Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thursday, June 25
Sydney v Western Bulldogs (SCG) (N)

Friday, June 26
Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood (GS) (N)

Saturday, June 27
Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles (MS)
St Kilda v Richmond (MRVL) (T)
Essendon v Carlton (MCG) (N)
Gold Coast v Fremantle (MS) (N)

Sunday, June 28
Brisbane Lions v Adelaide (G)
Melbourne v Geelong (MCG)
Hawthorn v North Melbourne (MRVL) (N)

All players with socks up was a much better visual spectacle. Looks like the VFL even forgot about the white shorts away rule in this game (1989 from memory).

View attachment 901466

White shorts were optional in 1985–1990. As in, they were only worn when absolutely necessary.

For example, Hawthorn only wore white shorts (in those years) once, against the Bears in 87 or 88.

I am pro-socks up because my first ever pair of footy socks were too short for me (I would’ve been about size 10 when I was 10 and they gave me size 5-7 socks) so I would pull them up to about halfway up my calf without being able to fold the tops down. Now I wear size 13 and the size 10-12 socks are the biggest they make but I’m used to pulling my socks up so now they’re knee high. I’d love to see AFL players continue to wear high socks personally as it preserves the design of the socks (for some teams at least) but I can understand from a performance perspective why some players would want to wear them down. I’ve played 100-odd games and only worn my socks down a couple times when it was 30 degrees in summer, whereas my sister wears my old small socks because they only go halfway up her calf (doesn’t make sense given she’s a ruck and I’m a FB/CHF but whatever lol)

The heresy is the AFL being spineless enough to allow it; socks belong up, to the knee.
Yes, this is indeed the biggest issue the AFL is facing right now and should amend immediately. I for one have had my opinion changed and will now pull my socks up for my local games and I hope all reading this do so too. Captain's should be able to call for the same rule as when opposition is suspected to have too many players on the field and have all players line up in the middle of the ground, if any player is found to be wearing socks down their teams entire score should be wiped and start again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be easier to have a green shirt (and a yellow if they must) and a white shirt, with the grey sidepanels to match the shorts, and grey socks. Then they just need to change the shirts each game.

PS does't that gold kit just look mint with brown shorts. Love love love.

Hawthorn vs North a good match up.

North again in the Inverse with white shorts - no signs of clash or away this season?
They'll need a clash if they play away to WCE/WB, and (depending on what rules are/aren't enforced) Freo, Adelaide, maybe Carlton.

If the Hawks hadn't just recently won 4 flags in their traditional jumper I wonder if they may have changed to this V full time for a period of time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back