The Serious News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If they can link any of the outbreaks back to people that left hotel Quarantine without a test that would certainly raise some questions

I wonder if the NSW rejections were so low because people didn't want another 10 days in the hotel

100% on your 2nd point.. forcing another 10 days of quarantine with rubbish food and no exercise would drive anyone to simply get tested.

The stats were 5-10% of returned travellers have Covid19, 30% of repatriated Victorians refused to be tested, after 14 days those individuals are let out into the community. We only need 1 of those returned travellers to spread through community transmission and that starts the spike in cases, it’d then be extremely hard to connect the dots back to the returned travellers as community spread had already taken place.

Not ideal.

And yet interestingly when McGowan digs his heels in on quarantining those that want to enter the state to play a game of football he cops criticism

When he says no to opening the borders because folk on the east coast want to holiday - he gets criticised

All along he has said he will only take advice from the medical experts

I was amused Thursday when the conversation started “the national cabinet meets tomorrow and the opening of borders is high on the list with a strong message from the PM”

Friday morning 8am BEFORE the national cabinet meeting McGowan announced that borders will remain closed and he won’t even discuss a date

A day later Gladys closes the border after insisting that it won’t happen

I for one am glad his held his ground and atm MSM have no grounds whatsoever to challenge that

It seems like each state premier takes the word of their own internal health advisors, which, essentially means our fate is in the hands of how diligent and skilled each states senior health leaders are. It’s a raffle, unfortunately us in Victoria drew the short straw.

McGowan comes across as a steadfastly arrogant bloke but he has made the right calls.

It seems like each state premier takes the word of their own internal health advisors, which, essentially means our fate is in the hands of how diligent and skilled each states senior health leaders are. It’s a raffle, unfortunately us in Victoria drew the short straw.

McGowan comes across as a steadfastly arrogant bloke but he has made the right calls.
there is also considerable guidance from the feds. Each state is different, with different challenges. Different laws and powers to work with in some cases.

there is also considerable guidance from the feds. Each state is different, with different challenges. Different laws and powers to work with in some cases.

DA has gone completely against the grain from day dot

Steadfastly arrogant - how so
It’s certainly not how he is perceived here

Think it's the whole east West thing. Very arrogant of him not to do what NSW and Canberra want :drunk:

I mean I don't think you get to be Premier without a bit of arrogance but I don't think he's any worse in that respect than his peers.

DA has gone completely against the grain from day dot
He acted more quickly to close schools and quarantine arrivals etc but I don’t see how that is against the grain or has contributed to the current spike. The problem hasn’t been policy. It has been compliance. Given there is a two week lag, the problems occur two weeks before you can know about them, let alone act on them. This isn’t a simple situation.

Think it's the whole east West thing. Very arrogant of him not to do what NSW and Canberra want :drunk:

I mean I don't think you get to be Premier without a bit of arrogance but I don't think he's any worse in that respect than his peers.

think it’s helped that he is a military man and maybe that’s where the perceived arrogance comes from. He certainly doesn’t back away from a fight and when the state is criticised because it didn’t kotow to the AFL he will respond in kind. It was funny that Taita said that WA football teams had to harden up and do what’s right for the game when the comment from McGowan actually came about because Vic players refused to leave their families and come across when the idea of hubs was first floated

His offsider in Roger Cook, a staunch union man has also been rock solid along with the CMO and the WA AMA president. They’ve all played their bit

it’s also to be noted and what he has acknowledged is that WA is lucky in how isolated we are and that’s made his job easier during this time

Comes across as a guy who always knows best, doesn’t really take direction from outsiders that perhaps have more knowledge (Fed senior health officials). I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, his arrogance stems from understanding his health advisors are probably really well equipped to direct him. Looking at things now, I wouldn’t have minded him for Victoria 😬

DA has been outstanding i think - only our community compliance has been slack of late. I appreciate that he hasn't bathed in the spotlight like some other Premiers; he is short and sharp and there are no daily, rambling, stream of consciousness press conferences (e.g. NSW).

