Roast AFL Management Speak!

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we have been starved of footy and it is now back I would love to get input from the board on your favourite (perhaps non favourite) footy buzz words and phrases.

I am sure we have all worked in businesses with people that just love to trot certain phrases out. Footy is absolutely rife with them and our former coach was a walking encyclopedia for such words.

I saw the Freo coach on the TV the other day talking about Jessie Hogan from memory. He came out with a current classic.

Apparently Hogan is very much "invested in the program" right now.

In AFL terms I believe this somehow means he is working well with the group and giving his all.

So what other catch phrases either make you giggle or absolutely give you the shits?

Where do I start?

Weasel words run through every facet of our existence. Now that you’ve flagged it I’ll have an ear out for it.

A particular favourite of mine recently (and I use the term ironically) is the idea that we don’t think about things and consult any longer we ‘harvest’ instead. FMD!

I can’t wait for a coach to use that one.

• Banned
Where do I start?

Weasel words run through every facet of our existence. Now that you’ve flagged it I’ll have an ear out for it.

A particular favourite of mine recently (and I use the term ironically) is the idea that we don’t think about things and consult any longer we ‘harvest’ instead. FMD!

I can’t wait for a coach to use that one.

Why don't we "park that" for a moment.

As far as AFL management speak goes, Travis Cloke stands out as possibly the most eloquent, intelligent footy player i can remember. He is the proud owner of this phrase, and it literally encapsulates everything that is great in the world of management speak.

“Adelaide have come out and said it’s going to be a low-scoring game, so they’re pretty straight to the word.
They don’t talk a lot of smoke and shadows behind the windows.”

Glorious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one isn't a saying but it is really starting to get up my nose.

The whole "we need to look relaxed and be laughing" fad.

I am pretty sure it stemmed from when Richmond won the flag a few years back. Now I see a lot of clubs when they do their final huddle before the bounce laughing and telling jokes. The Hawks were doing it the other night.

Really ******* annoying.

This one isn't a saying but it is really starting to get up my nose.

The whole "we need to look relaxed and be laughing" fad.

I am pretty sure it stemmed from when Richmond won the flag a few years back. Now I see a lot of clubs when they do their final huddle before the bounce laughing and telling jokes. The Hawks were doing it the other night.

Really ******* annoying.
That’s reprehensible. Who the * do these people think they are?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back