The AFL should be brought down and replaced by a new governing body

Is it time for a new league that represents all football fans not just one state.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Then it's either a rogue breakaway league with a corp or individual to pony up the start up cash or the non vic fans and members collectively turn their back on the current league.

Blew my viability theory out of the water there Wookie.
Or if the interstate clubs just refuse to play.

i reckon west coast would have walked out of the season if the hubs didnt have an end date on them.

i reckon west coast would have walked out of the season if the hubs didnt have an end date on them.

There's that, but then you'd just end with a VFL and virtually zero vic fans would have concern. Same if all the non vic fans just snubbed the AFL.

Interstate sides account for just under 50% of the viewing numbers

which seeing that we are 44% of the afls teams.....

But not all viewing numbers are the same--- Foxtel pays a higher $ figure per viewer and it's been repeatedly discussed (but it can't be confirmed) that the majority of the Foxtel money is associated with the Victorian viewership (as currently WA & SA clubs don't need Foxtel as much as they can see their team on FTA every week in WA/SA). Would Foxtel be interested in the new league or would it rely on a new service to pay for TV rights?

I've seen numbers from other posters as well. They all vary from 52% to over 60% for the vic market but no ones linked anything. Have seen a morgan poll posted and that suggest it's somewhere in between those two figures. But it's a morgan poll.

Because most ratings data on this in my posts is done by me personally from the Oztam data I get. This season its 52.5% Melbourne, 47.5% the rest of the 4 mainland capitals. Of the regionals Tasmania and WA regional are about the same, with Tasmania and Victorian regionals making up 3/4 of the regional market for ratings. (noting that SA doesnt have a regional market).

in 2017 we were lucky enough to get some Fox metro data which gave us 51% Melb and 49% other mainland capitals (Sydney and Adelaide suprisingly close at 10 and 12% respectively). No data on regional splits there.

However the value of the markets has to be taken into consideration - and the value of the Victorian market is worth considerably more to advertisers than anywhere except New South Wales.

With ten clubs in victoria and 8 interstate its pretty doomed.

Every time it comes up its a pie in the sky idea, yet you persist and this has to be done every time.

Look at the vic posters in here who supposedly dont care about a new comp coming into this thread to constantly oppose ideas.

Insecure much?

Not every idea is good and workable. If you dont want a discussion dont come into the thread.

Then we'd have a bye because most of the league would have played regardless of the eagles trying to take them hostage, financial stakes are too great for teams if theres no season at all - and if the league deemed the season a go and they declined to play in it, theyd expect to be in breach of their franchise agreement.

But not all viewing numbers are the same--- Foxtel pays a higher $ figure per viewer and it's been repeatedly discussed (but it can't be confirmed) that the majority of the Foxtel money is associated with the Victorian viewership (as currently WA & SA clubs don't need Foxtel as much as they can see their team on FTA every week in WA/SA). Would Foxtel be interested in the new league or would it rely on a new service to pay for TV rights?
Id be interested in seeing figures.
Foxtel is cannibalising itself with kayo - and kayos getting pretty high uptake amongst people who would never otherwise pay for fox.
in wa every year they seem to have more delayed telecasts for fta to encourage people onto fox / kayo - kayo got me onboard as there was finally a reasonable price option without all the other fox stuff im not interested in.

id suggest going for a streaming only subscription service with free to air games being sd and streaming being 1080p /4k

if the new league ran the streaming themselves they could take the money without giving a third party a cut.

they could even stream for free with ads perhaps.

Because most ratings data on this in my posts is done by me personally from the Oztam data I get. This season its 52.5% Melbourne, 47.5% the rest of the 4 mainland capitals. Of the regionals Tasmania and WA regional are about the same, with Tasmania and Victorian regionals making up 3/4 of the regional market for ratings. (noting that SA doesnt have a regional market).

in 2017 we were lucky enough to get some Fox metro data which gave us 51% Melb and 49% other mainland capitals (Sydney and Adelaide suprisingly close at 10 and 12% respectively). No data on regional splits there.

However the value of the markets has to be taken into consideration - and the value of the Victorian market is worth considerably more to advertisers than anywhere except New South Wales.

Every time it comes up its a pie in the sky idea, yet you persist and this has to be done every time.

Not every idea is good and workable. If you dont want a discussion dont come into the thread.

Then we'd have a bye because most of the league would have played regardless of the eagles trying to take them hostage, financial stakes are too great for teams if theres no season at all - and if the league deemed the season a go and they declined to play in it, theyd expect to be in breach of their franchise agreement.
Id suggest that if all the interstate clubs refused to play - theyd be long past caring about the franchise agreement.

west coast flat out said last week they were going home in 2 weeks regardless.

Id suggest that if all the interstate clubs refused to play - theyd be long past caring about the franchise agreement.

west coast flat out said last week they were going home in 2 weeks regardless.

Again, 5 of those clubs are fully board controlled by the AFL. I have every confidence they'll do what they are told.

The AFL Commision rules the AFL. The most powerful position, the Chairman, is a Western Australian. The next most powerful, the CEO, is from South Australia.

The ten commissioners which control e AFL are comprised of -

3 from Western Australia (including the Chairman)
3 from Victoria
2 from NSW
1 from ACT
1 from South Australia (the CEO).

This makes a mockery of the (so called) poll question and the inherent bias of the question makes any result worthless.

Sorry about inserting some inconvenient facts into this mostly fact free thread.

