Game Day Round3/4 Vs Cats MCG @15:35 AEST- Playing footy likes it's 1860: The Ancient Argyle Duel

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong chipped it around because they had an outnumber and they wanted to exploit it. Why play fast and risky and risk getting done on the counter, especially when May is spoiling everything, Maxy is behind the footy and you are getting ravaged at the coalface, when you can just inch your way 20m at a time, and you know the Dees forwards won't actually follow your rebounders.

The outnumber means that the Dees defenders then starting leaving their zone and defending guys that our forwards don't track=> that eventually leads to holes in Geelong's forward 50.

That's smart footy. Played to their strengths. Our sh*t stoppage structure meant when the Cats did get a clearance it was usually effective, but in general play their midfield was nullified. Duncan played in the guts: 1 clearance. Parfitt 2. Harmes kept Selwood to 2. That's their primary inside midfield rotation ATM isn't it?

Ok, yes agree on the cats having an outnumber but that most likely means we have all our players infront of the kicker. Or are you saying our forwards don’t defend?

I thought in the second quarter and the last 10 mins we started winning some
More pure clearences. Agree the mids and Gawn were poor at the stoppages for big parts on the game

Ok, yes agree on the cats having an outnumber but that most likely means we have all our players infront of the kicker. Or are you saying our forwards don’t defend?

I thought in the second quarter and the last 10 mins we started winning some
More pure clearences. Agree the mids and Gawn were poor at the stoppages for big parts on the game
Our forwards don't defend, because they aren't instructed to. The fact that leaders like TMac, Milkshakes don't, and the fact that Langdon whose clear only above average skill is his running, don't; to me that means its a gameplan by Goody.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...feb-4-40pm-aedt.1236056/page-22#post-64448272 talked about the press here.

If you go to page 23 eskimo talks about how in that game we had a defender on the goalline/closest to the oppo goal. So if that's the case too(which I'd assume it is), then ofc the Cats should exploit the outnumber slowly by inching up the field rather than blazing long. Geelong didn't get that many deep entries; May and Lever got anything that came within 30m of the Cats goal.

In that thread I talked about how I wanted us to switch between press and man on man, a la Miami Heat's 2-3 zone in the NBA; I think that's just too much to ask. The AFL ground is too ******* wide. Can't be arsed doing the maths of how big the area of the 50m arc is, but 6 guys defending that large a zone doesn't sound great to me.

Does this play not show the exact weaknesses our forward press has?

Last edited:
Our forwards don't defend, because they aren't instructed to. The fact that leaders like TMac, Milkshakes don't, and the fact that Langdon whose clear only above average skill is his running, don't; to me that means its a gameplan by Goody.

well the forwards arent sitting inside the forward 50 Whilst geelong chip it around.

they are defending, how good or bad is a different debate. But when a geelong player had the ball today 80m from goal, melbourne would have 18 of its players inside the cats 65m.

kicking 20m sideways won’t hurt you, but doing it 8 times in a row Geelong will then try to tire the defending side And then try to pick a hole in the defense. Then find a easy forward 50 option.

I’d say the times Geelong scored today was when they moved the ball quicker like the lead up to Hawkins poster in the last a cats player pulled the kick into the corridors. Or when we turned it over in the backline half, Gus’ handball misses Oliver cats kick mark handball and lace out Hawkins

I don’t think you will see to many goals if any where the cats chipped the ball round and round. Most of the time it lead to a long bomb down the line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back