Play Nice Lives Matter - The hypothetical game of ethics

See if we are going to do this you'd have to restrict FEMALES to 16-40, age of consent to the general medically accepted period of safe pregnancies. You cant accept any child below 16 due to consent and because you cant guarantee fertility. And even then you'll need to test all these people.

As for men, well, we can be fertile for significantly longer without detrimental outcomes on pregnancies. So say we did 16-50 or 16-60 for men. Still got to test their swimmers.

[
And what genetic traits do we view as superior? Strength, intelligence, empathy, happiness? Is a dumb happy person more superior than a depressed intelligent person?
If depression and low intelligence have genetic links then they could be put with the rest of the congenital defects that humanity would cure if it could

[
If depression and low intelligence have genetic links then they could be put with the rest of the congenital defects that humanity would cure if it could

We wont know this for sure until we fully map the brain of enough people of varying intelligence, depression susceptibility and other variation things.

For example, and I have to stress this is MY OPINION AND I COULD BE WRONG. I believe that in terms of sexual preference in humans, IE: Homosexuality, Bisexuality etc, its a genetic thing. Animals, humans, etc are designed to be attracted to the opposite sex for means of furthering the species. We have seen evidence of animals not sticking to this strictly and having relations for pleasure, something humans also do. But I suspect that at a genetic level some people are born quite literally wired to find the SAME sex more attractive for partnering with.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
[

LOL, you still have to make up a population of 2 billion.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
See if we are going to do this you'd have to restrict FEMALES to 16-40, age of consent to the general medically accepted period of safe pregnancies. You cant accept any child below 16 due to consent and because you cant guarantee fertility. And even then you'll need to test all these people.

As for men, well, we can be fertile for significantly longer without detrimental outcomes on pregnancies. So say we did 16-50 or 16-60 for men. Still got to test their swimmers.

Not everyone would need to be a breeder.

We value people over 40 for their experience and wisdom. Most company directors, public service leaders and politicians are over 40. Grandparents make a significant contribution to families. However, there is a decline in utility and increase in health burden over time so I propose a cut off age of 70.

We value children for their potential, but not all children have the same potential. IQ is a good predictor of success. For children too young to have IQ measured you could exclude them, or use their parent's IQ.

How about we base the whole thing on IQ? We would be taking all the scientists, doctors, business leaders, farmers, IT people and teachers. We would drop most criminals and other dregs of society - also, two birds with one stone, we could also exclude anyone with a law degree. There would be a fair spread of people at breeding age to further the population. It would be equitable across all people around the world, and neutral of political persuasion.

Not everyone would need to be a breeder.

We value people over 40 for their experience and wisdom. Most company directors, public service leaders and politicians are over 40. Grandparents make a significant contribution to families. However, there is a decline in utility and increase in health burden over time so I propose a cut off age of 70.

We value children for their potential, but not all children have the same potential. IQ is a good predictor of success. For children too young to have IQ measured you could exclude them, or use their parent's IQ.

How about we base the whole thing on IQ? We would be taking all the scientists, doctors, business leaders, farmers, IT people and teachers. We would drop most criminals and other dregs of society - also, two birds with one stone, we could also exclude anyone with a law degree. There would be a fair spread of people at breeding age to further the population. It would be equitable across all people around the world, and neutral of political persuasion.

Its been shown higher IQ people tend to breed less, this could be a legitimate concern.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Its been shown higher IQ people tend to breed less, this could be a legitimate concern.

Higher IQ people tend to have a higher standard of living. People with a higher standard of living have an expectation that their children will live to adult age so might have less children than their parents.

We are talking about a hypothetical here so depending on future circumstances people might breed differently. Future governments could incentivise increased childbirth if required.

Higher IQ people tend to have a higher standard of living. People with a higher standard of living have an expectation that their children will live to adult age so might have less children than their parents.

We are talking about a hypothetical here so depending on future circumstances people might breed differently. Future governments could incentivise increased childbirth if required.

Hmm, cant FORCE breeding obviously, but yeah, we would be best to focus on...breeding the best of us, as bad as it sounds.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Hmm, cant FORCE breeding obviously, but yeah, we would be best to focus on...breeding the best of us, as bad as it sounds.

The hypothetical is about culling 75% of the worlds population. So 'as bad as it sounds' might not be as bad as it would turn out.

I'm failing to see the point of this hypothetical so I might dip out.

The hypothetical is about culling 75% of the worlds population. So 'as bad as it sounds' might not be as bad as it would turn out.

I'm failing to see the point of this hypothetical so I might dip out.

The point of the hypothetical is how would we fairly, morally, divide up the entire human species in a fair way if forced to.

Who would do the actual work? And who would do the inventing?

I think no-one over 50, then a lottery but China, Africa and South America dont get any.

Should be about a 50 / 50 chance.
Keeping the Middle East and India?

Who would do the actual work? And who would do the inventing?

I think no-one over 50, then a lottery but China, Africa and South America dont get any.

Should be about a 50 / 50 chance.

China, Africa and South America suffer purely because of where they were born.

Wow.

I have just...no words aye.

Middle East can probably miss out. India is the largest democracy in the world, so they should surely be included.
Fair enough, I would keep everyone in Australia first though. Then probably US, Canada and European countries. How many does that leave?

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair enough, I would keep everyone in Australia first though. Then probably US, Canada and European countries. How many does that leave?
You'd keep everyone in these countries? Even the ones that don't have white skin?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The world is visited by an overwhelming and impossible to counter power that has grown angry with humanity, it says our planet can only sustain 2 billion people and it will give us one year to choose which 2 billion are saved as it wipes out the rest and resets the globe to factory settings.

If we do not choose, everyone dies.

How do you select the 2 billion to survive?
Sounds suspiciously like "god", I would choose to die with everyone else. The human race has had their chance time to let the aliens have a go.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Does humanity need a fair sample of people to get the best result for our species coming out the other side a disaster where we lose so many?

I'd argue that humanity losing some of our best minds under the guise of being more fair doesn't achieve a worthwhile result when Taylor the stay at home gold digging mother is there at the expense of a surgeon.
But relative value is not a fair/just means of denoting value overall. Your stay at home gold digging mother could be the mother of 4, all of whom go on to become surgeons because their mother believed in them and gave them the help they needed.

Placing people on a hierarchy is a chilling way to solve this exercise. Either people are created equal, or they are not.

Back