Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Meh, he hasn't studied Marxism in over 20 years

Yes, they call this a philosophical "dead end".

The only weapon left in the denialist arsenal is the claim that Peterson is a shill who's only doing it for the money..........................and then it's eternal impotence.

One of my favorite philosophers, Mr J. Rotten, has truly pointed out that the fact that "anger is an energy", but it's a pointless, dangerous energy if it is not wielded by intelligent people and with high precision.

This new "revolution" is doomed to fail, it's just a matter of how many bodies it takes with it. It has no destination, or control and was doomed to fail from the outset.

......and when the new dawn emerges, the true working classes will still be copping it in the arse........then we'll move on to the next distraction...........

Last edited:

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
I'm 41 and have signed up for footy masters, which starts in a few weeks. I grew up playing rugby union and have never played footy before.

My marking and handballing are ok But really struggling with the drop punt. Growing up playing union, my natural kick is a torp.

I can a drop punt kick ok for about 20 m max, but I really have to think about my routine. This doesn't bide well when kicking further or on the run, when I tend to spray it.

Should I just keep practicing the short kicks until it becomes second nature before I worry about long distances and kicking on the run?

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm 41 and have signed up for footy masters, which starts in a few weeks. I grew up playing rugby union and have never played footy before.

My marking and handballing are ok But really struggling with the drop punt. Growing up playing union, my natural kick is a torp.

I can a drop punt kick ok for about 20 m max, but I really have to think about my routine. This doesn't bide well when kicking further or on the run, when I tend to spray it.

Should I just keep practicing the short kicks until it becomes second nature before I worry about long distances and kicking on the run?

How are you holding the footy? Usually when people spray the footy they’re releasing the ball too early or too flat. Try keeping the footy vertical.

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
How are you holding the footy? Usually when people spray the footy they’re releasing the ball too early or too flat. Try keeping the footy vertical.

When I am having the 30 seconds to think about it. Its vertical. But when we are doing drills at training where we are running and then kicking I am pretty much throwing it on the boot (Jack Ziebell would be proud). Three things I know I'm wrong when I'm kicking on the run. I'm looking ahead at where I am kicking and not watching the ball fall on the boot; my foot is perpendicular and my toes aren't bent back; and rather than gudiing it with my preferred hand onto the boot I am just dropping it with 2 hands.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When I am having the 30 seconds to think about it. Its vertical. But when we are doing drills at training where we are running and then kicking I am pretty much throwing it on the boot (Jack Ziebell would be proud). Three things I know I'm wrong when I'm kicking on the run. I'm looking ahead at where I am kicking and not watching the ball fall on the boot; my foot is perpendicular and my toes aren't bent back; and rather than gudiing it with my preferred hand onto the boot I am just dropping it with 2 hands.

Spose it’s just down to practice then.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Focus ball drop on short 10 m passes.
If you have to hunch over like Jimmy krakour, maybe some highlights on you tube.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Before you kick:

Bend over to kick the ball like Plugger Lockett. That way you will drop the ball the shortest distance.

Find the sweet spot on the ball and on your foot. When you nail a kick its cos these two spots meet perfectly.

Stand on your non kicking foot. Don't worry about moving yet. Just be sure you are stable on the non kicking leg as you kick as fast as you can. Believe it or not getting this right mirrors the stance you have as you kick on the run.

So at this point the key things are to bend over the ball so it's as close to where you foot hits it as possible. The less time the ball has to deviate as it drops the better, so the shortest ball drop you can manage is good.

And to be stable on your non kicking foot.

When you kick...

As much as possible keep your hips square to the target and swing you leg on a straight arc directly at the target.

To kick ideally you touch the heel of your kicking foot to your bum cheek or as close as possible. Then just let it drop. Don't try to make it go faster or add any power. As your foot hits the lowest point on the arc as you kick that's when you add the power and drive as much force thru your leg as possible.

Key point. Hips square, swing you leg straight. Don't add the power till your kicking foot hits the lowest point of the kicking arc.

After you kick...

Follow thru. Kick toward you target after the ball has left your foot and keep driving the kick. Follow your kick thru as high as possible and straighten out your toes like a ballet dancer and point them at your target as the kick reaches the end point.

Key points. Follow thru as much as possible keep your leg and the kicking arc as straight at the target as possible and point your toes at target at the end.

I'm sorry if that's hard to follow but it's hard to describe, a lot easier to show someone in person.

Nicky Winmar takes legal action against AFL greats including Sam Newman after they claimed famous photo of him pointing to his black skin had nothing to do with taking a stand against racism

I don't get it, why would you make those comments, why would you try and diminish what an important moment that was in AFL. Really disappointed with those men, it just looks bad, if not malicious it makes them look foolish.

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
Before you kick:

Bend over to kick the ball like Plugger Lockett. That way you will drop the ball the shortest distance.

Find the sweet spot on the ball and on your foot. When you nail a kick its cos these two spots meet perfectly.

Stand on your non kicking foot. Don't worry about moving yet. Just be sure you are stable on the non kicking leg as you kick as fast as you can. Believe it or not getting this right mirrors the stance you have as you kick on the run.

So at this point the key things are to bend over the ball so it's as close to where you foot hits it as possible. The less time the ball has to deviate as it drops the better, so the shortest ball drop you can manage is good.

And to be stable on your non kicking foot.

When you kick...

As much as possible keep your hips square to the target and swing you leg on a straight arc directly at the target.

To kick ideally you touch the heel of your kicking foot to your bum cheek or as close as possible. Then just let it drop. Don't try to make it go faster or add any power. As your foot hits the lowest point on the arc as you kick that's when you add the power and drive as much force thru your leg as possible.

Key point. Hips square, swing you leg straight. Don't add the power till your kicking foot hits the lowest point of the kicking arc.

After you kick...

Follow thru. Kick toward you target after the ball has left your foot and keep driving the kick. Follow your kick thru as high as possible and straighten out your toes like a ballet dancer and point them at your target as the kick reaches the end point.

Key points. Follow thru as much as possible keep your leg and the kicking arc as straight at the target as possible and point your toes at target at the end.

I'm sorry if that's hard to follow but it's hard to describe, a lot easier to show someone in person.

Thanks mate. Will give those a go.

It's like learning to drive for me at the moment. Really have to think about every thing. As I said earlier, that's fine when you have 30 seconds to think about it, but on the run it all goes to s&^t. I suppose practice makes perfect.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nicky Winmar takes legal action against AFL greats including Sam Newman after they claimed famous photo of him pointing to his black skin had nothing to do with taking a stand against racism

I don't get it, why would you make those comments, why would you try and diminish what an important moment that was in AFL. Really disappointed with those men, it just looks bad, if not malicious it makes them look foolish.

Part of a San Newman podcast, hardly surprising.

Thanks mate. Will give those a go.

It's like learning to drive for me at the moment. Really have to think about every thing. As I said earlier, that's fine when you have 30 seconds to think about it, but on the run it all goes to s&^t. I suppose practice makes perfect.

You probably need to kick the ball a few thousand times to get it down pat. If you have a mate you can kick with that can go in a month or two, if you can find the time.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back