Game Day Round3/4 Vs Cats MCG @15:35 AEST- Playing footy likes it's 1860: The Ancient Argyle Duel

Remove this Banner Ad

Coughing up 2-3 easy goals in the third cost us

Salem should of pulled the kick earlier then hit 15m out

Tomlinson rushes his kick

And he kicked to the pocket to a 1 on 4 and the one was Hannan (I think?)

Some good learnings though

I've finally identified our brand as low scoring garbage. Goody would be happy that the supporters are seeing that consistency he was hoping for.

Honestly, the non free kick to Melksham about 40m out was worse than Salem slowing down, and Tomlinson rushing

What about the front on contact to melks at the start of the last

the rule was out the window today

Our forwards are already at a disadvantage in that they straight away have to balance out all the straight up conceded marks/goals Goodwin allows Hawkins to take.

didnt once make a move to limit that.

he is just so so s**t.

have so many mates bombarding me with texts on how s**t he is. They all see it, yet out club lives in fantasy “learning experience“ land.

clearly there’s something wrong down there - I harp on about Simon looking like he’s about to cry, but I’m dead serious. He’s got issues he can’t overcome.

The players might be “matey” with him, but there’s no willingness to fight for him. The culture is non-existent, just a bunch of guys bombing away, hoping to fall over the line ahead. No one has been coached to WANT to win a game off their own boot. They’re more interested in this weeks social media takeover or whos holding the gopro.

I absolutely abhor our forward press.

I’m talking about defending kick-ins. Geelong defenders are under no pressure. When Geelong advance it to 30-40M out, the Geelong players go up the ground. Our forwards don’t follow them.

So what eventuates is a guy like Stewart or Tuohy has the footy 30-40M from their goal, with all their teammates on the wing/corridor. We always have 2-3 guys not picking up a fan on the F50 line. WHY. It always leaves Geelong with guys open.

Teams with good kicks will slice our forward press up. The reason we’re always struggling and back-pedalling with the opponents getting easy overlap on the wings, is because of this stupid forward press.

I talked about this all the way back in pre season vs Adelaide. It seems Goodwin is absolutely enamoured with this forward press/zone. And it doesn't work.

Same with our bomb to a point 25m out directly in front as our go-to inside 50 kick. Today we tried to lower our eyes which was better(kicking inside 50 is clearly improved since the break, even if its not great yet).

I think effort wise we were fantastic. Lot of 2 on 1 contests in their favour halved. Tomlinson big time late. TMac all game: that's what your full forward does in the modern game. Crashed about 10 packs where he was outnumbered, that mark late was the first chance he had to actually fly at the footy without a man putting body pressure on him.

But this game just shows how we can never make finals with Goodwin as coach.

This really ******* hurts. We had our mids towel up one of the better midfield groups in the comp. We busted our guts till the very end. May spoiled EVERYTHING and didn't lose a single one on one. Lever was composed rebounding from 50. You cannot fault the effort today. But the gameplan is just horrid.

Couldn't Salem get that distance anyway?
Think the issue was more around his non urgency.

Had he sprinted when he had the 50 he potentially had two players over the back to go long too

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forwards are already at a disadvantage in that they straight away have to balance out all the straight up conceded marks/goals Goodwin allows Hawkins to take.

didnt once make a move to limit that.

he is just so so sh*t.

have so many mates bombarding me with texts on how sh*t he is. They all see it, yet out club lives in fantasy “learning experience“ land.

clearly there’s something wrong down there - I harp on about Simon looking like he’s about to cry, but I’m dead serious. He’s got issues he can’t overcome.

