Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Question for you marathoners here... Am I being a sook, or is it much harder when you go over 21k... Only done it twice but a couple of weeks ago did 23 and it was real tough, then last week cruised through 21.. Today did 25, feel good now/after but it just seemed so much harder, not sure if it's mental or just as I'm going into uncharted territory
Did feel getting to 23 felt easier though so who knows

What pace are you generally going at?

What pace are you generally going at?

5.28 a km was the average today, I've got a half marathon PB of 1:47 so I'm not overly quick, i probably do need to slow down though these longer runs as it's more about getting the distance isn't it?

All uncharted territory for me, 23 was the longest I'd done before today

It definitely gets harder. Your body needs to adapt.

I knew about the old 'marathon starts at 30km' saying and thought I was prepared, but even second go around that 30+ mark really hurt BAD.

Definitely add your distance in small increments and definitely do those kilometres slowly. Adapt to time on your feet and distance rather than worrying about pace.

They call them LSR (long slow runs) for a reason.

One thing I've learnt from my past 18 months of physio and strength and conditioning which also relates to increasing distance in running is the meaning of the word ADAPTATION. Your body needs to adapt. Give it a chance.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Long runs are all about time on feet - so definitely don't approach these as a fast workout.

Example - my average long run (30k) pace is a full minute and a half slower than my half marathon PB pace. It's all about building strength

Yeah i was speaking to a mate about it and he said yes it does get harder because your body is using stores of energy it hasn't gone into before... But also made the point i need to deliberately slow down, and not just truck along as I am.. Especially from a recovery point of view

Boots73

Senior List
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Podcasts for me, used to listen to music but i just wasn't really listening, it was just noise.
I am pretty bad, i listen to the same shows on the same days each week haha.. So my Tuesday and Thursday runs I listen to the Inside Running Podcast and their Road to Nowhere Show, weekend long run i listen to the Scrubs podcast and then a Ringer one or Geelong Cats one depending on just how long i have in my plan to be out for
Same same, I've had for years.obe the thing, certainly not fancy but reliable.
Same run with a 235 and more than happy with it

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
What do you guys do for shin splints?

I'm not a long-distance runner (play soccer) but I've had this issue over a year now. Rest worked but the pain comes back as soon as I start again. Leg exercises like lunges, calf raises, squats etc haven't improved pain in 6+ months.

Any tips from people who (I assume as long-distance runners?) have gone through this as. I'm at a loss at this point

What do you guys do for shin splints?

I'm not a long-distance runner (play soccer) but I've had this issue over a year now. Rest worked but the pain comes back as soon as I start again. Leg exercises like lunges, calf raises, squats etc haven't improved pain in 6+ months.

Any tips from people who (I assume as long-distance runners?) have gone through this as. I'm at a loss at this point
Look at your footwear. You may need orthotics. I’d get it checked out with a podiatrist. I had shin splints and ended up getting orthotics as I had really flat feet, haven’t had an issue since.

Did 19kms at 4:37 a km this morning. Felt really good.

New distance pb for me pushing out 27k before sunrise, felt good... Was getting a bit sore in my hip and right knee last couple of Ks but I think it's an adjustment thing, as i was the same a couple of weeks ago gettinf to 25..but i felt fine up to 25 yesterday...

Could also be a mental thing I suppose.

Slowed my pace down, kept my HR in z2 for 98% of it so was happy, pulled up really well as well, feel like I haven't been for a run which is good.

Onwards and upwards!

after a 5 week lay off i'm back running 20 minutes every second day.
physically it's probably not doing much for me but mentally it makes a world of difference.

i'm really looking forward to my 30 min "long run" on the weekend.

Yep I'm loving my 6km longs :) Absolute makes a difference just to be out there :thumbsu:

after a 5 week lay off i'm back running 20 minutes every second day.
physically it's probably not doing much for me but mentally it makes a world of difference.

i'm really looking forward to my 30 min "long run" on the weekend.
Yep I'm loving my 6km longs :) Absolute makes a difference just to be out there :thumbsu:

How are you guys finding the mental side of it all, and I suppose i mean how much does just getting out there help you mentally?

Like since I have gotten right into it I find the benefits mentally are massive, and especially at the moment when the world is a pretty s**t place.. the clearing s**t out of head from a run is just incredible

(also bought another pair of shoes today haha)

haha well firstly I've bought a pair of NB 1080 v10 and Nike Zoom Fly 3s the past week or so .... so :thumbsu: to new shoes lol

But mentally, yes it's great. Yesterday was one of those can't be assed kind of days but got it done anyway.... and felt better for it. That's always the way. It's great for mindset and I can barely remember a time I regretted having a run.

We all have our different jobs/studies/family/home life situations but whatever you are going through it's a great way to clear the mind. Whether it's as part of a run group and the ability to connect with others, or just hitting the roads/trails alone and zoning out.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm actually living for my running these days. On Saturdays I go for a massive, long, * off, lose myself run along the Yarra all the way through Fitzroy and around Richmond/Sth Yarra, out and back. Around 30k's. I absolutely lose myself for a few hours, then I warm down with a walk through the Botanical Gardens which is lovely.
By the way Willo_ , I bought the 1080's and they are fantastic. I also bought some Asics Glideride's and they are sensational as well. I haven't had Asics for over 10 years but the cushioning in these is great for long runs.

I'm actually living for my running these days. On Saturdays I go for a massive, long, fu** off, lose myself run along the Yarra all the way through Fitzroy and around Richmond/Sth Yarra, out and back. Around 30k's. I absolutely lose myself for a few hours, then I warm down with a walk through the Botanical Gardens which is lovely.
By the way Willo_ , I bought the 1080's and they are fantastic. I also bought some Asics Glideride's and they are sensational as well. I haven't had Asics for over 10 years but the cushioning in these is great for long runs.
Yeah I reckon i am noticeably fresher after a long run in the 1080s than I had been in my Nike Pegs...got some bloody blisters early in them which annoyed me but all good now. I've put 100ks into them already now in 4 weeks just wearing them once a week though so I didn't ease into them.

