Some fun in bleak times - Bulldogs "teams of..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Good work. You've missed Hahn in your team though.

Ben Hudson moved to Queensland from Victoria at the age of 8 (younger than what Aker did) before coming down to play for Werribee when he was 22. I think he should also be included which would greatly strengthen the ruck.

Lloyd (Deniliquin) and Duryea (Corowa) are also from NSW, as was the great Ed Barlow (Tathra).

Great work, thanks. I actually had Hahn on my Qld list, then he somehow dropped off. I blame COVID19! Huddo's a good one too. Should have got Loyd and Duryea, never would have thought of Barlow.

How's this one then?

B Harbrow Murrie Toohey
HB Addison Williams Duryea
C McLean Low Suckling
HF Hahn Coleman Duffy
F Wood Bruce Akermanis
R Bristow M.West Cross
I/C Djerrkura Minogue Lloyd Young
Emer Bristow Bowden Anderson Hanson

Bristow was big-hearted, but had one of the most robotic awkward kicking styles I've ever seen - not that Hudson kicked it all that much!
Lloyd only on the bench, as he's competing with Aker and Duffy for the smaller forward roles.
Barlow - hmmm, just can't quite squeeze him in!

Hudson in Ruck, Darcy full forward Naughts to full back to eliminate Salmon at full back and bring Harrison into team. Or cheat and bring in Leon Cameron cos who would notice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're saying drop Salmon, that's a bridge too far for me! The Big Fish was one of my favourites.
How about Hudson ruck, Darcy FF, Naughts in defence, and Salmon on the bench for flexibility, as he can play ruck, chb, FB?
If I dropped anyone for Harrison, it would probably be Georgiades, as Harro also adds more flexibility - and a far more productive VFL/AFL career!
If I get around to it, I might select a team of amidexteries, so Leon would feature in that - along with Hawk, McGuinness, Bont, Granty, N.Cordy, Stoneham, maybe Templeton/Quinlan?
Cheers

Do tell!!

Shorty had a few short-comings, as much as his team-mates enjoyed his larrikinism. Malthouse didn't have as much faith as some would believe, in spite of Daniels' 1985 finals campaign. There were training sessions where the team were all plying their trade on the grandstand wing at WO, while an assistant (Wayne Walsh or Ron Simmons the runner) would have Shorty on the outer (less lit) side of the ground and be rolling balls at him trying to get him to commit and run in a straight line, rather than in a big arc. He was a big talker, but in the heat of battle, didn't quite walk the walk. Great skills, put on an aggressive show, but he's not the guy you'd find backing into a back. Not that everyone needs to be like that, teams need the outside run, but blokes who make out they're something they're not are quickly seen through in a footy club. Plus there was an (alleged) unsavoury incident with another player's significant other. Alcohol was (unsurprisingly) a major factor. I've heard from someone who was there in 85/86 that the collective 'cons' outweighed the 'pros' in the end, and the club moved on fairly quickly from his departure. Still popular with many ex-team-mates apparently, just not all. This article has a quote from Hawk from his book that sums up Shorty:

Edit: sorry, didn't mean that to sound like a hatchet job on the bloke, just that there's a lot the general public don't see about what goes on behind the scenes (as I'm sure you are well aware). And for every Chris Grant who, still a young footballer, sits quietly and unannounced in a corridor at the RCH to visit a sick young fan without any fanfare, there are the blokes who tax the club's time trying to keep some of their extra-curricular activities out of general circulation.

Andrew Wills. I’ll sleep on the other 20!
I'll give you another - Simon Beasley at FF. I think he'd shed enough by the time he retired to qualify.

Picking the other 19 might be a bit hairy though.

Struggling with this one dogwatch .

I've got Eagle, Wills, Hall(?), then having to clutch at straws, like this bloke:

1593560838639.png

Rocket is obviously the coach! I think Toast had a buzz cut at one stage as well. Can I extend it to unusual hair-styles!? JJ would feature a few times, as
possibly would Tom L. B.Smith and Naughts could slip in there too.