The players might be “matey” with him, but there’s no willingness to fight for him. The culture is non-existent, just a bunch of guys bombing away, hoping to fall over the line ahead. No one has been coached to WANT to win a game off their own boot. They’re more interested in this weeks social media takeover or whos holding the gopro.

not sure what you want Goodwin/defenders to stop some of the delivery Hawkins got.

good example the goal he kicked in the last, it was a shot handball from gus that turned it over and allowed Geelong to stream Forward

similar in the third, Oliver gives away a free all Melbourne players stand still and let Sanger handball the advantage and then laces it to Hawkins

Maybe I’m seeing something no one else did, but the 2nd and 4th quarters is how we should play and we can do it better. Even the first quarter we defended reasonably well. Just those 3 stupid mistakes that cost us.

We defiantly need to keep moving the ball fast, you can see the forwards want and need space to work it. If we move it slow we will be screwed for the season.

Maybe I’m seeing something no one else did, but the 2nd and 4th quarters is how we should play and we can do it better. Even the first quarter we defended reasonably well. Just those 3 stupid mistakes that cost us.

We defiantly need to keep moving the ball fast, you can see the forwards want and need space to work it. If we move it slow we will be screwed for the season.
Nah none of that game was good from a structural perspective.

Agree going forward we are lowering the eyes a bit more.

Fritta's first was just a peach of a play; beautiful ball movement, most important some guys not afraid to break a line and use the non preferred. Milkshakes from the boundary, on his left, into Tomlinson(I think) on the edge of the centre square: that is ridiculous skill/composure.

Think we should still be able to play off the counter even without that stupid forward press though. We did it fine in 2018 playing safe behind the footy defensively and attacking in waves. Our best game last year(away vs Eagles) involved us doing the same thing; setup super deep behind the footy, attacked in waves with guys like Trac Hunt Clarry etc.

Maybe I am just getting old but gee 50 years of a hell of a lot more disappointment than highs and I really thought this group had something but today really was crap - panic stupidity in the forward line, panic stupidity in the backline, handballs to nowhere, not sticking tackles or marks. Generally optimistic but today killed me.

Nah none of that game was good from a structural perspective.

Agree going forward we are lowering the eyes a bit more.

Fritta's first was just a peach of a play; beautiful ball movement, most important some guys not afraid to break a line and use the non preferred. Milkshakes from the boundary, on his left, into Tomlinson(I think) on the edge of the centre square: that is ridiculous skill/composure.

Think we should still be able to play off the counter even without that stupid forward press though. We did it fine in 2018 playing safe behind the footy defensively and attacking in waves. Our best game last year(away vs Eagles) involved us doing the same thing; setup super deep behind the footy, attacked in waves with guys like Trac Hunt Clarry etc.

if we didn’t set up behind the ball today then why did geelong chip it around so much?

Maybe I am just getting old but gee 50 years of a hell of a lot more disappointment than highs and I really thought this group had something but today really was crap - panic stupidity in the forward line, panic stupidity in the backline, handballs to nowhere, not sticking tackles or marks. Generally optimistic but today killed me.

I take more out of today than I did against Carlton

And ... I genuinely believe they are a good group of player .. but...

I think this is real evenness on the list but no top end talent.

one ting you can’t measure and it may sound silly but we don’t have any smart footballes maybe melks aside. Everything is hard work and we make lots of basic errors

if we didn’t set up behind the ball today then why did geelong chip it around so much?
Geelong chipped it around because they had an outnumber and they wanted to exploit it. Why play fast and risky and risk getting done on the counter, especially when May is spoiling everything, Maxy is behind the footy and you are getting ravaged at the coalface, when you can just inch your way 20m at a time, and you know the Dees forwards won't actually follow your rebounders.

The outnumber means that the Dees defenders then starting leaving their zone and defending guys that our forwards don't track=> that eventually leads to holes in Geelong's forward 50.

That's smart footy. Played to their strengths. Our s**t stoppage structure meant when the Cats did get a clearance it was usually effective, but in general play their midfield was nullified. Duncan played in the guts: 1 clearance. Parfitt 2. Harmes kept Selwood to 2. That's their primary inside midfield rotation ATM isn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back