Preview Changes v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Bonar actually play, or was he one of those man-childs who got by on size in the Jnr levels?

Can Bonar actually play, or was he one of those man-childs who got by on size in the Jnr levels?
He can play in the guts Which you would think should have happened when cunners is out
Forward he’s ok but like most half forwards can go missing as he’s not a crumber so if the ball constantly goes to the keys then he lacks supply

He’s arguably the best ruckman in the league right now & you want to sit him forward?

If we had Larkey playing, no,
We can set up for losing/breaking even in the ruck, I'd love him to play totally in the ruck but Brown needs support forward

I know its robbing peter to pay Paul but I don't think we have too many options.
Figure its a chance to see what Xerri can do for large parts of the game and can swap with Goldy forward as need be.

We can set up for losing/breaking even in the ruck, I'd love him to play totally in the ruck but Brown needs support forward

I know its robbing peter to pay Paul but I don't think we have too many options.
Figure its a chance to see what Xerri can do for large parts of the game and can swap with Goldy forward as need be.
Yeah nah
Just bring Wood in as third tall for ziebs

Let the oppo worry about containing brown, Xerri and wood in the air

Why would you Move Goldy there, we can move Walker there if need be, or tell Goldy to Ruck and push forward.
Or one of our 1st round tall draft picks can pull the finger out and start contributing.

Brown needs support sure, but he is putting in some very weak efforts in the marking contests. 200cm, 100kg, smash that pack open and let the ball hit the ground.

You gotta remember that most of his junior career was destroyed by two knee recos, so there wasn't much form to speak of on which to judge him. He was regarded as an athletic freak who would be an awesome get if he could actually play, hence GWS picked him up early because they could afford to take the risk with one of their 46,000 first round picks.

He played six U/18 games with Dandenong in 2017, his draft year.

Game 1: 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 1 goal. 2 marks.
Game 2: 9 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 goals, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 5th best on ground.
Game 3: 8 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles.
Game 4: 11 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3rd best on ground.
Game 5: 4 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 goal, 2 marks, 7 tackles
Game 6: 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks, 8 tackles

Averaged 7 kicks, 6.8 handballs, 3.5 marks, 4.1 tackles and under a goal a game. Not exactly prolific. For comparison his teammate LDU averaged 24.2 disposals, 4.3 marks, 3.5 tackles and a goal a game.

For GWS he rotated between on ball and forward during his time at NEAFL level.

NEAFL 2019
Averaged 8.6 kicks, 9.8 handballs, 2.5 marks, 6.1 tackles & .62 goals a game.

NEAFL 2018
Averaged 10.4 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks, 6.3 tackles & .64 goals a game.

Those are reasonable numbers considering the standard but don't show improvement or dominance. At AFL level he has never set the world alight either.

Overall I think it fair to say that there is no clear evidence that Bonar has ever been a midfield ball magnet. I think he as much as anyone will suffer as a consequence of the lack of VFL games this year, as he really could have just focused on becoming that ball winning mid we could add to our rotations. That said, I think it far more likely that Bonar was a speculative early round pick based on an athletic profile that did not come off. He might have a decent AFL career, but it is just as likely that he is delisted in two years.

Last edited:
You gotta remember that most of his junior career was destroyed by two knee recos, so there wasn't much form to speak of on which to judge him. He was regarded as an athletic freak who would be an awesome get if he could actually play, hence GWS picked him up early because they could afford to take the risk with one of their 46,000 first round picks.

Averaged 7 kicks, 6.8 handballs, 3.5 marks, 4.1 tackles and under a goal a game. Not exactly prolific. For comparison his teammate LDU averaged 24.2 disposals, 4.3 marks, 3.5 tackles and a goal a game.

NEAFL 2019

NEAFL 2018

Those are reasonable numbers considering the standard but don't show improvement or dominance. At AFL level he has never set the world alight either.

