US newbie

Remove this Banner Ad

The first time I saw the AFL was when the Hawthorn Hawks were tearing it up in like 1989/early 1990's. Very hard-hitting (and some would say thuggery) and tough were the players back then. All of them. I saw the hard hits, the guys just get right back up or absorb them and continue on and take the mark or score a goal. Very impressive. And maybe since the Hawks were successful, they chose to televise those games in the USA for us to get a glimpse of. I lost a lot of sleep watching those games in the middle of the night. haha

I've always loved defensive-minded/hard-hitting players - no matter the sport. They have the grit and determination to be successful in anything they do. Naturally, most of my favorite players are defenders, and not the prolific scorers. Their ability to run at full speed and basically punt a ball in one fluid motion is amazing.

I'm still learning, but at least now I have my husband to explain everything to me - even when I think it doesn't make sense. LOL

You should consider joining the SFA here on Big Footy as well. The computer simulated games are a lot of fun and it's a good way to learn a bit through stats and the breakdown. Good fun. 👍 Could you imagine if there were three USA people on one team? :D

I hear you on defensive-minded/hard-hitting players! Some of that era you are referring to that I've seen from youtube is crazy, such a brutally tough game. Not that it has changed much! I love hangers and spekkies and exciting marks but the action on the defence side is pretty amazing too, especially in a close game.

I still get lost in AFL rules and it's been quite a few years now. LOL
The few things that really are so very different to me...
* A whistle blows and everyone keeps running around - play continues. In US sports, we are trained from birth that a whistle blowing means that you are to stop dead in your tracks or you will suffer the consequences (add'l penalties and such).
* Grabbing someone's jersey and flinging them to the ground is an acceptable tackle. :oops: Not so acceptable in US sports.
* The umpires point in the opposite direction when someone gets a free kick. ?? I'm ok with that now, but it was very confusing at first.
* And the goal umpires just make me smile. When they wore the white lab coats and fedoras...I couldn't figure out what they were doing. They pull out their imaginary six-guns and shoot. What? 🤭

When you grow up with something, you see it as normal, usual, every day things. To another's eyes, it's a curiosity.
I found a gem in Aussie. Absolutely love it. 💚:cool:

Oh man, the first time I watched a game I was like why is there SO MUCH whistling! But everyone is still moving?! The tackling was kind of startling too because some of them included violent-looking head and body slams, and players seemed to be bleeding and would have wrapped bandages on their heads (almost like war-wounds), and no one battled and eye like it was expected or a common occurrence. Can't say I noticed the umps pointing in opposite directions for a free kick, so will be on the lookout for that in the next couple of games!

My my, what an unpatriotic lot you are, not one of you going for the red, white and blue. ;) Lucky we still have Chicago1 to fly the flag.

it’s a very entertaining sport to watch, but very tribal. Enjoy 😊

My my, what an unpatriotic lot you are, not one of you going for the red, white and blue. ;) Lucky we still have Chicago1 to fly the flag.

Bloody Yanks! :bulldogs:

Hey there, gotta love Glenn Archer and that Shinboner Spirit! I'm an Essendon supporter though (sorry!), and didn't realize Vince and Woody watched AFL!

Was going to say g'day until I read this.

Essendon supporter eh?

Well you can * right off.

Only joking...

But seriously, * off.

I have a friend who is a Bulldogs supporter and he's American, haha! Honestly I got nothin but love for the Mighty West ❤️

I have a friend who is a Bulldogs supporter and he's American, haha! Honestly I got nothin but love for the Mighty West ❤
Nice try. However, you must answer this: Mets fan? Yes? No? It's really important.

Not officially, lol 😆
Good attitude. I really dont hate many teams either. For a while, I went against Hawthorn and Geelong, because they seemingly won all the time. Now the competition has evened out a bit. I am having a hard time figuring out how good Gold Coast is, because they have played some of the worst teams so far this year, but won by a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good attitude. I really dont hate many teams either. For a while, I went against Hawthorn and Geelong, because they seemingly won all the time. Now the competition has evened out a bit. I am having a hard time figuring out how good Gold Coast is, because they have played some of the worst teams so far this year, but won by a lot.

I genuinely appreciate that each club has a unique personality along with their fans.

Rowell is a weapon! Love watching them right now; a lot of talent and young guns on the team. Took them some time (with assistance), but if they don't keep being a training ground for other clubs to poach they could really be something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back