West Coast’s potential decline this year is to our benefit?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere already but as I understand it we have West Coast’s first round pick in this year’s draft as part of the Kelly trade? If their season continues to go down the toilet we may have our best first round pick in modern times?

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere already but as I understand it we have West Coast’s first round pick in this year’s draft as part of the Kelly trade? If their season continues to go down the toilet we may have our best first round pick in modern times?
When did you get out.

Early crow. They're better than this and about to play at home for a couple of months straight

Early crow. They're better than this and about to play at home for a couple of months straight
It'll be pretty difficult for them to finish top four anyway you'd think.

What a shame, we finally have a chance at a decent pick and our ability to pick players will be heavily compromised.

It'll be pretty difficult for them to finish top four anyway you'd think.

What a shame, we finally have a chance at a decent pick and our ability to pick players will be heavily compromised.
I dunno, this season anything could happen. If they start losing games at optus I'll be eyeing off Riley Thilthorpe in the draft

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Pies travel well so I would back them to win over in WA. I think if we can beat them over there, that's when they could really fold on the season. By the end of the year though I'd still expect them to be sitting in mid table mediocrity with us. We should get 3 picks close together around 11 at a minimum. Add to SDK and Stephens from last year and we have a base for the rebuild.

Pies travel well so I would back them to win over in WA. I think if we can beat them over there, that's when they could really fold on the season. By the end of the year though I'd still expect them to be sitting in mid table mediocrity with us. We should get 3 picks close together around 11 at a minimum. Add to SDK and Stephens from last year and we have a base for the rebuild.
I could also see them winning all those. That said, watching their second half against Port now and its not great

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

Pies do travel well but Howe is one of their most important players to be without, they will most likely play a Freo without Fyfe and we’re yet to win at the venue.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
They'll be fine. At least make finals. They're losing away games. They have a big block of home games coming up (in front of home crowds), and they'll probably win all of them. Season back on track. Geelong and WCE have the same number of points but only one has had the benefit of staying in their home state post-COVID shutdown.

If Geelong is to get a high first rounder next year, I consider it far more likely to be the one tied to their own finishing position.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s impossible to tell this season. Three straight losses post Covid is promising but they’ve played three in form teams (Port, GCS, & Bris). It seems like those three teams are ahead of expected front runners like Col, Gee, & Rich which is unexpected.

If they get to 2-6 I’ll start getting excited but so far I think it’s just an anomaly.

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
They'll be fine. At least make finals. They're losing away games. They have a big block of home games coming up (in front of home crowds), and they'll probably win all of them. Season back on track. Geelong and WCE have the same number of points but only one has had the benefit of staying in their home state post-COVID shutdown.

Well they have also played one extra game than Geelong currently and they did have a home game first game. But aside from that if it was us in their position then I think we would prob be in the exact same position, beat Melb at home, lose to a young energetic GC on their home ground, lose to Brisbane at the Gabba and I think Port would run rings around us up there too. Like you say they will be hard to beat back on their home deck and the home crowd is probably going to be a bigger factor this year than others given sides are going from playing with no crowds to a hostile Perth crowd.

This year is starting to prove just how beneficial crowds are at games. Richmond and the Eagles are struggling without the crowd noise.

The Eagles have 2 months of football to come with 60,000 people.

Gee Class Loco

Premium Platinum
Oct 14, 2012
Sleepy Hollow
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham DEN Broncos BOS Celtics
Always thought if we could have 3 selections around the 10-15 it would be a great outcome for us.
That thought might become reality.
In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up 9-10-11 which would be just fine after an asterix season we (AFL) are having.
If we stumble today vs the Dees i see a single digit pick coming our way and fingers crossed another from the Eagles.
The WA game vs the Eagles will hold the key.
People boohoo the lack of U-18 games to judge talent. We are all in the same boat.
But the fact remains we have early enough picks to go back, forward or exchange them for 2021 picks.
Glass is half full fellas!!

This year is starting to prove just how beneficial crowds are at games. Richmond and the Eagles are struggling without the crowd noise.

The Eagles have 2 months of football to come with 60,000 people.
Watch the crowd effect on the Umps now over there too...

GO Catters

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Just hope we don't spend them on thinking outside the box. Not players who've been injured so we try to get extra value.
(I am aware it worked once with Selwood. But it was only once)
Maybe just be sensible this draft, use the lower picks to try and get a bargain.
Also don't think Cameron is the way to go. Good player but won't be part of our next flag team. That's more of a bums on seats trade.
Just do things properly. No shortcuts.

I’ve got a feeling the pick will be traded for Cameron...GWS will match, or threaten to match our RFA offer.
I really hope not... we need to draft the 3 or 4 best kids we can get.

Go Catters

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Bloody hell don’t jinx it.

I just hope their confidence has been battered and the rot sets in.

Would love that top 10 pick from them that we wanted so badly from the kelly trade.

How would Tim Kelly feel ... goes home because they're struggling without family then he's forced to spend over a month in a hub further away than what Geelong was.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How would Tim Kelly feel ... goes home because they're struggling without family then he's forced to spend over a month in a hub further away than what Geelong was.
Bit of a difference between living away from home for years and taking a trip away for a month. It also wasn't about him; it was about his wife and kids. I assume she and their children are still able to be looked after better by family now even with him away.

I'm sure he'd be feeling fine, secure with a big-money deal and with his wife happy. Despite what some posters on BF would think, I doubt many players begin to instantly regret their decisions to change clubs just because of a bad run of form occurring when they get to the club. They wouldn't be very good competitive sports people if that was how their minds worked. And it's not like he'd be looking back at Gelong this year thinking, "s**t, they look primed for a flag! I really missed out!"

Bit of a difference between living away from home for years and taking a trip away for a month. It also wasn't about him; it was about his wife and kids. I assume she and their children are still able to be looked after better by family now even with him away.

I'm sure he'd be feeling fine, secure with a big-money deal and with his wife happy. Despite what some posters on BF would think, I doubt many players begin to instantly regret their decisions to change clubs just because of a bad run of form occurring when they get to the club. They wouldn't be very good competitive sports people if that was how their minds worked. And it's not like he'd be looking back at Gelong this year thinking, "sh*t, they look primed for a flag! I really missed out!"
He's playing like a man comfortable with his pay packet.

I'm sure he'd be feeling fine, secure with a big-money deal and with his wife happy. Despite what some posters on BF would think, I doubt many players begin to instantly regret their decisions to change clubs just because of a bad run of form occurring when they get to the club. They wouldn't be very good competitive sports people if that was how their minds worked. And it's not like he'd be looking back at Gelong this year thinking, "sh*t, they look primed for a flag! I really missed out!"

Caitlyn & the boys joined Tim in the GC hub - so wouldn't be getting much assistance from family at the moment:

Eagles superstar Tim Kelly is one of just three Western Australia-based players whose families will accompany them to the AFL's Gold Coast hub this week.

West Coast told The Age on Sunday that Kelly and teammates Liam Ryan and Tom Hickey will be joined by their respective immediate families when the Eagles head to Queensland on Monday...

...Kelly will be joined inside the Gold Coast hub by partner Caitlin Miller and their three sons.

Back