Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

He certainly tore up Rochy mid-80's but it wouldn't have been a final as Rochy was holding up the ladder from '83 till about '87 when Rosenow returned to coach.

Rosenow was coaching rochy tongue. Must have been 87 then which would have made me 11...Was a semi at Mooroopna

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jonothon Solomon was a jet. One of the last picked in the school yard that went on to play AFL and win a Morrison. Super career for Seymour.
Jono was the icing on our 2005 Yea premiership cake.
$100pw and a long sleeve jumper, and the guy everyone wanted to sit next to as he gave so much to everyone.
I remember sitting across as we discussed him joining us and I was in awe as I remember tagging along with my cousin years earlier who played at Seymour and I just loved the long armed guy in the long sleever.

Saad Saad
Paul Scanlon
Johnathon Solomon
Shane Schottner
Matt O'Keefe
Jason Cole
Glen Cole
Bernie Haberman (PC)
Ben Clifton
Brent Colbert

Can I please lodge genuine arguments for Robbie Douglas, Matt O'Sullivan and Mark Salakowski

$100pw and a long sleeve jumper, and the guy everyone wanted to sit next to as he gave so much to everyone.
I remember sitting across as we discussed him joining us and I was in awe as I remember tagging along with my cousin years earlier who played at Seymour and I just loved the long armed guy in the long sleever.

Can I please lodge genuine arguments for Robbie Douglas, Matt O'Sullivan and Mark Salakowski

Douglas CHB in team of the decade 2000-2010. Felt matt was better as a junior but still a very good senior player. The blond bombshell Salakowski certainly in the mix.

What about our old mate FatBackPocket Doona? He told me in my games of cricket at Seymour that he was the glue that held that footy side together!!

And what clubs will able to spend that much? Just put it at 100 grand all over Victoria, and drop metro points lower than country clubs

$100k is $264.55 per senior player per game (18 rounds).

It would take a significant shift in players mindset of what it means to be a local footballer.

What would district leagues be set at if majors were at $100k?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How many senior players are paid these days? Do all players get a base payment, when I started playing seniors in 2000 the rate was $20 for a win and then incentive awards as well, I imagine that has skyrocketed 20 years later

Why not keep district leagues the same as major leagues, we might see the talent of players dispersed throughout the state, rather then the majority of quality players stay in Melbs. I think it will help country footy as more players will head out to get paid

$100k is $264.55 per senior player per game (18 rounds).

It would take a significant shift in players mindset of what it means to be a local footballer.

What would district leagues be set at if majors were at $100k?

How many senior players are paid these days? Do all players get a base payment, when I started playing seniors in 2000 the rate was $20 for a win and then incentive awards as well, I imagine that has skyrocketed 20 years later

Why not keep district leagues the same as major leagues, we might see the talent of players dispersed throughout the state, rather then the majority of quality players stay in Melbs. I think it will help country footy as more players will head out to get paid
It costs money to get people to travel !

It also cost players money to take out medical insurance and wage insurance !

IMO the should make full medical cover and full wage insurance compulsory .

How much would it cost for medical cover and full wage insurance roar for a player?

At the moment roar, as you would know country clubs have a far lower salary and points than their metro counterparts, so it was a losing battle to entice quality players to the country, it would be fair to say since the start of the decade the standard of gv footy has dipped.

I see highly credentialed coach harmit Singh has moved from coaching Vermont in the strongest league in the state to going to Warragul industrials in the west gippy league, the wheels are turning in country Vic's favour and let's hope more quality coaches and players head to the gv and other country areas to play and coach

It costs money to get people to travel !

It also cost players money to take out medical insurance and wage insurance !

IMO the should make full medical cover and full wage insurance compulsory .

Just a reminder to people when thinking about salary caps etc... whatever they are set at eg 120 k , 100 k whatever.....just because the cap has an upper limit doesn’t mean a club has to spend it. Clubs should only pay what they can afford. Pretty simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying what ever metro does or wants country should expect to follow ?
No, I'm saying that AFL Vic are looking to reduce salary caps across the state and it looks like because of covid it will be by around 50% from what I understand. I could be wrong, it might be reduced by a smaller amount in the country but it will still be significant figure.

The point should be not trying to ruin metro clubs roar, you have to look at it across the state, that's what AFL VIC is supposed to do.

We want all leagues country and metro to play next year, we don't want to see metro clubs fold and all players head to the country, provide an even playing field, and let all clubs Come back 2021. Even more importantly you would hope more juniors play and don't drop out at 17 cos they can't get a game as the seniors are full of ex AFL and vfl.

Are you saying what ever metro does or wants country should expect to follow ?

The point should be not trying to ruin metro clubs roar, you have to look at it across the state, that's what AFL VIC is supposed to do.

We want all leagues country and metro to play next year, we don't want to see metro clubs fold and all players head to the country, provide an even playing field, and let all clubs Come back 2021. Even more importantly you would hope more juniors play and don't drop out at 17 cos they can't get a game as the seniors are full of ex AFL and vfl.
Trent not wanting metro clubs to Fold for the betterment of country clubs but the balance of the past few years has severely affected country footy .
A Shepparton kid who moves to uni in Melbourne and gets flung $250 at a metro club or $250 back home is going to be at significant financial disadvantage to go home .
IMO , A travel component like SANFL footy should sit outside the salary cap at a similar rate to which umpires are paid travel .

