guys that aren't up to AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The below players should not be on an AFL list:

Bewely: Might be the best runner and trainer of all time but, like Tommy Sheridan, is not cut out for this level. Doesn't impact enough contests, and his disposal isn't actually that effective. He's 25, so don't think there is that much upside there. Just delist him and move on.
Colyer: The only redeeming quality I can find for him is speed. Often fumbles, often makes the wrong decisions and is not that effective with disposal. Add to all this the fact he's short and 28 - it's time he goes back to the VFL/WAFL.
Shultz: Can put pressure on and tries really hard but is just not good enough at decision making and disposal - 2 traits you need if you are 178cm in the AFL. He's 22 - time to move on. Switta is an upgrade as a pressure forward.
Matera: Smart and good with disposal but not fit enough, and doesn't really do a heck of a lot except try to snap a few goals every game. There is a reason the Gold Coast didn't put up much of a fight to let him go. Also, he's 28. Time to move on.
Wilson The game has passed him by, and he's getting selected from the form he had years ago (A bit like Ballas in his last few years). Young is already a better player than him in his second game of AFL.
Duman Just not good enough to be at AFL level. Pushed off it too easy in defense and not attacking enough on the rebound.
Banfield His only hope is if he is reinvented as a tagger but the game doesn't seem to have the role anymore. Not good enough with disposal and nothing really stands out in his game apart from effort - but that's not enough unfortunately.

The rest of the guys on the fringe are either young or unproven, so deserve to keep their spots until we can get a good look at them. I know this is a populist view but it's time to start blooding the youth and just see what our list is like.
It's harsh on the seven guys listed above but I have been following this team for 20 long bloody years and it's about time we got ruthless.

Bewely: Might be the best runner and trainer of all time but, like Tommy Sheridan, is not cut out for this level. Doesn't impact enough contests, and his disposal isn't actually that effective. He's 25, so don't think there is that much upside there. Just delist him and move on.
Colyer: The only redeeming quality I can find for him is speed. Often fumbles, often makes the wrong decisions and is not that effective with disposal. Add to all this the fact he's short and 28 - it's time he goes back to the VFL/WAFL.
Shultz: Can put pressure on and tries really hard but is just not good enough at decision making and disposal - 2 traits you need if you are 178cm in the AFL. He's 22 - time to move on. Switta is an upgrade as a pressure forward.
Matera: Smart and good with disposal but not fit enough, and doesn't really do a heck of a lot except try to snap a few goals every game. There is a reason the Gold Coast didn't put up much of a fight to let him go. Also, he's 28. Time to move on.
Wilson The game has passed him by, and he's getting selected from the form he had years ago (A bit like Ballas in his last few years). Young is already a better player than him in his second game of AFL.
Duman Just not good enough to be at AFL level. Pushed off it too easy in defense and not attacking enough on the rebound.
Banfield His only hope is if he is reinvented as a tagger but the game doesn't seem to have the role anymore. Not good enough with disposal and nothing really stands out in his game apart from effort - but that's not enough unfortunately.

The rest of the guys on the fringe are either young or unproven, so deserve to keep their spots until we can get a good look at them. I know this is a populist view but it's time to start blooding the youth and just see what our list is like.
It's harsh on the seven guys listed above but I have been following this team for 20 long bloody years and it's about time we got ruthless.
Harsh but this is needed for a long time.
Have glaring list problems that JLo has unfortunately inherited. Our obsession with ‘great trainers, runners’ types is infuriating. Bewley trained the house down, just like Sheridan did, but gee vanilla footballer.

I agree with you other than Wilson

Wilson has had injuries and during covid, that can set you back massively. Maybe he was rushed in? I think he's good enough when fit.

Matt de Boer might disagree there's no role for taggers anymore.

Unfortunately it’s hard to disagree with the names on that list and professional elite sport is a ruthless business so the needful has to be done. Duman is probably the only one I’d give a further chance to - Bewley gets reasonable stats but he’s too timid (that can’t be improved via coaching) and his possessions are low impact.

Disagree with Wilson and Banfield but am just about ready to add Ethan Hughes to that list.

I still have faith that Bewley and Schultz can make it, age aside they haven’t played enough games to know.

