Unofficial Preview Changes v Port Adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tend to agree, obviously they must think there is no pressure on McStay from any of our young KPF, otherwise you would think they would have got a chance last week against Adelaide.
Maybe yes, maybe no. I think it's pretty clear that Fagan is big on team chemistry and consistency, and doesn't like making a lot of changes. On top of that, he seems to have clear roles that he trusts certain players to fill (eg Rayner, McStay, Archie as backup ruck, and anyone he's brought in by free agency). And he won't drop those players unless he has to. So it's hard for certain players to get a look in.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I think it's pretty clear that Fagan is big on team chemistry and consistency, and doesn't like making a lot of changes. On top of that, he seems to have clear roles that he trusts certain players to fill (eg Rayner, McStay, Archie as backup ruck, and anyone he's brought in by free agency). And he won't drop those players unless he has to. So it's hard for certain players to get a look in.
You can't argue with winning.

There seems to be some concern that we'll lose good players with our list cuts without giving them an opportunity but every club's in the same boat. There are going to be many unrealised talents looking for less list places. I'd still love to see us being a bit more adventurous . If we had had a normal injury list over the last 18 months you would've seen the likes of Payne and Ballenden given some games .That's the main reason we don't have many changes.

You can't argue with winning.
You're right, you can't argue with winning. And so my gripes aren't all that big in the end, clearly Fagan has got most things right. I question whether we win because of certain players (Archie Smith most notably) or despite them, but a win is a win, and I'm pretty happy with everything at the end of the day.

There seems to be some concern that we'll lose good players with our list cuts without giving them an opportunity but every club's in the same boat. There are going to be many unrealised talents looking for less list places. I'd still love to see us being a bit more adventurous .
Again, you're correct, every club will be in the same boat. But I don't want the Lions to be just like every other club, I want them to be superior, and get the maximum value out of our list. That's why I too want us to be adventurous.

These changes WON'T happen BUT this what I would do

McStay, Birchall, Zorko, Archie ..OUT
Skinner, Answerth, Martin, Payne. IN

skinner for Mcstay,
Payne for Birchall, Port have 3 talls over 197cm, you would think Harris goes to Dixon, think we need another KPD to line up on Marshall, think Gardnier is more suited to Rozee. Marshall has been in really good form for port, and is real providing a real double threat with Charlie.
Answerth for Zorko, not like for like, BUT bring in Answerth and swing Ah Chee forward, to his more natural position.
and Martin for Archie.

These changes WON'T happen BUT this what I would do

McStay, Birchall, Zorko, Archie ..OUT
Skinner, Answerth, Martin, Payne. IN

skinner for Mcstay,
Payne for Birchall, Port have 3 talls over 197cm, you would think Harris goes to Dixon, think we need another KPD to line up on Marshall, think Gardnier is more suited to Rozee. Marshall has been in really good form for port, and is real providing a real double threat with Charlie.
Answerth for Zorko, not like for like, BUT bring in Answerth and swing Ah Chee forward, to his more natural position.
and Martin for Archie.
Correct, they wont happen. Zorko out, Berry in is the only change at this stage of the week.

That’s your opinion.

Obviously I have a different opinion.

We’ll never know how Payne will perform until he’s selected.

We didn’t play West Coast on the weekend.
I'm happy for you to have your opinion but pleeeaaase don't let this become a weekly lets drop Gardiner bash fest. He is and has been too good a player for that.

I think Payne has lot of potential and like what I have seen of him. His time will come, most likely through injuries.

I'm happy for you to have your opinion but pleeeaaase don't let this become a weekly lets drop Gardiner bash fest. He is and has been too good a player for that.

I think Payne has lot of potential and like what I have seen of him. His time will come, most likely through injuries.
Gardner is not going to be dropped based on his performance thus far. He's been one of the few solid performers week in week out.......anybody who thinks that is so far off the mark its not funny in my opinion. I also hope Payne gets his chance but all he can do at the moment is bring his best game each week in these praccy match's and wait for his opportunity to come like all the others.

I’ve never done that in the past. Not sure why you think I would do it now.

If no one quoted my first post, I wouldn’t have said anything more.

If we weren’t playing Port (or Richmond) I wouldn’t have said it in the first place.

But people did quote me, asking for an explanation, so I gave one. And people kept questioning my reasoning.

All cool. It was just a discussion.

Match ups? Really looks like we are going to need an additional tall down back or we could get caught out, as it is Gardiner is undersized v Westhoff, Jack Payne a possibility to debut IMO.

Andrews > Dixon.
Starcevich > Rozee.
Gardiner > Westhoff.
??? > Lycett/Marshall.

Berry keeps a close eye on Boak and Robbo gives Rocky a brutal early hip and shoulder early.

Match ups? Really looks like we are going to need an additional tall down back or we could get caught out, as it is Gardiner is undersized v Westhoff, Jack Payne a possibility to debut IMO.

Andrews > Dixon.
Starcevich > Rozee.
Gardiner > Westhoff.
??? > Lycett/Marshall.

Berry keeps a close eye on Boak and Robbo gives Rocky a brutal early hip and shoulder early.

Lester/Gardiner can take Westhoff and Marshall. They won't both play deep along with Dixon.

