Autopsy post mortem v hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

i commented when watching the game that despite the large number of possesions, that he hadn't had a big impact on the game. Having said that, I am so glad he plays for us.

Honestly, love him since he came, but I’m starting to get concerned he’s not helping much this year
I really want to be wrong

I also was glad to see us fight to the end. Under Brad, there was no way we would have come back, we would have been beaten by even more.
That is definitely a positive from the last 2 weeks, our ability to fight it out. Both the Swans and Hawks were 5 goals ahead and we could have stuck the white flag up and gone on to lose by 8 goals and get blown away. But we haven't allowed the opposition to do that.

Now if we can only stop other teams getting that far ahead to begin with...

Our poor starts are really hurting us.

fk me, I was screaming at the tv about this. This is another part of the reason why the game is fkd and a clog. Give the ball back immediately. Hawks too clever for the umps.
I'm glad it's not just me who thinks this. They push the boundaries with the umpires and rarely get picked up on it. Tonight it seemed to be deliberately running 2 paces over the mark and forcing the umpire to call them back. And our player with the ball to have to step back further. It's not a coincidence that so many of our quick play ons got smothered. They never got pinged 50 but they slowed the play down long enough to cover the players down the field.

sorry but they call it football for a reason. if you're as diabolically sh*t at hitting targets by foot as luke mcdonald is, you are not a footballer
If you look back at my posts in the past I've had harsh words about McDonald, but he was not s**t tonight - if more players had shown the same resolve as Luke did for the whole four quarters we would have been a considerably stronger team.

Same for Jed Anderson. I recall saying some bad words about him in the past but Jed has more than squared the ledger - he's well and truly earned a place as a North player.

Both of those two were amongst the best for North tonight.

So after reading the replies, here is my take:
1) our back 6 have been superb. That includes LMac. He’s become a stopper and I like that.
2) We had an opportunity tonight to win a game we didn’t deserve. We are blooding youth and we won’t be able to match sides all games, particularly premiership winning sides
3) on that note, I’m loving that we have kids stepping up in big moments. Once again in the last quarter they did so. Even Taylor ripping the ball out of BB’s hands
4) Ziebell is done. Put a fork in him. Put minutes into the kids.
5) Anderson had two shocking moments in the second but was superb second half. Needs to remove the bad because he gives us plenty good. PS get him to 100 games

Last edited:
We have to be just about the worst side in the comp to be a forward in these past 2 weeks. The ball movement is ordinary and it's not letting our forwards get into the game enough.

That doesn't stop many around here feasting on the forwards when they get a chance.

If you look back at my posts in the past I've had harsh words about McDonald, but he was not sh*t tonight - if more players had shown the same resolve as Luke did for the whole four quarters we would have been a considerably stronger team.

Same for Jed Anderson. I recall saying some bad words about him in the past but Jed has more than squared the ledger - he's well and truly earned a place as a North player.

Both of those two were amongst the best for North tonight.
Yep. But we don't have enough skill players to minimise their deficiencies. McDonalds skills wouldn't be an issue if Atley, Williams and Pittard were more reliable by foot.

That is definitely a positive from the last 2 weeks, our ability to fight it out. Both the Swans and Hawks were 5 goals ahead and we could have stuck the white flag up and gone on to lose by 8 goals and get blown away. But we haven't allowed the opposition to do that.

We have won 7 outta 16 ( edit ) quarters for the year. We should be 1 - 3.

If Brown was given the mark that was awarded to Taylor, things may have ended up differently...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m actually stoked Taylor backed himself in.
Imagine how much we’d be talking him up if he’d slotted it.

Two great marks again tonight. Love the kid.

He’s not afraid of the moment.
Neither is Simpkin.
Neither is Zurhaar.
Neither is Thomas.

It’s a stretch, but I’m taking that as a positive out of tonight’s game. Glass half full & s***

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks this. They push the boundaries with the umpires and rarely get picked up on it. Tonight it seemed to be deliberately running 2 paces over the mark and forcing the umpire to call them back. And our player with the ball to have to step back further. It's not a coincidence that so many of our quick play ons got smothered. They never got pinged 50 but they slowed the play down long enough to cover the players down the field.
Thie tactic was so obvious, I think even the commentators mentioned it. But most of the time, the umps didn't even call them back to the mark - they just allowed the hawthorn bloke to stand two meters over the spot - which as you say, caused the North bloke with the ball to stop and step backwards time and time again.

Dogs game next week will define our year

And I don’t care how tough Jed is his disposal is not even vfl standard and should be dropped for cunners
We need him because he's a tackling machine. Several times he held up plays where the oppo could have been surging forward with another scoring opportunity. He helps us retain ground and not give them territory.

He's not in the team because he has exquisite skills.

Brown should have claimed that mark over Curtis, just has zero confidence in himself.
I came to say that Curtis not giving it up was my highlight moment of the game. We’ve got some kids with skills and guts.

We are getting behind in the game because we only kick into gear when forced to take the game on. Just need that mentality from the first bounce.

It’s not always the number. The Wingard and Mitchell Lewis free kicks in front of goal are as bad as it gets and they cost 2 goals. It’s not netball.
Watch the vision of the screamer that Curtis took. Xerri takes his man out of that contest. Could have easily given away a free.

The questionable free kicks are not always one way.

3 x turnovers out of 21 disposals @ 76% in 93% TOG and he pantsed a certified gun.

I think Luke's having his best season. His effort has clearly gone up a notch and genuinely looks to get angry if he loses a 1-1 contest which he has lost few of this year. I think its all too easy to judge medium defenders harshly. Sometimes they're just under pressure and have to kick long and clear it regardless if there's a target or not. Not easy to disguise the kick to find the boundary these days. Is that necessarily the fault of the defender or a lack of players running to position? I've been privately critical of Lmac, but can't really fault him this season and hope he goes on to fulfill his potential he showed as a junior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back