There's that, but then you'd just end with a VFL and virtually zero vic fans would have concern. Same if all the non vic fans just snubbed the AFL.

& the lawyers will have a field day
The media money, follow the money. !!

Would a Melbourne club want to stay local?

Its a backward step because I was more easily convinced by ALL the best players in one comp, the AFL hasnt delivered.

Its not a case for a modern day Kerry Packer, BUT .... private equity has been sniffing around the NRL, South African investors were keen on the Eagles at one point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL Commision rules the AFL. The most powerful position, the Chairman, is a Western Australian. The next most powerful, the CEO, is from South Australia.

3 from Victoria
2 from NSW
1 from ACT

This makes a mockery of the (so called) poll question and the inherent bias of the question makes any result worthless.

Sorry about inserting some inconvenient facts into this mostly fact free thread.
The afl rights deal was signed with 100% of the benefits to go to victorian supporters and zero to anyone else.

Id suggest that any large organisation has a momentum - an inertia - you dont make it to the top unless you toe the company line.

Its self evident in this covid debacle - watching soccer and nrl moving all games from victoria and cricket making plans in case the boxing day test needs to be moved to perth whilst the afl drags its feet show the comp up for what it is.

Thats why i advocate a new administration, a new comp and a relocation to sa

& the lawyers will have a field day
The media money, follow the money. !!

Would a Melbourne club want to stay local?

Its a backward step because I was more easily convinced by ALL the best players in one comp, the AFL hasnt delivered.

Its not a case for a modern day Kerry Packer, BUT .... private equity has been sniffing around the NRL, South African investors were keen on the Eagles at one point.

And then there's US billionaires interested in the giants.

Although this idea of another league is not viable as The_Wookie has stated, still think if it were possible the public interest is there.

And of course melb clubs would want to stay local, it's where their bulk of paying fans and members are.

3 from Victoria
2 from NSW
1 from ACT

Are you suggesting the Commissioners act in the best interest of their States?

Describing Gil as a South Australian is a bit of a stretch as I'm sure you know.

The afl rights deal was signed with 100% of the benefits to go to victorian supporters and zero to anyone else.

Id suggest that any large organisation has a momentum - an inertia - you dont make it to the top unless you toe the company line.

Its self evident in this covid debacle - watching soccer and nrl moving all games from victoria and cricket making plans in case the boxing day test needs to be moved to perth whilst the afl drags its feet show the comp up for what it is.

Thats why i advocate a new administration, a new comp and a relocation to sa

The AFL administration are scrambling to satisfy the TV contract alone imho, & the available moving parts are reducing.

Hopefully the Cats (thru Avalon) can continue at Geelong, further isolating the yesterday business model of the AFL.

It'll be almost impossible to implement a new regime with the consent of the average Victorian.
Living in Victoria and supporting an unsuccessful interstate team has given me a unique view of the true Victorian mentally.
The majority absolutely believe they have a god given right to own the game, they believe football begins and ends in Victoria, they believe the GF is a right afforded to them, when they find out you grew up in Victoria yet support an interstate team they literally laugh in your face and justify this by quoting the number of state premierships they've won whilst completely dismissing other state league premierships.

Victoria is the cancer that will inevitably kill Australian football, the buzzards are already circling and I couldn't care less.

West coast are the only ones making decent coin, fremantle and the 2 sa sides scrape by.

How do you propose a rebranded west coast support the swans, gws, gc, brisbane, nt and tassie?

Considering they will get bugger all for tv rights since the major market for viewing won't be involved.
A8C36CAF-A86F-4625-97DD-E6BA8AE416B5.jpeg Three of the eight teams are getting under the average disbursement - by 2-3 million sydney is sittingright in the average and port, gws, brissy and gc are getting quite a bit more.

View attachment 902835 Three of the eight teams are getting under the average disbursement - by 2-3 million sydney is sittingright in the average and port, gws, brissy and gc are getting quite a bit more.

So you have the three highest for handouts and 4 of the top 5 then add in NT and Tassie since it's not fair for the AFL to exclude them so obviously your break away league would include them, you have 5 teams right off the bat needing massive handouts

Of the 4 teams down the bottom
Brisbane 650k profit
GC 250k profit
Port 500k profit
GWS 860k loss 1.9mil loss in 2018

Of the ones getting below average handouts
Adelaide made 250k profit last year
Freo 1.6mil loss down from 350k profit in 2018
Sydney 500k loss down from 520k profit in 2018

Then you have West Coast who are rolling in it with 8mil profit

Can a re-branded West Coast bank roll 9 other teams?

Oh fik

i forgot my most important demand

Every team song must be based on a boney m tune.

no exceptions

eagles get daddy cool

Now you are making decent suggestions

So you have the three highest for handouts and 4 of the top 5 then add in NT and Tassie since it's not fair for the AFL to exclude them so obviously your break away league would include them, you have 5 teams right off the bat needing massive handouts

Brisbane 650k profit
GC 250k profit
Port 500k profit

Nah it would clearly need a bankroll to start it up like superleague

amazon prime have indicated they would like to get into sports broadcasting

Brisbane 650k profit
GC 250k profit
Port 500k profit

Big IF, if you believe the declared profit is real WHEN 4 clubs might be left standing post Covid 19, Yes the auditors signed off.

Private Equity *

* no !

Last edited:
Burn AFL House to the ground!

What about these guys instead?

th

Back