Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Typically - Sam Kerr would earn the total AFLW :rolleyes: budget.
Bit like Dan Ricciardo earning more than the Supercars total wage bill, a difficult concept for the yokel set.

Sam Kerr earns $8M a year?

RedV3x 's point is that it is very risky having the national profile of a team sport resting on one or few players and one national team. Obviously individual sports that is natural.

Men's soccer and rugby have both suffered from having so many eggs in so few baskets. What the strong national sports with the big domestic leagues have is an in built hedge. There is always a few clubs doing really well and generally there are high profile stars at every club

It could follow in the footsteps of AFLW.

The ridiculous thing about who you responded to is that that particular person made many many posts insisting that the advent of AFLW had NOT created a seismic shift in Australian women's pro sport. Now it looks like he is going to be yelling in capslock at anyone who suggests the world cup isn't as significant as he'd like to think. A prize hypocrite

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Men's soccer and rugby have both suffered from having so many eggs in so few baskets.

Historically cricket did very well with test cricket while interstate cricket often numbered in the hundreds.
Australian cricket is a lot less powerful internationally now but heaps stronger domestically with ODIs and BBL.

Historically Union did well under the Wallabies. SRU and COVID have left ARU in a very confused state w.r.t. international vs domestic.

Historically soccer has benefited from the Socceroos exposure but currently that means nothing for the domestic competition.

Historically, even RL has done well internationally until the strength of the NRL imbalanced the competition.

[/QUOTE]

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why? There is a hyped world cup every 4 years. And every 4 years, the A league is going to piggyback the hype to success, and every 4 years, almost nothing changes. If having a world cup at home meant the a league got 5 x the bounce it gets from a normal world cup, that amounts to not much.

Hype for the womens word cup now is big, but that will last about a week. We arent even going to have to qualify, so that means the lead up games will all be friendlies. The hype for the world cup will start to return in the run up to it.

In the meantime, the AFLW will have had 3 full seasons.

My prediction is, the AFLWs 3 domestic seasons will bring about more growth in womens footy over the next 3 years than 1 month of the world cup brings womens soccer.
I was referring to the men's soccer world cup being held in Australia

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've always found that a strange argument - are women not as interested in the quality of the game on show? People - women included - tend to prefer mens sport simply because it's better quality.
The AFLW games i've been to wouldn't have much different a male/female split in the crowd than an AFL game. If there are more women and girls in the crowd then it's marginal.
Never forget it's free admission as well

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
I don't think anyone would be surprised to discover that AFLW ratings are a few multiples above that of the W-League.
Indeed, on any given weekend, you'd find one or two AFLW games outrating the highest A-League game, and the rest would sit very easily in the middle of all A-League games.
Some A-League games this season had shockingly low ratings, a few games bumping around 10k.
There were even some occasions where the attendance at the ground was actually quite close to the TV rating.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The last women's soccer WC was in France, Europe. Not only can Europeans drive to France but flying to Europe is also well catered for.
Australia's tourism suffered greatly because of Australia's position. Every person I've met in Europe says Australia is just too far to travel.

Thats the real world of sporting events in Aus over a period. Perhaps cricket is a good example, the Tests get a following, not so the lead up games.

Aus Tourism in cooperation with NZ, needs to get involved in targeted marketing to max the crowds internationally & locally. Its not the Olympics.

Was the womens cricket event what was expected in the lead up?

Last edited:

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
If there is a link out there I'm sure he will post it.
I know you agree with me that when somebody makes a claim they should always back up that claim with a link.

pretty sure there is a few on here, would be from last year or perhaps from even the season before

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
And that it’s a huge event that this country will probably never have in our lifetimes again. Same as Olympic even commonwealth games sports. It will create a hell of a lot of interest when it comes around

Yeah I think you are overcooking somewhat!

I agree that there will be as many drawn to the "event" than there are by jingoism

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thats' the real world of sporting events in Aus over a period. Perhaps cricket is a good example, the Tests get a following, not so the lead up games.

You continue to confuse items. "Following' and 'attendance' can be twp completely different measures.

Aus Tourism in cooperation with NZ, needs to get involved in targeted marketing to max the crowds internationally & locally.

Needs, needs, needs ...... I've been saying for decades that Aus Tourism has no idea.
I don't believe Aus Tourism is in tune with what overseas tourists want these days
and I don't believe there is enough time to do it in, considering all the challenges.

Its not the Olympics.

Not even close.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I highly doubt we get it in the next 60 years. Personally at a guess I think it’ll be like hosting the Australian open that goes on for a month.

Yeah, I think you are over reaching by some rather large order of magnitude!

The AFL will have a higher aggregate attendance and gate taking (including season tickets pro-ratad) in the 5 weeks it is on. In Australia there will be ho hum TV ratings outside of Matildas games and the later finals.

Even internationally it remains to be seen whether the level of engagement will be remotely close in europe to what it was in the last world cup where it was actually on in europe. Even then there were scores of empty seats at most matches. It will be on early morning to middayish in europe and middle of the night to morning in north america.

Back