Preview Round 4: Essendon vs Carlton, MCG, Saturday 27/06/2020 @ 7:40 PM (As it stands)

Winner winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
where do you see Walsh ending up as a player?

After that brilliant first year im not so sure he propels into superstardom, just makes some odd decisions and isnt totally hurtful by foot. Can never doubt his ability to find it, get into good positions ect though

maybe a Marc Murphy type?

Tom Scully but more able to play as a pure mid rather than wingman.

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
Love how we have devolved with tbell from panicking about how he will go against Gawn and Grundy to hoping he can break even with pittonet...what next? Praying he can compete with Shaun Grigg?

Love how we have devolved with tbell from panicking about how he will go against Gawn and Grundy to hoping he can break even with pittonet...what next? Praying he can compete with Shaun Grigg?

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
It would lessen it if anything. Norf are just another club to us, whereas we hate you with the passion of 1000 suns, and vice-versa

Pittonet isn't exactly the one to put it on a silver platter though, he's more your crash and bash, Mumford style ruck. We need Draper to be match ready quick smart though.
He has a habit (Pittonet) of dropping it close to his feet and Cripps gets in close and gets it out. Just watch. Cripps will have 15-20 clearances sat night all off Pittonet’s inside work.

2. 296 days since last defeat

While it's obviously a skewed statistic, the Bombers will enter Saturday night's clash having not lost a pre-season or premiership season game in 296 days. It's the second-longest streak behind league leader Port Adelaide, which is also undefeated across all competitions in 2020.

Completely meaningless stat since we've played 2 JLTs and 2 H&As in that time, but the last time we did it was 2013, got to 10th of May undefeated that year and didn't make finals the year before for a 351 day undefeated streak... 😅

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think Cutler will play on-ball. Clarke's only 187 and 87 and he stopped Cripps ( despite what the Carlton revisionists think). As long as the player who's given the role of tracking Cripps is an impediment to him taking possession, we break even. We probably back our mids to beat theirs if Cripps is out of the contest.
If Clarke was so good at it why didn’t the bring him in to repeat it. Might of had something to do with Cripps mentioning he was exhausted. Nearly was a late out v Brisbane the week after and we know how that went.

He has a habit (Pittonet) of dropping it close to his feet and Cripps gets in close and gets it out. Just watch. Cripps will have 15-20 clearances sat night all off Pittonet’s inside work.
You're guaranteeing he'll have 15 clearances or more when he's done that twice in his career? As good as Cripps is, that's a big claim.

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
You're guaranteeing he'll have 15 clearances or more when he's done that twice in his career? As good as Cripps is, that's a big claim.
You’re right. It’s unlikely. Particularly with the low scoring, big ground and less minutes. He had 12 last week at GMHBA and had nearly 100% of CBAs. I don’t think he can get to 15. But here’s hoping.

Both times against Adelaide too lol.

If Clarke was so good at it why didn’t the bring him in to repeat it. Might of had something to do with Cripps mentioning he was exhausted. Nearly was a late out v Brisbane the week after and we know how that went.
Exhausted my arse. He had two games under 20 possessions last season against De Boer and Clarke. He had 28 times week before and 38 week after our game. Clarke also nullified O’Meara, Parker and Cunnington last season before he tired out. Why he isn’t playing this week is irrelevant.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
So Clarke going on to towel up the likes of Sloane, Cunnington and OMeara points to him beating Cripps as simply being due to Cripps having an off day? Either you've got the blinkers on or those three were also exhausted. Probs blinkers.
Some Carlton supporters say Cripps tanked to get rid of Bolton. You say he was exhausted. In Round 11? The stats sheet won't show that unfortunately.
As far as why he hasn't been selected, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be the only one here who wants to see him play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
So Clarke going on to towel up the likes of Sloane, Cunnington and OMeara points to him beating Cripps as simply being due to Cripps having an off day? Either you've got the blinkers on or those three were also exhausted. Probs blinkers.
Some Carlton supporters say Cripps tanked to get rid of Bolton. You say he was exhausted. In Round 11? The stats sheet won't show that unfortunately.
As far as why he hasn't been selected, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be the only one here who wants to see him play.
Cripps, Sloane and Cunnington played s**t on purpose to get rid of Bolton, Pyke and Scott respectively, obvs. Clarke was just a pawn. And O’Meara wants Clarko gone.

