pretty sure only Willi and Werribee have juniors. The VFA clubs have a huge challenge should the VFL be dissolved. Let’s hope that does not happen.
Are we getting a fixture today?

Which is why any potential state league / city league etc HAS to have a promotion and relegation system like the VAFA.

Times change, areas change, demographics change. Clubs rise and clubs fall. Unless falling clubs are replaced naturally by rising clubs, the league simply dies it’s own death.

Which is why any potential state league / city league etc HAS to have a promotion and relegation system like the VAFA.

Times change, areas change, demographics change. Clubs rise and clubs fall. Unless falling clubs are replaced naturally by rising clubs, the league simply dies it’s own death.
No clubs or leagues would be interested in this. Loss of revenue for clubs, more travel for players, volunteers and fans. Not a winner. Not even an outside chance of ever happening.

No clubs or leagues would be interested in this. Loss of revenue for clubs, more travel for players, volunteers and fans. Not a winner. Not even an outside chance of ever happening.

Disagree. The VAFA has been around forever, and is absolutely thriving. Below the top division or two there’s no rivalries or real local games, except the odd one by chance. A suburban league could happen, but yes it would be a shift. You’d leave most divisions local anyway and just have one or two across the city.

Attitudes to travel change. There is absolutely nothing local about the EFL which is probably the most successful league. Noble Park, Doncaster, Balwyn, Rowville, Montrose? They voted to let Silvan in a number of years ago. They’ve now voted Berwick in too.

Outer East is a huge footprint from Healesville to Cranbourne. The MPNFL is single divisions now and stretches from Chelsea to bloody Sorrento. It’s a lot easier to get around than it used to be.

An away trip once a fortnight isn’t a big deal for most people. Agree it’d be a long way off but travel isn’t the factor it once was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back