Crows had Walker/Frampton/Himmelberg and Lynch and it wasn't an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester/Gardiner can take Westhoff and Marshall. They won't both play deep along with Dixon.

Crows had Walker/Frampton/Himmelberg and Lynch and it wasn't an issue.
Take your point although the Crows are in atrocious form and the Power are top and undefeated with a percentage of 236.3% and are playing a quick brand of footy so I am assuming there will be more 1 v 1s in defence.

Take your point although the Crows are in atrocious form and the Power are top and undefeated with a percentage of 236.3% and are playing a quick brand of footy so I am assuming there will be more 1 v 1s in defence.

Port are also short in their defence when we have Oscar forward but they'll back themselves to play a team defence and use their speed on the way out.

I think we have been carrying too many mids in recent weeks and we have been poorer for it with too many changes during games and too many trying to do the same thing. We were better in this game when Berry got more of an opportunity through the middle and Bailey got more of an opportunity to get up and down the ground.

For me therefore I would be bringing in Coleman for Zorko. He is a true forward flanker who is not going to get in the road of others and can actually kick a goal. He gets into space nicely and his delivery into forward 50 is also excellent.

We saw again on the weekend how Gardner has trouble handling true key position players. With Port being quite tall I think we have to bring in another tall defender. Give Payne or Eagles a game and see what they can do. I would go with a one ruck option for this game to make room.

Ah Chee was better this game but still made a few poor decisions. You probably give him another based on the improvement but for me I am not seeing that he offers anything more than quite a few other options we have and the mistakes may cost us at important times. Birchall makes a few nice kicks each game but realistically is a bit of a liability at the back as well and should be another on the watch list.
I would love to see Payne monster Marshall.

Great thing about these forums is everyone can express an opinion and allows for discussions. I too don't think Gardiner gets dropped, in fact I doubt other than Zorks and possibly Martin injuries there will be no changes, although I would 'manage' Birchall and give Payne the match up against Marshall but WONT HAPPEN

I too don't think Gardiner gets dropped, in fact I doubt other than Zorks and possibly Martin injuries there will be no changes, although I would 'manage' Birchall and give Payne the match up against Marshall but WONT HAPPEN
I like it!
It’s a good way of making a change without really making a change.
If you get my drift?

Sounds like we’re going to have more supporters at the Gabba this weekend.

Looks like up to 20,000

Announced by Pal-a-whose-name-I-can't spell about 20 minutes ago:-

Phase 3 brought forward by a week

Queensland was due to go into Phase 3 of easing restrictions on July 10, but Phase 3 is kicking off this week, coming into effect from midday on Friday, July 3.

Here’s what will change:

• Up to 100 guests will be allowed at weddings, funerals, house parties and fitness classes
  • Gaming lounges will reopen
  • Contact community sports will be allowed to resume, with no limits on outside spectators with social distancing
  • The limit of 20 people per space will be lifted at pubs, clubs, restaurants and cafes. Larger venues will need to allow for four square metres of floor space per patron. Smaller venues will be allowed one person per two square metres up to a maximum of 50 for venues between 100 and 200 square metres. That's smaller venues.
  • Stadiums will be allowed up to 50 per cent capacity or as many as 25,000 spectators

Yippee!

I'm in that ballot already:D

Looks like up to 20,000

Announced by Pal-a-whose-name-I-can't spell about 20 minutes ago:-

Phase 3 brought forward by a week

Queensland was due to go into Phase 3 of easing restrictions on July 10, but Phase 3 is kicking off this week, coming into effect from midday on Friday, July 3.

Here’s what will change:

• Up to 100 guests will be allowed at weddings, funerals, house parties and fitness classes
  • Gaming lounges will reopen
  • Contact community sports will be allowed to resume, with no limits on outside spectators with social distancing
  • The limit of 20 people per space will be lifted at pubs, clubs, restaurants and cafes. Larger venues will need to allow for four square metres of floor space per patron. Smaller venues will be allowed one person per two square metres up to a maximum of 50 for venues between 100 and 200 square metres. That's smaller venues.
  • Stadiums will be allowed up to 50 per cent capacity or as many as 25,000 spectators

Yippee!

I'm in that ballot already:D
Probably no real need for a ballot anymore?

I wonder how the members who put their memberships on hold are feeling now, if they want to go to games this season they have to pay and only get a 10% discount on next years membership, pledgers get to go to games and get 20% discount on 2021 memberships.

I wonder how the members who put their memberships on hold are feeling now, if they want to go to games this season they have to pay and only get a 10% discount on next years membership, pledgers get to go to games and get 20% discount on 2021 memberships.
Got a mate asking himself this exact question right now.

Eh, Gardiner’s predraft reputation was that he was the best defender in his draft.

But he’s undersized to play on genuine tall forwards at AFL level.

As I’ve said repeatedly, I believe he plays to far off his man, and this is costing us at times.

That might be a coaching instruction, as it’s pretty clear our defenders do push right up when we’re attacking and have the ball in the forward half of the ground.

My, and Quigley’s assessments, are made on players performances at AFL level.

If they were based on predraft reputation, I’d be calling for Skinner to be played in defence.

This is true, he was considered the best option in a poor pool of KPD, McStay was also in contention for having more weapons but less pure defensive ability. FWIW Knightmare thought McStay was the pick of the two, with Gardener being undersized and too vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back