Would Gary Ablett Jr still get a game at your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if he'd get a game AT my club or not, but he'd certainly do well hiring himself out as a gunslinger to play AGAINST my club. Cuts us up almost every time, even as an old man.

1593433749285.png
1593433776039.png

Every team in the league would accept this from a half forward/rotation mid type. That's a standard praise-worthy year for someone like Shane Edwards (whose averages are slightly less across the board this year), let along a 36-year-old approaching his 350th game.

No, he's not among the absolute best players in the league, and is obviously past his peak, but which other players are still performing at their best (and given the gametime on the ball to do so) at his age, with the amount of miles he has on the clock?

IMO, you could argue that he's actually aged far better than expected as a player, especially given the wear-and-tear his body would have endured over the years.

Why are so many people throwing the toys out of the cot like this guy said Ablett is a hack and his career has been no good?

All he's asked is if Ablett still has it - it's a legitimate question/perspective. I think the answer is pretty clear (and it's not the one the OP had in mind). Certainly not worth the outrage some of the responses have shown though.

On topic - would get a game at every team in the comp with the only possible exceptions being clubs that are only interested in developing youngsters. And even then he probably still gets a game just from the sheer amount they could learn from playing alongside him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett would absolutely get a game at every other club.

When we're fully fit he has a spot where ever he likes. Absolute champion of the game, maybe not playing as well as he has in the past but his leadership and ability to play at the level he still can is absolutely priceless.

He's definitely good enough to be in Saints best 18 but if he were at the club I wouldn't be too keen on him being played - the team is at the wrong stage of development and he would just be keeping a young player out. He makes sense at Geelong.

I have no issue with the topic, but i am sure if Gary Jr was sitting there as a random free agent to pick up, there'd be 18 different clubs knocking on his door to get him to play. He's been a joy to watch as a Cats fan, and at the Suns he was peerless and without doubt the best player from about 2011-12014 until his first shoulder injury. His field kicking is wonderful, and even this week against the Dees he was in and under and plucking the ball out of packs and feeding players on the outside.

We all know he's not the best player in the comp, but regularly his skills come to the fore and are a delight to see. Since 1984 there's only been the period between 1997-2001 without a G.Ablett playing senior footy, and i was at that Rd 1 1997 game seeing Gary Sr's last match, 7 in the ressies, alas doing his knee late in that game.

So i'll watch this season and see most likely the last hurrah of the little master and will just enjoy what he brings, come what may. A footballing royal dynasty will come to an end, one i've been privileged to see in essentially all my adult life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back