A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Sorry, but we should be killing the NBL... And it's a realistic opponent to go up against. Too many "all they do is dive" opinions from AFL/rugby land. At least NBL might be open-minded families.

And with the beach, if they don't put games at the hottest time of day, maybe people will consider HAL instead of the beach!

Hey I love The NBL (Go Phoenix)

We (the football community) should be looking to model our league on how the National Basketball League rebuilt it's brand and popularity after nearly 20 years of being in the doldrums.

Before the COVID19 struck, the crowds at the NBL were Astonishingly, esp for my new boys SE Melbourne.

There's no reason why the NBL or A League have to be enemies/rivals or why fans cannot enjoy both ?

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
That's genuinely devastating. While I remember Paul Williams before him, Simon Hill has really been the voice of every major moment as football came to mean something - 05 in Sydney, the World Cup, the first A-League GF, the Asian Cup Final.

It's not going to be the same without him.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

well this sucks

Good riddance, couldn't stand him, for some reason he has always had it in for Melbourne City (biased against ua) even though he supports Man City.

Was one of the pro MVFC fan boys in the Fox Commentary crew I felt.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Bit early for drinking

Only had 1 mate (so far :) )

Stand by my comments about Hill to the Hilt.

Didn't enjoy his commentary at all, and am not sorry at all that he is leaving.

Time for Fox Sports to get some flesh blood in their calling/commentary box and panels, Andy Harper and Archie Thompson need to bog off too (Archie is extrenely terrible lol)

Bozza can be a pelican at times, but his heart is in the right place, and when he has a meltdown, it's hilarious, wouldn't mind them adding someone like John Aloisi to their commentary team.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Good riddance, couldn't stand him, for some reason he has always had it in for Melbourne City (biased against ua) even though he supports Man City.

Was one of the pro MVFC fan boys in the Fox Commentary crew I felt.

Wtf? pro MVFC commentory Box at Fox? What have you been smoking?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Tyler is probably in his 70's by now he's been around a long long time!

Still good though, that Aguero call vs QPR is the most memorable piece of commentary in my life time.

In all seriousness, as I said before, former players like John Aloisi would be ideal I reckon.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Maybe he was a pro Smruf then, cause he definitely showed City/Heart any love :)

I think Simon was very critical in how City haven't grown or formed an identity even with the CFG puppet strings attached within the Melbourne community. To be honest he isn't far from the truth, how much has the club actually grown its presence in Melbourne from Heart to City? crowds certainly haven't and exposure is only slightly better, and you still have this little brother attitude towards Victory even through you guys are richer and have a bigger brand identity attached. If anything I reckon you guys have gone backwards. So I think Simon's criticism is justified imo.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Still good though, that Aguero call vs QPR is the most memorable piece of commentary in my life time.

In all seriousness, as I said before, former players like John Aloisi would be ideal I reckon.

Alosi as special comments guy sure, but what makes you think he'll be a good ball by ball caller?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think Simon was very critical in how City haven't grown or formed an identity even with the CFG puppet strings attached within the Melbourne community. To be honest he isn't far from the truth, how much has the club actually grown its presence in Melbourne from Heart to City? crowds certainly haven't and exposure is only slightly better, and you still have this little brother attitude towards Victory even through you guys are richer and have a bigger brand identity attached. If anything I reckon you guys have gone backwards. So I think Simon's criticism is justified imo.

In terms of growing our off field brand and crowds/fans, absolutely.

Least we have gotten our W League Teams and Youth Teams and A League squad right.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
So if you agree why the hate for Simon on the criticism?

Because he seemed to always be less than enthused when Melbourne City scored/played well in the games he called? I always thought commentators should be above such bias.

Anyhow he was far from the worst, Andy Harper and Robbie Slater made me want to self medicate during games they called 😀😀😀

Because he seemed to always be less than enthused when Melbourne City scored/played well in the games he called? I always thought commentators should be above such bias.

He was like that for everyone unless it was a cracker or important. Commentators should be a bit more reserved when there is a goal instead of blowing their load whenever the ball hits the back of the net.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Ftbl have an article stating that fowler won't be returning this season (with the article in my mind suggesting that he won't be returning at all)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Very surprising. I guess it would be either a) club couldn't afford to keep him
B) offer or upcoming offer in England
He had said on uk TV that the club wasn't overly interested in getting him back into the country for the resumption (so I guess option a works on that point)

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
He had said on uk TV that the club wasn't overly interested in getting him back into the country for the resumption (so I guess option a works on that point)
Seems somewhat mutual. I guess it helped Brisbane become a finals contender again and gave Fowler some cred for the turnaround.

Back