2020 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even the top story on the AFL website. Which, whenever anything like this happens with us, it is splash page after splash page.

Third story down. And the headline reads: "UPDATE: Pies, AFL thrash out Steele's COVID ban, four games possible"

So the narrative is that Collingwood and the AFL - both victims - are working together to figure out what a fair outcome is in all this. They're "thrashing it out".

It's just ******* unbelievable.

And it's because they are there. Right there, next door to each other. This is how this league works. It is not a national league.

Can you imagine if the NFL was negotiating where the Super Bowl would be played for the next 50 years, and ONLY the CEO of the New England Patriots was at the negotiating table?

Because that's what happened with the AFL Grand Final and Collingwood's president.
How can you take this league seriously?

I look forward to shapeless blob Adelaide's next punishment being HANDED DOWN by AFL House.

We are guests in their league. Nothing more.
Now trying to get the potential ban reduced due to "compassionate clause," guaranteed if a SA team was involved the player would get life

Now trying to get the potential ban reduced due to "compassionate clause," guaranteed if a SA team was involved the player would get life

Also he's considered a 'star' I'm sure if Fyfe was in this situation it'd be the same.

If it was Dusty they would've already announced a suspended sentence

Now they're pulling out the "compassionate reasons" excuse for Sidebottom.

What a pathetic organisation the AFL is.
You would have thought with all the incidents that have occurred, the clubs and AFL would be hammering this home to the players no excuses, the next player caught should get the rest of the season off

Walking around under the influence isn’t offence. Driving pissed is.

It doesn't mitigate other's responsibility under law though. And it has been an offence and appears to remain one in some places. So, in Vic or QLD, is that driver's duty removed purely because the person was drunk despite otherwise adhere ing to the rules surrounding the use of pedestrian crossings?

Hmm... what are these "compassionate reasons"? <Reads article> Apparently it was
Due to Jeremy Howe's serious injury the night before, this could potentially wipe the first breach of spending multiple hours at his place.

FFS. I was expecting it to be something like visiting a seriously / terminally ill relative. Sympathies to Jeremy Howe, but I'm sorry, visiting a teammate who has just suffered a serious injury doesn't get you off "because compassionate".

This is the more relevant quote:
The hefty nature of Sidebottom's possible ban owes to his multiple breaches, and the AFL arguing footballers should be better educated by now on the damage those actions can have on the competition.

Why is the AFL "arguing" or discussing with Colingwood, anyway!?!?!

We wouldn't even try. We couldn't suspend our player quick enough if they combined drinking with breaking COVID protocols. Admin loves to wield their influence into footy ops.

Hmm... what are these "compassionate reasons"? <Reads article> Apparently it was

FFS. I was expecting it to be something like visiting a seriously / terminally ill relative. Sympathies to Jeremy Howe, but I'm sorry, visiting a teammate who has just suffered a serious injury doesn't get you off "because compassionate".

This is the more relevant quote:

Why is the AFL "arguing" or discussing with Colingwood, anyway!?!?!
If the AFL let him off, what sort of message does that send - considering people have not been able to visit loved ones for months during lockdown and still struggle to across borders now..if he has broken the rules on multiple counts - he just needs to cop a significant punishment and let it be a lesson to others

You would have thought with all the incidents that have occurred, the clubs and AFL would be hammering this home to the players no excuses, the next player caught should get the rest of the season off

It's definitely a different club culture. Overtly trying to minimise the damage to the team instead of making a big statement as to how strong we are corporately.

If the AFL let him off, what sort of message does that send - considering people have not been able to visit loved ones for months during lockdown and still struggle to across borders now..if he has broken the rules on multiple counts - he just needs to cop a significant punishment and let it be a lesson to others

He won't be let off, they're trying to remove that breach only so his penalty is reduced. If successful, he'll still get games for the other breaches.

Not at all. The inability to read the room is staggering. Especially what, 30 years after the event just because there is a black lives matter protest existing concurrently.

Like, I get Sam is mentally done and offers nothing of note to any modern-day issue, but Sheehan involvement is just extremely disappointing. Though, I don't mind Fox sports move of ditch the podcast or find other employment. Probably the deserved consequence.
Shows how important it is to have friends, acquaintances or at least people you speak to reasonably regularly over a wide age-range. Helps you stay current in your thinking rather than just sharing thoughts and getting angry at the world with the same old boilers you always have. Works from both ends too. Eg getting thoughts on the world from groups of people who've collectively never had a family, mortgage, job, run a business etc.

