Prediction The Bounce Back - Where to from here?

Will we bounce back?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • We should have already

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I’m not buying it. This season isn’t done, and our issues are things that can be fixed. To say that we’re screwed is a bit presumptuous, considering we have 7 consecutive home games coming up. I see these theories people are coming up with as to our form, and the unfortunate thing is that nearly every poster on here is treating it as though it’s a normal season. Unfortunately, the state of affairs can’t be judged on that basis, so to say it’s our gameplan being worked out, players declining, or any other such thing would only have a basis if COVID wasn’t a thing. But it is, and we’re in ******* Queensland on top of that as well.

A large degree of pessimism and fatalism, as has happened before, is creeping in. I haven’t seen this sort of negativity since 2017, and to be on here in that atmosphere makes the West Coast Board hell. However, I go on BF everyday, even if I haven’t been liking posts as much.

Our problems are between the ears, you all saw that. We are producing so far below where we should be that it is frankly insulting. I’m not overrating this list, or not seeing the actual problems, but it is bluntly obvious that the fact we’re in Queensland is a large part of why our form is so bad. And it really is the only thing that makes sense, when you think about it - over half our B22 are fathers, being forced away for an uncertain amount of time from their families, and with our entire pathos as a club, regardless of whether it is properly stated or not, being based around this very thing, to remove that has unscrewed our players brains.

Would we beat Melbourne right now, in Queensland? We did in round 1, and I’m pretty certain we wouldn’t right now. But if round 1 were repeated today, would we be able to? I’d, honestly, say yes.

I believe we will bounce back from this. Losing to goddamn ******* Port like that makes me want to burn something down, but we have 7 consecutive home games coming up. We need to beat Richmond, but if we don’t, we still have the opportunity coming up to bounce back. IMO I reckon we will, and that will be the beginning of a 8 game winning streak.

Will we bounce back?

Last edited:
I’m not buying it. This season isn’t done, and our issues are things that can be fixed. To say that we’re screwed is a bit presumptuous, considering we have 7 consecutive home games coming up. I see these theories people are coming up with as to our form, and the unfortunate thing is that nearly every poster on here is treating it as though it’s a normal season. Unfortunately, the state of affairs can’t be judged on that basis, so to say it’s our gameplan being worked out, players declining, or any other such thing would only have a basis if COVID wasn’t a thing. But it is, and we’re in ******* Queensland on top of that as well.

A large degree of pessimism and fatalism, as has happened before, is creeping in. I haven’t seen this sort of negativity since 2017, and to be on here in that atmosphere makes the West Coast Board hell. However, I go on BF everyday, even if I haven’t been liking posts as much.

Our problems are between the ears, you all saw that. We are producing so far below where we should be that it is frankly insulting. I’m not overrating this list, or not seeing the actual problems, but it is bluntly obvious that the fact we’re in Queensland is a large part of why our form is so bad. And it really is the only thing that makes sense, when you think about it - over half our B22 are fathers, being forced away for an uncertain amount of time from their families, and with our entire pathos as a club, regardless of whether it is properly stated or not, being based around this very thing, to remove that has unscrewed our players brains.

Would we beat Melbourne right now, in Queensland? We did in round 1, and I’m pretty certain we wouldn’t right now. But if round 1 were repeated today, would we be able to? I’d, honestly, say yes.

I believe we will bounce back from this. Losing to goddamn ******* Port like that makes me want to burn something down, but we have 7 consecutive home games coming up. We need to beat Richmond, but if we don’t, we still have the opportunity coming up to bounce back. IMO I reckon we will, and that will be the beginning of a 8 game winning streak.

Will we bounce back?
If we bounce back just because we are home, Port belted us in a netrral venue, we are mentally softer than I am thinking we are. I dont know what is going on, I dont think the club does, but the problem looks to be above the shoulders to a large extent.

Will we bounce back?

I think we are going to bounce back. First things first, we need to stop the rot.

