Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw that and thought the same. Must be frustrating watching the game go past you

I wouldn't go that far, but he needs to bring more to the table.

Over the course of his career his biggest issues have consistently been leg speed and endurance. The last couple of years he's also added kicking skills to the list of issues he has. The game isn't getting any slower nor Jack any younger. You don't magically keep your fitness base when you have soft tissue injuries to your legs either.

By the time he's healed from this injury, the third leg injury in a year, he's still going to be behind the eightball fitness wise, and he wouldn't have had any time or ability to work on his kicking. I think he's cooked tbh, for this year at the very least. Hard to see a future where he gets back to anywhere near his best.

Just don't know where we go from here. Absolute campaigner of a situation to have our captain be in, exacerbated by the fact I'm not entirely sure I trust him to make accurate calls considering his decisions regarding his fitness to play etc so far this year.

Over the course of his career his biggest issues have consistently been leg speed and endurance. The last couple of years he's also added kicking skills to the list of issues he has. The game isn't getting any slower nor Jack any younger. You don't magically keep your fitness base when you have soft tissue injuries to your legs either.

By the time he's healed from this injury, the third leg injury in a year, he's still going to be behind the eightball fitness wise, and he wouldn't have had any time or ability to work on his kicking. I think he's cooked tbh, for this year at the very least. Hard to see a future where he gets back to anywhere near his best.

Just don't know where we go from here. Absolute campaigner of a situation to have our captain be in, exacerbated by the fact I'm not entirely sure I trust him to make accurate calls considering his decisions regarding his fitness to play etc so far this year.

He’s actively put himself at stoppages after tweaking an ankle. It’s not on your shoulders to make moves like that Ziebs.

forward pocket and that’s it for me now, if he can’t present or kick true he sits in the twos and Tarrant can be skipper before handing it to Simpkin in 2 years time

Not personally suggesting he should be dropped, but a lot of the chat around here the past few days has me racking my brains to think of a time when a captain has been dropped due to poor form - North Melbourne or another club.

Can anybody recall such times?

One of the saddest things I noticed on Sunday night was a passage of play where it looked like the Hawks deliberately left Jack open to receive the ball and then waited for him to kick it back to them. It worked a treat for them.

They are just back from a near 3 month break all the time in the world to get himself right.... got the knee back working not sure if any head work...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even if he was 100% fit going into Sunday's game, he injured both his ankle and his hamstring during the game. The 3 month break is not relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not personally suggesting he should be dropped, but a lot of the chat around here the past few days has me racking my brains to think of a time when a captain has been dropped due to poor form - North Melbourne or another club.

Can anybody recall such times?

Jack needs the midfield functioning well to cash in as a forward.

JZ has been playing injured since the return and thats magnifying his agility flaws now.

I feel the rushed (throw it on the boot) kicks are stats padding because no one will just focus on his injury problems if he ends up with 20 touches, most will feel he’s done his job. The problem he has now is that he’s second to the ball and can’t get a touch, so we really notice how much he’s struggling.

Saying that, the guy is an absolute warrior of the NMFC, he’s won us more games than he’s lost and he has a truckload of credits in the bank.

As much as this will hurt him, the time is right to hand over the reigns and focus solely on himself not everyone else too. He needs to take extended time to heal his body, get some kms in the legs and focus on sharpening his skills again.

No matter what the future holds nothing will change my love for this bloke and the way he’s sacrificed his body for the sake of my club for many years and hopefully in the future.

Needs to re-invent himself and completely change the way he plays, in addition to dominant playing 1 position and 1 position only, not the entire bloody ground if he has any hope to continue his career into his 30's.

That journey doesn't start as long the responsibilities and duties as captain hang over him, for that alone he'll continue to get selected regardless of form and that's not in the best interests of the club.

When do we think Ziebell hit the peak of his true potential?

My thoughts:
-2012 when he had 30+ and kicked 3 against Geelong (Rd 3) I thought we had a genuine A grader.
-2014 in the semi final against Geelong where he kicked those big last term goals.
-2018 he turned himself into a quality mid size forward.
-2019 the decline started
-2020 has been injured ravaged

I wonder how much those two broken legs screwed his development. I really hope he manages to reinvent himself and we don't remember him for a courageous hack out of the middle captain. I would just leave in the forward line for the rest of the season to help with our structure.

When do we think Ziebell hit the peak of his true potential?

My thoughts:
-2012 when he had 30+ and kicked 3 against Geelong (Rd 3) I thought we had a genuine A grader.
-2014 in the semi final against Geelong where he kicked those big last term goals.
-2018 he turned himself into a quality mid size forward.
-2019 the decline started
-2020 has been injured ravaged

I wonder how much those two broken legs screwed his development. I really hope he manages to reinvent himself and we don't remember him for a courageous hack out of the middle captain. I would just leave in the forward line for the rest of the season to help with our structure.

He's never hit his peak. The broken legs ****ed his athletic profile early on, but he's barely had an offseason without major surgery and now any gains are being negated by repeat lower leg injuries.

And if he's in he should absolutely be playing forward line primarily. Nothing wrong with him being in the midfield rotations, you need to spread them around and it will be good to keep him involved, but i'd prefer his strength in the air and defensive pressure forward, than his ballgetting (wasted by hack kicks to a disfunctional forward line) in the middle.

He's never hit his peak. The broken legs f’ed his athletic profile early on, but he's barely had an offseason without major surgery and now any gains are being negated by repeat lower leg injuries.

And if he's in he should absolutely be playing forward line primarily. Nothing wrong with him being in the midfield rotations, you need to spread them around and it will be good to keep him involved, but i'd prefer his strength in the air and defensive pressure forward, than his ballgetting (wasted by hack kicks to a disfunctional forward line) in the middle.
I'm on this too - when Larkey went out, Jack was the only one taking contested marks leading up on the wing, a critical phase of the game for Shaw's defensive game plan that relies on only going forward quickly when forward of centre; if Jack starts in the middle tomorrow night with Bonar at HFF, we're back to ground zero, because Wood isn't a great contested mark and therefore not a viable second tall

I'm on this too - when Larkey went out, Jack was the only one taking contested marks leading up on the wing, a critical phase of the game for Shaw's defensive game plan that relies on only going forward quickly when forward of centre; if Jack starts in the middle tomorrow night with Bonar at HFF, we're back to ground zero, because Wood isn't a great contested mark and therefore not a viable second tall

I genuinely think the gameplan isn't to go slow and considerately from the back half then speed the ball down to the goals, it's just that so many of our defenders are either s**t kickers or s**t decision makers or both. It also doesn't help that all too often the movement from the midfielders and the forwards up the ground is stagnant ;-;

Anyway, I agree, Jack (primarily) and Brown should be alternating leading up the wing, while bonar is in the guts. Will be mildly shattered if that's not the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back