Overall I think it fair to say that there is no clear evidence that Bonar has ever been a midfield ball magnet. I think he as much as anyone will suffer as a consequence of the lack of VFL games this year, as he really could have just focused on becoming that ball winning mid we could add to our rotations. That said, I think it far more likely that Bonar was a speculative early round pick based on an athletic profile that did not come off. He might have a decent AFL career, but it is just as likely that he is delisted in two years.

If I take the previous week as an example in relation to the scratch match I have 3 ins..... cunners Scott and walker..... for ziebell ats and ahern.... daw sounds like he needs another blowout in the twos

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I take the previous week as an example in relation to the scratch match I have 3 ins..... cunners Scott and walker..... for ziebell ats and ahern.... daw sounds like he needs another blowout in the twos

If cunners gets up somehow I doubt that we will burn both Ats and Ahern. I'd say it will be Zeebs and Ahern for Scott and Cunners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Shaw will drop a senior player this week.

Out: Atley, Zeibell (inj)
In: Cunners, Walker

Williams Tarrant Hayden
Pittard J Walker LMac
Polec Cunners Walker
Taylor Brown Dumont
Xerri Thomas Anderson

Goldy Higgins Simpkin

Ahern Hall Mahoney Zurhaar

Zurhaar to the bench as a rocket.

Thomas to full forward and play behind Xerri.

English is actually pretty good at covering the ground. Goldy should handle him fairly well in the ruck contests but English really pushes hard to either end of the ground. He can be a threat forward

NEAFL 2019

NEAFL 2018

Thanks Mate.

So pretty much as you say, a gamble by GWS which didn't pay off taking him so early.
Nothing to suggest he has what it takes to make it apart from his athletic ability, which is also questionable after 2 recos.
Well we have a tagging role that he can try and claim i guess.

English is actually pretty good at covering the ground. Goldy should handle him fairly well in the ruck contests but English really pushes hard to either end of the ground. He can be a threat forward
Very true, ruck work is poor, likely due to being too weak currently, but he gets a decent share of the ball.

I think Shaw will drop a senior player this week.

Out: Atley, Zeibell (inj)
In: Cunners, Walker

Williams Tarrant Hayden
Pittard J Walker LMac
Polec Cunners Walker
Taylor Brown Dumont
Xerri Thomas Anderson

Goldy Higgins Simpkin

Ahern Hall Mahoney Zurhaar

Zurhaar to the bench as a rocket.

Thomas to full forward and play behind Xerri.
We are already struggling to mark the ball, if Ziebell goes wood or Hosie have to come in

We can’t be depleting our marking power further it’s already s**t

I can’t argue with that.

Well I certainly can
Mass confusion using this terminology

Calling individual players OR the team Inconsistent implies that in some future Utopia THEY BECOME CONSISTENT

But this is exactly the Point.....
The players and the Team are not that good BECAUSE they are Inconsistent

Look at Cunners and Goldy, maybe Higgins
They play good to very good nearly all the time Will add Taz too

most Of the rest, especially our Captain are just hot and cold

If I see one more post about Hosie I'm gonna lose it.

The club hasn't talked him up AT ALL, he's shown nothing to warrant his selection lately, and with his reportedly shitty attitude why the hell should he get a game.

What evidence is there to suggest he's next in line right now? Someone please ******* enlighten me.

We are already struggling to mark the ball, if Ziebell goes wood or Hosie have to come in

We can’t be depleting our marking power further it’s already sh*t

Wood has been give enough chances and needs to work on attracting/getting the ball

Hosie by reports has a bad attitude and returned like he was trying out as the Goodyear blimp.

If I see one more post about Hosie I'm gonna lose it.

The club hasn't talked him up AT ALL, he's shown nothing to warrant his selection lately, and with his reportedly shitty attitude why the hell should he get a game.

What evidence is there to suggest he's next in line right now? Someone please ******* enlighten me.

This years Ayden Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back