I've watched a lot of footy these last couple of weeks, and the standard across the board is pretty low, hence why we have seen so many upsets over the last few weeks.

This season is a real grind, players getting injured left and right, fitness and skill seems to be at its lowest ebb.

The Perth hub will be a real challenge for visiting teams. By all reports, the WA government has requested all players stay in the hotel and only leave the hotel for games/training.

But we need to get back to Perth with a decent W/L ration. That needs to start this Thursday against Richmond.

We’re definitely going to bounce back, it’s just a matter of whether it’s too late by then.

Leaving the hub at 3-3 isn’t a win in normal circumstance, but if we can pull it together then have seven games at home we’re every chance to make a run.

How quickly we respond is everything - pulling it together for our final three home games having gone 1-10 prior is no good to anyone.

I think we’ll find our footing again, I just think it’ll be too late by the time we do. 3-3 when we head home is a must, anything else isn’t even worth pretending about.

It would be surprising if we didn't return to winning ways during the Perth hub.

However, is getting back into form when things suit us really 'bouncing back' in a true sense?

Confidence is a hell of a drug. It’s piss poor it might take a seven week stretch of home games to right the ship, but if that does right the ship then maybe we can just power on with the season.

We’re definitely going to bounce back, it’s just a matter of whether it’s too late by then.

Leaving the hub at 3-3 isn’t a win in normal circumstance, but if we can pull it together then have seven games at home we’re every chance to make a run.

How quickly we respond is everything - pulling it together for our final three home games having gone 1-10 prior is no good to anyone.

I think we’ll find our footing again, I just think it’ll be too late by the time we do. 3-3 when we head home is a must, anything else isn’t even worth pretending about.

I think 3-3 is ok. Given what we now know.

Even when factoring in the shorter season, I think the number of games needed to get top 4/8 etc will be lower than what we expected it to be, and the ladder will probably be "flatter" from top to bottom.

We are seeing many of the good teams drop games they should win, and many of the teams who are at top the ladder (QLD teams) have burnt up half their home games by the end of next weekend.

Think 2017 rather than 2016.

The expectation is that there is too much talent within this squad for it to not bounce back.

The start of 2019 saw similar failings, yet the club had worked itself into a position of top two reckoning before the Round 22 match against Richmond.

Just a single win currently separates 5th from 16th and two of the top four places are held by Qld clubs who have benefited from the hub.

If over the next two weeks the club cannot defeat Richmond who are travelling on a 5 day break and Adelaide in the nadir of their history, then the only where to left is to start rebuilding.

Return to Perth at 3-3 and then 7 matches at home change the complexion of the season.

Win all of those and the club is guaranteed to be top two with a 10-3 record, and full of confidence for the four remaining matches ahead.

Even going 5-2 in the Perth hub would see the club at 8-5, which is probably still within the top four with the closeness of this season.

There is a lot wrong with this team that cannot be ignored - however it is still filled with quality. Even playing far from its best, this team should be able to get itself into a position of contention once again.

The expectation is that there is too much talent within this squad for it to not bounce back.

Even playing far from its best, this team should be able to get itself into a position of contention once again.
A champion team will always beat a team of champions. The two sentences above terrify me. Are we arrogant enough to believe we can play at a subpar level and be assured of victory over ‘lesser lists?

Perhaps the side assumed getting Kelly would guarantee success? The way we won in 18 with key players missing would actually suggest the opposite.

Our attitude stinks and it isn’t entirely hub related.

I think the way the ladder is looking is a big part of the reason I don’t really care what happens this season. It means nothing. Richmond are in a similar spot to us so it shows it’s not a personal issue with us falling off a cliff and being s**t, while Freo and Adelaide join us down the bottom and Brisbane/Gold Coast make up two of the top 3 (definitely not a coincidence that the two home hub teams are flying and the away teams have crashed). Port are the exception but probably have a bit more motivation as they can see an opportunity to smash and grab a flag.