The current growth rate of Melbourne is 400k every 5 years (last 3 census)

Greater Shepparton grew at 4000 for the same time period. Bendigo and Ballarat’s growth at 8000 to 10k is a long way behind metro.

These numbers are mind boggling and obviously have impact on available player numbers and sponsorship opportunities.

Society has moved in a way that instead of needing 25 boys living in the area to fill your Thirds, I’d guess that you’d need a pool of 40 as half of them would have zero interest in playing.

From my experience, the growth of population in our area isn’t keeping up with the shift of attitudes towards our sport. How do we remedy this?

Is it to continue to recruit quality players to travel to ensure the standard continues to improve or is it to invest in juniors so that they essentially play for free - all equipment supplied with no registration fees? Doing both would be great!

I’d be interested to know your thoughts on salary cap impacts.

Greater Shepparton grew at 4000 for the same time period. Bendigo and Ballarat’s growth at 8000 to 10k is a long way behind metro.

These numbers are mind boggling and obviously have impact on available player numbers and sponsorship opportunities.

Society has moved in a way that instead of needing 25 boys living in the area to fill your Thirds, I’d guess that you’d need a pool of 40 as half of them would have zero interest in playing.

From my experience, the growth of population in our area isn’t keeping up with the shift of attitudes towards our sport. How do we remedy this?

Is it to continue to recruit quality players to travel to ensure the standard continues to improve or is it to invest in juniors so that they essentially play for free - all equipment supplied with no registration fees? Doing both would be great!

All smart footballl clubs whether metro or country now realise their juniors are the most important part of a successful senior football club.Might be a little different in the country I would think if the jobs/education system etc not there for the young guys and they have to head to metro Melbourne.Perhaps a higher salary cap for country Victoria clubs should be considered.

Roar I understand completely your point, I've taken on many metro and ammo league posts stating the current system is ruining country footy, where metro clubs have more points and greater salary, so as you say over the 5 years or since the inception of points country guys living in metro or regional areas are picked off, as they normally train away at that club and eventually play there.

If everyone plays on the same salary and metro and ammos have the least amount of points, more players will play in the country.

Interesting point by Grasskat, (a great footy boot in March on the hard northern grounds) yep country populations are changing, I will use my home town of Kerang as example, the population hasn't changed in 40 years but it has reduced in school age kids at the high school when I was there mid 90s to 2000 where it was approx 750 kids, it's now 300 with the same amount of clubs to fill teams with, that's a big change, add on the fact the majority have to move for work or study.

Kerang and clubs like Kyabram, Rochester, Nathalia, Maffra, Leongatha etc have really improved though in retaining their junior stars, who provide great service to the club and travel year in year out and it's no coincidence all the clubs mentioned have been powerful clubs over the last decade.

When Kerang entered the cmfl in the late 90s the side was all locals, where if you went away for work or school you played there, so clubs have done well to adapt and tap into their homegrown talent to return

Trent not wanting metro clubs to Fold for the betterment of country clubs but the balance of the past few years has severely affected country footy .
A Shepparton kid who moves to uni in Melbourne and gets flung $250 at a metro club or $250 back home is going to be at significant financial disadvantage to go home .
IMO , A travel component like SANFL footy should sit outside the salary cap at a similar rate to which umpires are paid travel .

Just a reminder to people when thinking about salary caps etc... whatever they are set at eg 120 k , 100 k whatever.....just because the cap has an upper limit doesn’t mean a club has to spend it. Clubs should only pay what they can afford. Pretty simple.

Also doesn't mean clubs wont cheat it either mate!

What percentage of players travel to play in the GVFL.
The list below is from the new G25 Report on restructuring West Gippsland Footy.
I must admit I was quite surprised at the numbers for the 3 leagues at the top of the list.
That adds up to quite a few players in a team on average.

League % of Out-of-Region Players West Gippsland Football Netball Competition
West Gippsland Football Netball Competition 27.9%
Alberton Football Netball League 20.1%
Ellinbank & District Football League 17.8%
Mid Gippsland Football Netball League 6.1%
North Gippsland Football Netball League 5.4%
Gippsland League 5.2%
Omeo & District Football Netball League 3.7%
East Gippsland Football Netball League 3.0%

Last edited:
What about our old mate FatBackPocket Doona? He told me in my games of cricket at Seymour that he was the glue that held that footy side together!!
Oh yeh FBP and I went head to head early days before we kissed and made up to the point I nearly joined The Den Under SJ and Habers ....talk about opportunity missed

No, I'm saying that AFL Vic are looking to reduce salary caps across the state and it looks like because of covid it will be by around 50% from what I understand. I could be wrong, it might be reduced by a smaller amount in the country but it will still be significant figure.
I believe AFL VIC can push that in hub aligned leagues but may not be as easy in non hub areas of Melbourne.

Same goes for stuff like club/league insurance policies etc, if not under AFL VIC rule it will soon be made near impossible to obtain insurance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back