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
A156EAD9-064E-4A0B-8001-F0A92D3D1F83.jpeg

As long as we don't see Langford in the ruck unless he's literally the tallest player in our forward line ever again.

I'm still concerned about the size inside. I kind of wish we had Clarke or Hibberd as an emergency

Ambrose would be cover for Francis, Hooker, Hurley
Guelfi would be cover for any of the small/medium defenders and inside mids
Ham would be cover for any of the outside mids or small forwards
Phillips cover for McKernan or Bellchambers

Honestly though I'd like to see Phillips in ahead of the others unless a defender goes down, move Snelling into more of a midfield role (as I think he'd have more impact there in comparison to Ham or Guelfi). We need that second tall forward I feel, especially if Stringer is going to play a lot at the centre bounces. I'm not a huge fan of his but I'd prefer having a second marking presence up front.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
As long as we don't see Langford in the ruck unless he's literally the tallest player in our forward line ever again.

I'm still concerned about the size inside. I kind of wish we had Clarke or Hibberd as an emergency

Honestly though I'd like to see Phillips in ahead of the others unless a defender goes down, move Snelling into more of a midfield role (as I think he'd have more impact there in comparison to Ham or Guelfi). We need that second tall forward I feel, especially if Stringer is going to play a lot at the centre bounces. I'm not a huge fan of his but I'd prefer having a second marking presence up front.

I think the lack of marking presence with Stringer at centre bounces isn’t a huge issue as Mckernan can’t start deep as CHF isn’t an important position for centre clearances. I’m more concerned about the non Bellchambers rucking minutes. Either Mckernan is rucking and we have no tall presence forward or Langford is rucking and the Carlton mids are getting spoon fed by Casboult.

I think the lack of marking presence with Stringer at centre bounces isn’t a huge issue as Mckernan can’t start deep as CHF isn’t an important position for centre clearances. I’m more concerned about the non Bellchambers rucking minutes. Either Mckernan is rucking and we have no tall presence forward or Langford is rucking and the Carlton mids are getting spoon fed by Casboult.
But it makes it super obvious who we're going to inside 50. And Weitering is in the form of his life, I can't see Smack having much of an impact. The second tall is really important for us IMO

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
But it makes it super obvious who we're going to inside 50. And Weitering is in the form of his life, I can't see Smack having much of an impact. The second tall is really important for us IMO

How often are centre bounces clearances anything more than just a high kick forward? They’re predictable to everyone so I don’t think that’s a concern as long as Mckernan can win the ball to ground it should be fine.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I can see where the concern comes from.
I don't believe it will be much of a worry today, but I really don't think we can go with this set up against Collingwood next week and especially Bulldogs the week after. With Heppell out, we need at least one of Clarke or Hibberd in the side as an extractor, particularly if it is a wet game.

How often are centre bounces clearances anything more than just a high kick forward? They’re predictable to everyone so I don’t think that’s a concern as long as Mckernan can win the ball to ground it should be fine.
We tend to feed the ball out to Ridley or Redman streaming through actually. Still, I'd rather have Jones worrying about Phillips or Bellchambers rather than getting a smaller player and be able to focus on coming across to help Weitering.
I can see where the concern comes from.
I don't believe it will be much of a worry today, but I really don't think we can go with this set up against Collingwood next week and especially Bulldogs the week after. With Heppell out, we need at least one of Clarke or Hibberd in the side as an extractor, particularly if it is a wet game.
I think Clarke is necessary to tag next week. Move one of the smaller players onto primarily a wing (Smith?) and drop Zaharakis (I know, dreaming)

I think Clarke is necessary to tag next week. Move one of the smaller players onto primarily a wing (Smith?) and drop Zaharakis (I know, dreaming)
I would have at least had him as an emergency, and spoke about him at the press conference to play some mind games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back