Leigh Matthews said that he wasn't really in favour of women's football until he saw how excited one of his granddaughters was about playing. It gave him perspective and opened up his thinking.

If you are under, you are under and OK, the second you are one bees dick over...I'm stamping your file "claim denied, not to be insured through us again"

This guy sees it differently. My old man was in insurance for decades. I recall him saying similar stuff regarding any defects, ie bald tyres, needed to be proven to have contributed to the accident occurring. Have you come across similar matters in your work history?

4FB63826-7B98-48A0-8CCC-582B08891AB5.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I worked in the crash repair industry. The insurance companies are DESPERATE to not payout the claim.
Bald tyre? Not paying etc.
Before the assessor checks the damage, they check the car over for anything that can get them out of paying.
After that they cut the hell out of the quote. Anything to save a buck. To the detriment of your vehicle.

Didn't they let our players off though?

I worked in the crash repair industry. The insurance companies are DESPERATE to not payout the claim.
Bald tyre? Not paying etc.
Before the assessor checks the damage, they check the car over for anything that can get them out of paying.
After that they cut the hell out of the quote. Anything to save a buck. To the detriment of your vehicle.

This happened to me, but my old man sorted it. I had bald front tyres, car went through red light and we collided. Insurer denied the claim, then they paid in full. That was over 20 years ago. More recently, my idiot sister had her car stolen and damaged. She'd forgotten to register it. So the insurance company tried the same trick on her. But the lack of registration didn't increase their risk, so after a well worded letter from the old man, claim was paid in full. They'll try, it's what they do.

This happened to me, but my old man sorted it. I had bald front tyres, car went through red light and we collided. Insurer denied the claim, then they paid in full. That was over 20 years ago. More recently, my idiot sister had her car stolen and damaged. She'd forgotten to register it. So the insurance company tried the same trick on her. But the lack of registration didn't increase their risk, so after a well worded letter from the old man, claim was paid in full. They'll try, it's what they do.
Just don't use AAMI, thieving assholes.

Insured with them for over 30 years and when we had a fire go through our then 40 acre property in Queensland in the the early 2000's which resulted in losing all our fencing, pumps etc they'd only pay 50 cents on the dollar. The really galling thing with the fencing was we had full round redgum posts and they'd only replace them them with split posts and the cheapest hinge joint you could buy.

Then to cap it all off we get a letter in the mail a couple of weeks later telling us they would no longer insure us.

It doesn't mitigate other's responsibility under law though. And it has been an offence and appears to remain one in some places. So, in Vic or QLD, is that driver's duty removed purely because the person was drunk despite otherwise adhere ing to the rules surrounding the use of pedestrian crossings?

I mentioned in the first post it was near UWA in Perth. Anyway, it was 30 years ago, I can’t remember the exact details.

I had a similar 1 over there. Reversing out of a driveway a bloke on a bike absolutely poleaxed me. It was on a steep hill, and he landed about 50m down the road.

He was unlicensed for bikes. He finished up in an ambulance, he was paying off his bike which was promptly repossessed.

He wanted me to pay for his bike repairs and it’s return. I told him the car was comprehensively insuranced and he was welcome to claim under the policy. Insurance company told him to GAEABD’s

Just don't use AAMI, thieving assholes.

Insured with them for over 30 years and when we had a fire go through our then 40 acre property in Queensland in the the early 2000's which resulted in losing all our fencing, pumps etc they'd only pay 50 cents on the dollar. The really galling thing with the fencing was we had full round redgum posts and they'd only replace them them with split posts and the cheapest hinge joint you could buy.

Then to cap it all off we get a letter in the mail a couple of weeks later telling us they would no longer insure us.

were you under insured? Is that why they only paid 50c in the dollar?

I mentioned in the first post it was near UWA in Perth. Anyway, it was 30 years ago, I can’t remember the exact details.

I had a similar 1 over there. Reversing out of a driveway a bloke on a bike absolutely poleaxed me. It was on a steep hill, and he landed about 50m down the road.

He was unlicensed for bikes. He finished up in an ambulance, he was paying off his bike which was promptly repossessed.

He wanted me to pay for his bike repairs and it’s return. I told him the car was comprehensively insuranced and he was welcome to claim under the policy. Insurance company told him to GAEABD’s

That doesn't mean that he didn't have rights under law. Insurance companies aren't the law, they try and deny valid claims as a matter of process. The accident that I was in had the other party's insurer send me a letter saying I was wholly responsible for the accident and included a demand for me to reimburse the costs of their insured. Despite him rolling through a red light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back