Autopsy post mortem v hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

We need decent users coming off the back flank.
Dogs game next week will define our year

This & this... Unfortunately, there may also be a direct correlation with the likes of Daniel, Crozier, Suckling, Williams, et al...

I think we may have to go hard at Zac Williams.

That was a brutal 3rd qtr. I thought we hung in there well.

Cunners is our only AAA+++. Take him out and i am not confident in most games.

We were outclassed, but stuck it out tonight.

Goldy even more important than Cunners.

Will not be AA even if he continues his current form.

Media monkeys are campaigning hard for Weitering. It’s a common theme, Robbie gets overlooked in favour of the media’s new darling.

Yep, 0 x goal assists for Tazz.

Shorter quarters are definitely blunting Brown's effectiveness, he can't run his opponents ragged like previous seasons. The service his mids provided was pretty poor this evening as well. I can't see Brown kicking too many bags this season, I think he will need to change how he plays if he wishes to remain effective or we are going to struggle to kick winning scores.

Now that I think about it... you can play benny hill music whilst watching the excruciatingly painful entries inside 50 tonight.

Yes you can crash packs whilst outnumbered brown has no mongrel to do so or strength
Yes, but we know that don't we? What's the point in going on about it, Z. There were a number of plusses:-

1. Cunnington and Larkey will improve our structure immensely.
  2. We'll get to see how we go without Ziebell from the start now.
  3. Kyron could be anything.
  4. Jy backing up well.
  5. Walker excellent apart from one mistake after he received a hospital pass.
  6. We don't give up. This could be the most important plus point of all!
  7. The Hawks played well.
  8. Taylor is going to be great.
  9. Anderson is blood and guts at all times.
  10. Mahony is very promising.

I, probably, wouldn't be writing any of this if we hadn't staged the comeback. But, fact is, we did come back and we had a shot to snatch it. We went very close.

Generally speaking, Brown doesn't play good or bad. He leads hard, runs 15 km and keeps presenting. If the midfield is playing well, he'll take marks and kick goals. If tey don't move the ball well, he doesn't play 1 on 1 and gets outbodied.

He's an elite lead, mark on the lead and kick. Stick him on a team that moves the ball well, he kicks an extra 25-30 goals a year than he does with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaw: We did it again, we just got going in the last quarter. The Hawks brought the pressure, were strong around the footy in the first half. We didn't just adjust quick enough.

Shaw: It was about our urgency and ability to get in the contest. It clicked in the last quarter. We didn't show our true game and brand in the third quarter. It's so hard to sit here and see what we did in the last quarter.

Shaw: If we produce the type of footy we played late, we can beat anyone ... but if you leave it to chance, you put it in the balance. To Hawthorn's credit, they took their chances.

Shaw: We've got to go to work as a team and as coaches to allow ourselves to play that way earlier. We know we're good enough. We've got to find a way to do it for longer.

Shaw: Jack Ziebell rolled his ankle pretty badly in first quarter. He soldiered on and put himself in the middle of the ground. He's a bit worse for wear right now. He was proppy because he hurt himself and didn't want to just sit.

Shaw: I thought our standard of footy wasn't up to scratch.

Shaw: The kids stood up late and we had some really good performances down back. Walker played best game for us, Lukey McDonald played well.

Shaw: Cunnington woke up with injury a couple of weeks ago, and essentially hasn't gotten better.

Positives in what was a pretty dark night...

- Goldy elite
- Jy was big in the last Q again, he’s really worked on his consistency. You just know he’s gonna give a good game every week (almost kicked the winner).
- Taylor and Thomas as HF’s. They’re the future and did some amazing things tonight.
- Hayden 15 disposals, he’s building.
- Mahoney & X both did good things on debut.

The score flattered us, but it was nice to see that we fought to the end.

Need Cunnington back as soon as possible.

Balls to that.

In a season where 8 goals will win you most games, we've fallen 5 goals down 3 times out of 4. Each time we've finished strongly but twice we lost. How about fighting at the friggin' start for once???

you do realise he was triple teamed all night. You got no idea
Dead right! Brown was being physically pushed by two blokes charging into him as the ball was still a kick and a half away. He was hardly ever able to get into a contest where he stood a chance to compete. There were a few long shots that showed it clearly - it wasn't players competing in the air against him that beat him - it was the two player push in the back that prevented him being in the aerial contest. No wonder he wasn't even going up most of the time.

This is the most exciting Kangaroos side I can recall. They may not be as good as the 90's side with Carey and co but as a neutral I have been drawn to watching them last few years. Even though you lost today I would be very upbeat as there is no doubt you can go up a lot of notches and with Cunnington, Nths best can match anyones best. It is going to be a frightening forward line when the likes of Taylor, Zurhaar, Thomas all click.

I liked how the Hawks have impunity to play on from a clear free kick to us with the footy and not get pinged for a fifty.

Must be tough to hear the umpire above the raucous crowd.

We are the junk time kings. When the pressure is off and there is nothing left to play for....we storm home and make it look respectable. Good effort North, we only lost by 4 points But in all honesty, we were never going to win it.
Except for the fact that Jy had a left foot snap that nearly won it?...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back