The ladder in simpler terms: home hub sides, a whole heap of Vic sides separated by nothing, away hub sides. That tells me that it’s having more of an effect than people are giving credit for. Every chance we go 7-0 at home very comfortably. Although the timing on the hubs mean we have the momentum against us already, if we started at home we’d be on a nice roll and would head away with a head full of steam (Brisbane and GC are in this situation). The s**t that gets on my nerves is some people (commentators and media leading the charge) carry on like the results are equivalent to a normal season. This year will be won by a side with a point to prove (Port, Brisbane or Collingwood are my tips). If Richmond were

Schofield and Allen jokingly mentioned on the Coast to Coast pod how glad some of the boys were that the coaches had put away the calipers. I think it's maybe being understated how different some teams look to be in terms of their fitness levels.

Full credit to Port, Brissy and GC as they look to be running on top of the ground.

Our lads look to be able to sustain maybe 5 mins a qtr of full effort before slipping away. Has been pretty consistent in almost every qtr since we restarted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ppl are deluded to think we will go 7-0 when we get home.

And if we do i would be incredibly pissed with the players for not coming into the hub with the right mentality.

3d5ce231e34e7aa4f96f148aaa2ae292.jpg

If we bounce back just because we are home, Port belted us in a netrral venue, we are mentally softer than I am thinking we are. I dont know what is going on, I dont think the club does, but the problem looks to be above the shoulders to a large extent.
Absolutely it is a mental issue. Which is the only real positive (as that can be rectified faster than fitness or injury).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So much talent yet so little football. Its purely a mental thing. Just need some strong leadership to get going.
It honestly hasn’t been there since Mitchell left. At risk of going over the whole “Sam Mitchell is the only reason we won a flag” again but the evidence is fairly black and white. Was Mitchell solely responsible for 2018? Of course not. But he and his role in the flag hasn’t been replicated since and our mids have gone backwards. Our midfield coach needs to be a campaigner that takes no s**t from anyone and gets everyone fired up and angry because that’s where the game is won (and where we’ve been severely lacking recently). Obviously I don’t know Van Berlo and Rosa personally but from the outside they don’t really seem like the types to smack bottles out of hands and go off their face. Simmo is a great coach but needs the guys around him to compliment him, not be the same style of coach.

We can win the next two hub games and from there i think we will switch it on knowing we will be playing potentially up to 7 games in a row at home.

What we need to be doing is also blooding more youth because we are cooked for 2021 and beyond if we do not.

Petch, Brander and O Allen have all been getting a look in but we need to get more games into Cameron ( Injured yes) , Rotham, Waterman, Watson & Ainsworth. We also need to see if O Neil is worth a shot and ditto Brayshaw.

Petch, Brander and O Allen have all been getting a look in but we need to get more games into Cameron ( Injured yes) , Rotham, Waterman, Watson & Ainsworth. We also need to see if O Neil is worth a shot and ditto Brayshaw.
tenor.gif

Our development of Ainers is baffling. It's like we have a deep seated aversion to getting our youngsters to bulk up. He is never going to be a good kick but the kid can get in and find the footy, at least give him a chance to succeed with his skill set by sizing him up to compete at the coal face at AFL level. It might not work out but at least you tried to put a round peg in a round hole.

So in summary this aversion to Ainus getting pegged in a round hole needs to end. What we're doing now isn't getting it done so we need to think outside the box and not be afraid to experiment.

Over the years ive often written about the need for thugs.Not punch em in the face thugs,but big hard blokes who clear the way for smaller blokes.I dont think we would have won in 2018 without Lyc/Vards in the middle.Both are handy players and both instil fear .NN is hard at the ball and tackle but he doesnt take any joy in crunching people.With those two in then Yo was No3 in the physicality stakes.If NN is off then Yo is No1.If Vardy is fit he needs to play,if Cameron is fit he needs to play.Yeh i know;skinny little kid;He is a better tackler than probably 95% of the team.At the moment Ryan is probably our hardest player, bit of a sad indictment on the rest isnt it??

Back