It boggles me sometimes how the Premiers of this country over the last decade seem more appealing and talented than almost of all of our Federal politicians, but State politics is supposed to be the 2nds.

Comes across as a guy who always knows best, doesn’t really take direction from outsiders that perhaps have more knowledge (Fed senior health officials). I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, his arrogance stems from understanding his health advisors are probably really well equipped to direct him. Looking at things now, I wouldn’t have minded him for Victoria 😬
McGowan acts like a leader, the rest of the Premiers act like managers of varying competency based on what party glasses you wear.

DA has been outstanding i think - only our community compliance has been slack of late. I appreciate that he hasn't bathed in the spotlight like some other Premiers; he is short and sharp and there are no daily, rambling, stream of consciousness press conferences (e.g. NSW).

It boggles me sometimes how the Premiers of this country over the last decade seem more appealing and talented than almost of all of our Federal politicians, but State politics is supposed to be the 2nds.

Oh my, boy oh boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGowan acts like a leader, the rest of the Premiers act like managers of varying competency based on what party glasses you wear.

Yeah, it’s hard to disagree with this.. Steven Marshall holds himself well, made a decent jibe back at DA when DA made those comments about SA (which I thought was great actually).

McGowan and Marshall have clearly been the standouts, Gladys and DA down the bottom but DA a mile behind them all.

Yeah, it’s hard to disagree with this.. Steven Marshall holds himself well, made a decent jibe back at DA when DA made those comments about SA (which I thought was great actually).

McGowan and Marshall have clearly been the standouts, Gladys and DA down the bottom but DA a mile behind them all.

6-7 weeks ago he was too tough, too slow to open up. Now he’s too ALP?

I have no idea what you’re saying

What’s your logic for Andrews being the worst when people started calling “Dictator Dan” a few weeks ago because he was too tough?

What’s your logic for Andrews being the worst when people started calling “Dictator Dan” a few weeks ago because he was too tough?

The hard lockdown I agreed with, I thought there could have been more transparency on the journey out of iso. That was my gripe

The hard lockdown I agreed with, I thought there could have been more transparency on the journey out of iso. That was my gripe

Yeah, I'd buy that. And they have clearly bungled hotel quarantine. But you only have to wander around a suburban shopping centre a few times to know we were going to get a spike. Their response now is incredibly important as Victoria will likely hold up border re-openings and the Trans Tasman bubble.

He is a CCP employee

Nonsense.

Yeah, I'd buy that. And they have clearly bungled hotel quarantine. But you only have to wander around a suburban shopping centre a few times to know we were going to get a spike. Their response now is incredibly important as Victoria will likely hold up border re-openings and the Trans Tasman bubble.

Nonsense.

So do you think that Victorians are so vastly different to the rest of Australia in terms of social behaviours? I would have thought that the general population act in a similar fashion? People still shop, people still head to cafes and restaurants, people still gather in public places.

Something has gone a miss with the process here in Vic and we really don’t know why we are the outlier.

NSW also have a very multi linguistic state, people from all sects, so they have those challenges too.

It’s hard to wrap your head around.

So do you think that Victorians are so vastly different to the rest of Australia in terms of social behaviours? I would have thought that the general population act in a similar fashion? People still shop, people still head to cafes and restaurants, people still gather in public places.

Something has gone a miss with the process here in Vic and we really don’t know why we are the outlier.

NSW also have a very multi linguistic state, people from all sects, so they have those challenges too.

It’s hard to wrap your head around.

No, I don't think we're vastly different to the rest of Australia but in my view it has got away from us via the quarantine facilities. That combines with some fairly lax social distancing and some carelessness by some family groups and here we are. Doesn't take much.

We don't have to cast our mind back very fair to recall the issues NSW had with Newmarch and the Ruby Princess. I see no reason why it couldn't happen up there again.

We didn't have the luxury of closing our borders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back