List Mgmt. 2020 Draft - JUH & Bedendo

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope the league increases list size and lessens the minimum list changes this year.
Can't imagine they'd increase list size when all the talk has been about list sizes dropping.

If lists are going to be cut as a cost saving measure, would be good to see reduced senior list size (down to 38 instead of 40), but increase the size of the rookie list. Means keeping more players on lower money, while also allowing us to bring through players on shorter contracts through the rookie draft, which helps with the fact that an entire year of U18 footy is being missed, meaning we have less idea of which kids are worthwhile

Can't imagine they'd increase list size when all the talk has been about list sizes dropping.

If lists are going to be cut as a cost saving measure, would be good to see reduced senior list size (down to 38 instead of 40), but increase the size of the rookie list. Means keeping more players on lower money, while also allowing us to bring through players on shorter contracts through the rookie draft, which helps with the fact that an entire year of U18 footy is being missed, meaning we have less idea of which kids are worthwhile
They might do the opposite and eliminate rookies but make it easier to drag players in from a state league any time during the season if there are significant numbers injured/retired/suspended.

They might do the opposite and eliminate rookies but make it easier to drag players in from a state league any time during the season if there are significant numbers injured/retired/suspended.
I'd be happy with allowing clubs to bring through players from their state league affiliate, and just pay an overinflated game payment for them

I’d be concerned it dilutes the skill of good list management if you can just bring in players short term. Good list management should be rewarded.
There would probably be some controls if they went down this path.

Before accessing state league top ups you might need to have a definite number of LTIs etc before it's allowed and then only for a designated number of players ( say 1 or 2). Also, like the old rule with rookies, those top-up players might need to go back to the state league after the LTIs recover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruiter Matt Rendell just on SEN talking about the draft. Amongst other things he mentioned Raak as someone he rates highly and sees him as a top 20 pick.
Not sure if I'm happy or annoyed with that.

Sucks that he may actually cost us something when I was hoping he'd be bid on late enough that the discount overwrites most of the cost, but then also happy to hear he's good enough to be in the frame for early-ish selection.

Getting two quality talls like that in one draft is huge for us in the long term

Not sure if I'm happy or annoyed with that.

Sucks that he may actually cost us something when I was hoping he'd be bid on late enough that the discount overwrites most of the cost, but then also happy to hear he's good enough to be in the frame for early-ish selection.

Getting two quality talls like that in one draft is huge for us in the long term
Think of it like my missus does at sale time.

A 20% saving on a top 20 pick is a much bigger saving than on a third rounder.

The higher they bid, the more we save.

Sigh.

If Cody goes in the first couple of rounds, we almost certainly won’t be taking anyone besides our academy and F/S picks. Good thing they’re good.

Obviously we're likely wiped by JUH and possibly Raak, but there will definitely be opportunities to trade into this draft after bids, so it's still worth discussing who is around.

It does seem as though there is little on the market by way of key defenders, so this is where I'm most interested. I think we would benefit from another developing genuine key defender on the list. We don't know about where Gardner will get to, Cordy has played his best footy playing smaller, and Lewis Young is probably more your interceptor than a true key defender.

I was reading Kevin Sheehan's list of top key defenders and liked the sound of Nik Cox and Zach Reid. Can anybody tell me more about them? Where are they likely to go, strengths/weaknesses/play style etc.

Also open to hearing about small forwards.

Obviously we're likely wiped by JUH and possibly Raak, but there will definitely be opportunities to trade into this draft after bids, so it's still worth discussing who is around.

It does seem as though there is little on the market by way of key defenders, so this is where I'm most interested. I think we would benefit from another developing genuine key defender on the list. We don't know about where Gardner will get to, Cordy has played his best footy playing smaller, and Lewis Young is probably more your interceptor than a true key defender.

I was reading Kevin Sheehan's list of top key defenders and liked the sound of Nik Cox and Zach Reid. Can anybody tell me more about them? Where are they likely to go, strengths/weaknesses/play style etc.

Also open to hearing about small forwards.

Cox will end up being a star

Someone might take him really early..
201cm great hands massive tank and smooth left footer bit like a young Harry Taylor

Reid more your shut down back hard nose

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has anyone heard an update on Raak recently? If Rendell rated him so highly i'd have expected to have read / heard more about him by this stage. He hasn't been rated in any of the top 30-40 talent lists and didn't get an invite to the combine either. Funnily enough I spoke to his father Mark maybe a month ago, and he told my Cody is in great shape, but hasn't played much footy this year due to covid. He also said they hadn't really heard anything from the dogs and mentioned it may have to do with the list reduction decisions yet to be handed down. Would be great if we picked him up on the cheap or could even rookie him, but I want a little sumthin sumthin to get me excited...

Has anyone heard an update on Raak recently? If Rendell rated him so highly i'd have expected to have read / heard more about him by this stage. He hasn't been rated in any of the top 30-40 talent lists and didn't get an invite to the combine either. Funnily enough I spoke to his father Mark maybe a month ago, and he told my Cody is in great shape, but hasn't played much footy this year due to covid. He also said they hadn't really heard anything from the dogs and mentioned it may have to do with the list reduction decisions yet to be handed down. Would be great if we picked him up on the cheap or could even rookie him, but I want a little sumthin sumthin to get me excited...
I reckon Rendell got his names mixed up and was talking about someone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back