I got a pair of Nike Odyssey Reacts today, had some of the first version as the first pair of running shoes I got myself and I loved them, so saw some on sale really cheap... And I really liked the colourway haha so grabbed them. They are just a light super bouncy type shoe I figure will be good for those easy 40/45 min runs where you are just cruising along.

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well I've now hit the 100k mark on both the 1080 & the Glideride.
The 1080 is a very, very comfortable shoe and requires no breaking in. The best upper and heel lock and it also feels like a very stable shoe.
The run itself is smooth, I didn't find it had much of an energy return and I also found my legs very sore the next day, especially after a 15k or more threshold run.
The Glideride, is the first pair of Asics I've owned in over 10 years. I bought them purely based on the fact that everything I read mentioned they were good for high mileage. Again, feel great straight out of the box and Asics always have great uppers on their shoes. A very pronounced meta rocker means you are always forced up on your toes straight out of a midfoot strike. I liked this as I can be very sloppy around the 15km mark. The gel is noticeable and it is also a smooth ride. My first run in these, I broke my 10k pb by 4½ minutes. Even better, the next day my legs still felt very fresh. The only downside at the moment is I struggle to have the upper eyelets lace-locked as it pinches on the top of my foot, regardless of how tight or loose I have them.
IMG_2632 (1).jpg

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
About to jump on a pair of ASICS Novablast... would be my first ASICS purchase since I was 17. Anyone tried them?

Glad to see you all love the 1080s as much as I do! They’re an unreal ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
My first run in these, I broke my 10k pb by 4½ minutes.
what the? o_O
not even a mountain of pebax and 3 carbon plates will give you that sort of improvement... all those miles along the Yarra are seriously paying off.

congrats on being in the best shape of your life.

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
what the? o_O
not even a mountain of pebax and 3 carbon plates will give you that sort of improvement... all those miles along the Yarra are seriously paying off.

congrats on being in the best shape of your life.

It was supposed to be an easy run and I kept my heart rate at 80% for most of the run. (I’m doing 80/20). I will admit, the last 2 k’s I looked at the time and thought it was my first chance to run under 50min for 10 k’s. The funny thing was, it was a 15 k run so I was knackered after running 2 consecutive kilometres at sub 4min k’s just to get that PB. I have to put it down to the shoes, I did the same circuit in 1080’s, Clifton 6’s and Rincon’s and haven’t had the same results or recovery.
I’ll try the Gliderides again this weekend and establish whether it was a fluke, just a good day or the shoes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
It was supposed to be an easy run and I kept my heart rate at 80% for most of the run. (I’m doing 80/20). I will admit, the last 2 k’s I looked at the time and thought it was my first chance to run under 50min for 10 k’s. The funny thing was, it was a 15 k run so I was knackered after running 2 consecutive kilometres at sub 4min k’s just to get that PB. I have to put it down to the shoes, I did the same circuit in 1080’s, Clifton 6’s and Rincon’s and haven’t had the same results or recovery.
I’ll try the Gliderides again this weekend and establish whether it was a fluke, just a good day or the shoes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
i have no doubt that the shoes made a big difference for you but I reckon you're selling yourself short. taking 4½ minutes off your previous best is a bloody good effort and i reckon you deserve some (a lot) of the credit.

also, if you can drop two sub 4 minute k's at the back end of a 10k effort thats part of a 15k run then you're easily in better than 50 minute shape.
i think you're fitter than you think you are. ;)

Well I've now hit the 100k mark on both the 1080 & the Glideride.
The 1080 is a very, very comfortable shoe and requires no breaking in. The best upper and heel lock and it also feels like a very stable shoe.
The run itself is smooth, I didn't find it had much of an energy return and I also found my legs very sore the next day, especially after a 15k or more threshold run.
Interesting.. I have pulled up well from my 1080s, agree with the energy return bit but I think they are more just a long run slugger to keep ticking along in.
I'm wearing mine on my weekend long runs, and not putting in any speed and they are going great... New test this weekend, will be pushing my distance PB out to 29k!

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting.. I have pulled up well from my 1080s, agree with the energy return bit but I think they are more just a long run slugger to keep ticking along in.
I'm wearing mine on my weekend long runs, and not putting in any speed and they are going great... New test this weekend, will be pushing my distance PB out to 29k!

I am 50 though so maybe the longer runs just hit me a bit harder. I never expected the Glideride to be that good as Asics haven't really been that innovative for a few years now and have been overtaken in the tech area. That's probably where I've been going wrong with the 1080's and going too hard and not just racking up mileage. They're actually really comfortable in the run though.
29k sounds like a good few hours well spent. :thumbsu:

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just did a coopers test, see what distance you can cover in 12 minutes.

Ended up an average pace of 3:47 and a total distance of 3.17km.

Since I've been under a proper training plan I definitely feel my stamina and even my legs have built a much stronger tolerance. Previously I was doing my own thing and making some pretty stupid decisions.

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just did a coopers test, see what distance you can cover in 12 minutes.

Ended up an average pace of 3:47 and a total distance of 3.17km.

Since I've been under a proper training plan I definitely feel my stamina and even my legs have built a much stronger tolerance. Previously I was doing my own thing and making some pretty stupid decisions.

Feeling a bit embarrassed at not knowing what a Coopers test was.
I'm going to give this a go on Saturday, 2400m is considered great for my age group.

Back