Discussion Maligned designs you like (and opposite)

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty simple. Which jumpers / logos etc that are pretty widely disliked to you actually like?

And which beloved ones do you dislike?

Here’s your chance to be a big brave contrarian.

I couldn’t find a thread for this elsewhere, feel free to merge if there is.

I’ll start - I thought the West Coast tri-panel was a great jumper and one of the best in the league. I guess there was the emotional attachment to the wings but personally I think the tri panel is a way better design.

I didn’t like the early one with the big ugly picture -

images

But the latter design with the logo was great imo...

images

Strong, bold colours, a classic football design with the three stripes / panels, and one of the rare times a logo on a jumper seems to work.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I liked the WCE Tripanel as well despite being different colours from different sides. Like Port's current home it was more maligned because it was being worn against the will of the fanbase who wanted a more famous design returned.

For me, the Sky Blue Carlton clash. Forgetting about Sturt, I liked it and I'd like to see more of it. Carlton's monogram is so iconic that they are the perfect club to experiment with non club colour clash designs. Fluro green, bright pink, whatever.

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
There's obvious bias but since I love the 'Flaming Demon' logo so much, some of the jumpers others say are ugly are some of my favourites. In fact every single 'ugly Demon Head' jumpers are my favourites.

The Red of 2003-2004 and the Stylised 'M' of 2005-2007
1593085298945.png
1593085585461.png

The Revised Demon of 2009 and lastly, the Clash Demon of 2009-2010.
1593085660189.png
1593085752155.png

anyone thinking of talking s**t about the ochre best know I’m watching, and I’ll come for you.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This isn't the worst jumper ever like it was made out to be at the time.
Otten%20Douglas%20WEB.jpg

I don’t love it but I prefer it to your current clash. My main criticism is that the design on the front doesn’t really gel with the diagonal stripes on the back. I think the original concept with the graphics being repeated below the number works better overall.

2F916CBB-CE18-4ED5-BAA4-50B3CF2404F3.jpeg

I don’t love it but I prefer it to your current clash. My main criticism is that the design on the front doesn’t really gel with the diagonal stripes on the back. I think the original concept with the graphics being repeated below the number works better overall.

View attachment 899858
I think it does though. get what you are saying about the two distinct elements, but on the one from the guernsey vote, the graphic just stops on the side of the jumper, whereas on the one they actually made, at least it wraps around and then is stopped by the stripes (which I believe were a puma template thing, as the Hawks guernsey launched around the same time also had them.)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I aslo like the gold coast kit its just very simple and is s good colour scheme. I did quite like wave design. Looking back not sure of the quality of the actual design but do like the design concept.
Gold_Coast_Suns_Away_Guernsey.png

Agreed. I reckon it sits comfortably alongside their 2019 "Dreamtime at the 'G" guernsey as the best 'clash' jumpers they've had.
It’s strange but it works, although would be better without the writing and the “heritage gimmick”
Yeah agree, putting the number panel on Ports current clash has really made it. I think it's the best recolour of the current home we've done.
Yes, that was the seller for me. At first hated the silver clash but its really growing on me and now the addition of the number panel has really made it a ripper. Would be superb hand in hand with a home prison bar jumper.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
didn’t mind the white shorts and red jumper tbh, same with the wave i reckon they should come back
The Suns have only ever worn white shorts on a red jumper twice, and both times it was a red based indigenous jumper
The 21 times the wave jumper was worn in the season, it was always with red shorts.

Hawthorn v Gold Coast Suns (2015)Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns (2017)
1593329721602.png
1593329774095.png

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The Suns have only ever worn white shorts on a red jumper twice, and both times it was a red based indigenous jumper
The 21 times the wave jumper was worn in the season, it was always with red shorts.

Hawthorn v Gold Coast Suns (2015)Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns (2017)
View attachment 901958View attachment 901959
Still a nice kit design, especially with the juxtaposition of the blue wave and the red kit/logo combo

Back