Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast (R4 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm, very early days but not much to get excited about. We need to give him a run at it for another two weeks and see if he improves.
12 disposals and 5 tackles had him on par with Brayshaw and better than Cerra. He made a couple of errors but for a bloke getting his first taste of AFL footy in a midfield that got absolutely obliterated I thought he held himself well.

Was also keen to get involved in the half time scrap and looks like he’s got a bit of mongrel about him. This team really needs a bit more of that.

View attachment 901854

Pretty much our forward line delivery yesterday

Noted that shot during the game, but you need to pan out and show the full tape. The ball goes further into our forward line and is Freo mark, and I think a goal.

I understand his frustration in this instant, as he was well clear of opponents, BUT there was a better option.

On Fyfe, I think he’s not sure how he should go about it. He was given free reign in previous years & wins 2 Brownlows, this year he comes out & says he’s going to play smarter?

So far his clearance numbers are well down & his defensive qualities have been questioned. Yesterday I think he went in with the thought of being more accountable around the stoppages, but he got taken to the wrong areas or pushed under ball.

I would rather have him in, but this break gives him the opportunity to sit down with Jlo & the midfield coaches & get clarity on exactly what his role is.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Caught in the middle and trying to work out what is best for him.

Hopefully a short break, look from the coaches box, refresh body = refreshed mind.

Hughes wasn’t bad though.

Wilson and Conca were deplorable though...both liabilities defensively
The persistence of Conca in defence is frustrating. So slow with ball movement, and has limited skill off half back. We need his experience and bodywork inside midfield.

Yeti, re beautiful flat

Re flat field kicks, to give Bewley his due (and he frustrates the hell out of me 'cos he seems to promise way more than he delivers) he's very good in that department. Currently our best I reckon. If only he could tackle/back up his teammates in a stoush/show hunger to be off and active with the ball. Way too reactive for mine and yet there's that beautiful kick....sigh

Bewley would be in NBA terms what is referred to as a ball stopper. His kivking is very good but when he is the reciever, he takes way too long to make a decision.

I hope it’s in the context of asking Hughes wtf he was doing.
hogan had Collins beaten...why wasn’t it on his chest?

You don’t carry on like that though. As you can see in the image Collins is now getting to the contest while Hogan is sooking at his team mate so we’re one down. Understand that it was a mistake by Hughes and it’s frustrating for a forward to not be honoured the lead but he’s put himself in front of his team there.

There was one equally as bad earlier where Schultz was ignored but he just got on and kept playing as frustrated as he would be.

I couldn’t stand Richo and Reiwoldt do it week in and week out to their teams detriment. Coincidentally Reiwoldt hasn’t done it since they became successful and have a good team culture - chicken or the egg?

Last edited:
Same with Hogan, he takes an eternity, and is a beautiful kick.
Taberner same, just not a great kick.

I might have been watching a different game because Bewley was good in my opinion. Plenty of beautiful kicks and a couple of goals. Schultz improved on his last performance and added some pressure. Colyer still spudded it up bit did some good things. Guess these players will never please people on here. Hill was good on return, Serong was good on debut, Young was exceptional. Hogan and Taberner good too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negatives: this team doesn’t know how to win anymore, and a trend has been established.

Noted that shot during the game, but you need to pan out and show the full tape. The ball goes further into our forward line and is Freo mark, and I think a goal.

I understand his frustration in this instant, as he was well clear of opponents, BUT there was a better option.

I think it went to Matera who got a lucky head high free, and slotted the goal.

Wasn't a better option at all. Just another Freo special high hit and hope bomb

I like that you're glass half-full. I was bitterly disappointed to be 0-4 last night, but not in a 'this club is a total rabble' mentality which has pervaded my mindset the last 4 seasons. The disappointment stems from the idea we could be sitting in the top 8.

There are some slightly perceptible differences in our playing style thus far although they're difficult to establish.

Some people have been suggesting it's better to get pumped and then pull off surprise wins ala Lyon-era the last 4 years. What arrant nonsense, the long-term aim is to form a game plan and collective skill set that turns us into an elite football team. We've got enough potential in and around the team that with continued exposure, could shape into that very thing. If that means losing every game by a few kicks while the team gains cohesion and experience then I'm pleased with that. This is an asterisk year - I'm desperate for finals footy but we may need to be more patient.

The reality is though we've got to move on from some older types that don't have the ability to perform at the level required for an elite team - that would at least be Colyer, Bewley and Matera are all 25+ and have very limited scope. Matera could be given the benefit of the doubt as he played very well across most of last year, plus being a forward in Freo = ducky. He'd be a handy player in a top-tier team though.

I hope we can eke our 4-6 wins in a covid year, and use our draft picks to bring in some reliable, elite mature talent.
Worth a like just for use of “arrant nonsense”

And the rest of it is is bilge or savant bilge?

FYI, it's a wonderful use of of terminology in meeting where you're very unhappy. Very very unhappy. The way arrant rolls off the tongue..
No, no the rest of it was good too. Bilge ... well I reckon that might describe some half-forward-flanker play I have seen in recent weeks

I can imagine that there would one or two people at one of those meetings who would be thinking “we have just received a serve, I’m sure of it, but I don’t quite know what he really said”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back