Autopsy post mortem v hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Brown. Horror show. Timing way off, provided zero contest, didn’t bring the ball to ground, went up one handed all the time, timing horendous...embarassing out numbered but absolutely no contest.
But needs help. Team needs to open up his pathway when he is double teamed like tonight. He will come good. Can't do it on their own.

Fumble, ugly dog s**t performance that was hard to watch.

Don’t read too much into last week and tonight’s last quarter resurgence. Opposition has the result pretty much locked away and they take the foot off the gas.

We’re not renowned for being a polish, efficient team with the ball as it is. But you have to wonder whether the way we play being hard at the contest and ball is having an affect in moving the ball and hitting targets.

The Brown criticisms are only valid when he actually has the opportunity to get to it before a Hawk does.

We were kicking inside 50 like it was spin the wheel sort of stuff where the chances of a target being hit were 100:1.
That’s a cop out! Wasn’t just inside the forward 50. The bloke gets pushed out too easy.

I’ve banged on about this for a while... our mid sized defenders aren’t good enough users. You can get away with 1 or 2 in a side but Pittard, Atley, MacMillan, Williams, McDonald can all seriously butcher the footy. A decision needs to be made about each of these 5 players. We aren’t a top 4 side until there are only max 2 in our best 22 and 3 on our list.

Luke McDonald was one of the few players who was on from start to finish.

He wasn’t as bad as what people say he was last week either. He is having a good season.

sorry but they call it football for a reason. if you're as diabolically s**t at hitting targets by foot as luke mcdonald is, you are not a footballer

That’s a cop out! Wasn’t just inside the forward 50. The bloke gets pushed out too easy.
Its natural for the guy to get pushed out so often, but if our boys moved it quickly enough the umps can see it. They can't see anything in highly congested marking contests where there are 5 Hawks on him blocking every angle.

Dead right! Brown was being physically pushed by two blokes charging into him as the ball was still a kick and a half away. He was hardly ever able to get into a contest where he stood a chance to compete. There were a few long shots that showed it clearly - it wasn't players competing in the air against him that beat him - it was the two player push in the back that prevented him being in the aerial contest. No wonder he wasn't even going up most of the time.

With Larkey, at least Larkey benefits if they double/triple team him
I think X needs a decent run to gradually take over from Goldy
Might pay to use Goldy more as support in the fwd line until Souva comes back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2nd week in a row that rhyce has gotten too cute.

tried to maintain possession and lots of sideways movement. It was noticeable in the first where we hit a 45 and went corridor, but hawthorn coined onto that and we just were left chipping the ball around in the back half.

fu** the bullshit off and play hard north footy.

ziebs you can fu** off for the rest of the year, id rather you have op then LDU. Atley you can join him[/B]

Classy Tales.

Last edited:
Agree. We need to learn to cheat.

There’s brash physicality and then there’s seasoned, professional campaignerness.

We have the first, and I think that’s an important step towards learning the second.

I see enough in our youth to be excited for the next few years, more so than any other time this millennium, but I feel we've really let a great opportunity slip this year.

Plenty of time left in the season, but geez how about coming out of the gates hard for a change??

Our captain had 7 touches, 5 of which were clangers.

That’s 71% of his touches. 71%.

He's struggling badly and needs a spell.

Jack is absolutely cooked. He’s barely a local footballer at the minute.

Turned it over pretty much every time he went near it.

Most embarrassing game from a North captain as I can remember.

Hard calls needs to be made at some point.
Unfortunately, Jack is playing a bit like Andrew Swallow when he was on his way out. Hopefully, he can come back strong after a break. However, he's just not having any positive impact right now.

Played like champions as soon as Ziebell went off. Horribly disappointing loss. Too many passengers tonight. I am shattered to be honest. Predicted an honourable loss at 3/4 time - was a goal out. Could see it coming.

LMac awful again.
Zurhaar played 5 minutes of footy.
Jack just terrible but I suspect carrying an injury. Well, he is now.
The two Ps scrappy all night.
Walker excellent game.
Mahoney showed a little.
Xerri fumbled all night but first game credit.

Just so disappointing when this was so winnable against a team of campaigners.
we must have been watching different games - Luke MacDonald was on the positive side of solid

He actually played a decent game but I agree with you. He gives his all but his disposal is horrible

Yeah not as bad as others though. The captain's is probably the worst. I think bit by bit we are getting better in this regard. It takes time to build a list of players with quality disposal and I think we are starting to see it in the last couple of drafts. Mahoney looks great, that kick from the boundary (to hit Jed on the chest) was something you'd expect from polec. Thomas is clean, LDU is, Jye , Curtis Taylor is. I hope Will Walker is in for JZ next week as well. These guys find and hit targets, and compliment cunners, Higgo, and Polec well, So I think there's plenty of potential there for 2021-22 when they get some footy under their belt, (plus hopefully a top 5 pick in this year's draft ....go dees), and we still have Higgo, Goldy, and, Polec going around.

BBB would be a great no. 2 forward. If Xerri can clunk a few close to goals, he might compliment BBB well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back