Love Schultz’s kamikaze attack, the polish will come with experience, though he will never be Steve Hill.

The comment on Wilson is just bizarre, back from a long spell out.

Duman has played decent footy.

As for Colyer Banfield and Matera, I’ll be interested to see what Longmuir does with them at the end of the year.

Still a way to go tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the only one of those that truly isn’t good enough to be on an AFL list is Colyer.

All of the others except Wilson are decent depth players and you need that on your list.

Wilson is an AFL player no worries.

Have to be realistic - players like Bewley, Schultz, Banfield and even Conca are all we can muster right now given the state of our list and the injuries we're perennially carrying. While it's tempting, throwing someone like Fredericks in has just as much chance of stunting his development if he's not physically ready for the rigours of AFL. Of course, if he is ready then I'd much rather see him playing but it's not always best policy to throw games at draftees just because they're young.

In saying that, it's also not unreasonable to demand that our C-B graders in that 23-28 bracked at least hit that level...tonight we had a fair few straight out Fs. Players like Blakely and McCarthy aren't exactly world beaters themselves, but deserve a chance if they worked hard in the 2s.

I think the only one of those that truly isn’t good enough to be on an AFL list is Colyer.

All of the others except Wilson are decent depth players and you need that on your list.

Wilson is an AFL player no worries.
Can you tell me which AFL team would pick Matera on this years form?
Duman was a third selection rookie pick - so almost all other AFL teams did not think he was up to it.
Bewely was a 22 year old late round draft pick - so all other AFL teams did not think he was up to it for 3 years.
Banfield was a mature age rookie pick - so no other team thought he was up to AFL level.
Shultz is a mature age late round draft pick - so no other team thought he was up to AFL level for years either.
Wilson will probably be on an AFL list, that much I will give you. He should be dropped though.

I get that some rookie list and late round picks (Ryan, Walters, Barlow) end up being very good players but none of these guys have done anything to disprove what every other AFL club was thinking by not selecting them.
They are not up to AFL level, and deciding to keep guys like this on the list is the kind of thing that has perpetuated the mediocrity of Freo for the last 20 years.......and I am bloody tired of it.

I’m happy to dump on admin, coaches or S&C but feel really uncomfortable dumping on players - especially less experienced players. That said the list above is fair, but I think the jury should still be out on Banfield and maybe Schultz. Freo forward line has been a career killer for years, early days 2020 no difference.

Wilson has an awful stink about him. Experience, high skill yet lack of delivery for the last couple of seasons. Injury can only excuse so much.

Disagree with Wilson and Banfield but am just about ready to add Ethan Hughes to that list.
How? Was best on for Fremantle tonight. Back to his best. Gets forward, marks. Not quite sure why people go after him. Sure decision making lacking, but that’s up to Wilson, Hill, Young. He’s an interceptor, goes in hard without a fuss.

I’m happy to dump on admin, coaches or S&C but feel really uncomfortable dumping on players - especially less experienced players. That said the list above is fair, but I think the jury should still be out on Banfield and maybe Schultz. Freo forward line has been a career killer for years, early days 2020 no difference.

Wilson has an awful stink about him. Experience, high skill yet lack of delivery for the last couple of seasons. Injury can only excuse so much.
0-4. Administration has to change. Time for a refresh in the S&C department. JLo wants his own team and rightly so. Richmond were bold and did it

Can you tell me which AFL team would pick Matera on this years form?
Duman was a third selection rookie pick - so almost all other AFL teams did not think he was up to it.
Bewely was a 22 year old late round draft pick - so all other AFL teams did not think he was up to it for 3 years.
Banfield was a mature age rookie pick - so no other team thought he was up to AFL level.
Shultz is a mature age late round draft pick - so no other team thought he was up to AFL level for years either.
Wilson will probably be on an AFL list, that much I will give you. He should be dropped though.

I get that some rookie list and late round picks (Ryan, Walters, Barlow) end up being very good players but none of these guys have done anything to disprove what every other AFL club was thinking by not selecting them.
They are not up to AFL level, and deciding to keep guys like this on the list is the kind of thing that has perpetuated the mediocrity of Freo for the last 20 years.......and I am bloody tired of it.

All club lists have players of their ability and back stories. Give me something that’s unique to us and then you might have a case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back