I've got Eagle, Wills, Hall(?), then having to clutch at straws, like this bloke:

View attachment 903727

Rocket is obviously the coach! I think Toast had a buzz cut at one stage as well. Can I extend it to unusual hair-styles!? JJ would feature a few times, as
You're doing the hard yakka ... so you make the rules as to who's in. First preference to genuine baldies though.

View attachment 903727

Self inflicted. US Marine on top, wild party at the back.

1593565892514.png

Shorty had a few short-comings, as much as his team-mates enjoyed his larrikinism. Malthouse didn't have as much faith as some would believe, in spite of Daniels' 1985 finals campaign. There were training sessions where the team were all plying their trade on the grandstand wing at WO, while an assistant (Wayne Walsh or Ron Simmons the runner) would have Shorty on the outer (less lit) side of the ground and be rolling balls at him trying to get him to commit and run in a straight line, rather than in a big arc. He was a big talker, but in the heat of battle, didn't quite walk the walk. Great skills, put on an aggressive show, but he's not the guy you'd find backing into a back. Not that everyone needs to be like that, teams need the outside run, but blokes who make out they're something they're not are quickly seen through in a footy club. Plus there was an (alleged) unsavoury incident with another player's significant other. Alcohol was (unsurprisingly) a major factor. I've heard from someone who was there in 85/86 that the collective 'cons' outweighed the 'pros' in the end, and the club moved on fairly quickly from his departure. Still popular with many ex-team-mates apparently, just not all. This article has a quote from Hawk from his book that sums up Shorty:

Edit: sorry, didn't mean that to sound like a hatchet job on the bloke, just that there's a lot the general public don't see about what goes on behind the scenes (as I'm sure you are well aware). And for every Chris Grant who, still a young footballer, sits quietly and unannounced in a corridor at the RCH to visit a sick young fan without any fanfare, there are the blokes who tax the club's time trying to keep some of their extra-curricular activities out of general circulation.

For sure he wasn’t perfect, but good Lord compared to some of the “talent” that we trotted out in the late 80s.......If he wasn’t significantly better than many of those guys.........

For sure he wasn’t perfect, but good Lord compared to some of the “talent” that we trotted out in the late 80s.......If he wasn’t significantly better than many of those guys.........
Not unlike what happened in the Stringer saga.
Without his baggage Stringer would walk into any side, including ours.

Yeah, I know, but I think after the letdown of 85, the whole club was expecting bigger things in 86, especially with the arrival of Rance and McGuinness - two experienced interstate guns. Losing the 85 captain due to a 'misunderstanding' was not a great start, and as we know, 86 started well, but finished up a bit of a disaster. After R16, we were sitting 5th, not dominating, but hanging in there, although with only 9 wins. R17, Hawk does his knee early against Pies at the G, we lead until 3/4 time, then fall apart. We win 2 of the last 5, but get spanked in the other 3, by 57, 79 and 70, the last 2 thrashings by the eventual grand finalists. Hardie and Malthouse fall out, Daniels was already collateral damage earlier in the season, by a hierarchy probably getting ahead of itself. McGuinness has a good first year, Rance is solid, but at the end of the season Hardie walks out.
Round 22 capitulation to the Hawks featured Neil Cordy, Gepp, Groenewegen, Hardie, Mark Kellett, Rod MacPherson, Maylin, Sewell, Somerville. 9 players who were playing their last game for the club. One was a star, several were solid contributors - a few had plenty more in the tank. Somerville had a bright future, but along with RMac, was one of our compulsory offerings to the fledgling Bears. Hardie had to go, as the club is bigger than the individual, but that's a decent cleanout by anyone's measure. I don't know if Malthouse saw it as a reset, and we just missed finals in 1987. But that's when I reckon it changed. Finances got tighter, Purser went back to WA at the end of 87, Rance joined West Coast, and then you're right, we started bringing in the late 80s "talent" - Allday (spare me), Cronan, Cullen, Fitzpatrick, Irvine, Shields, Svilar, Shane Williams, Harrington, O'Keeffe, Mark Williams. Nothing against those guys, but I reckon Malthouse was already going through the motions in 88 - probably because his hands were tied financially on the recruitment front. Lots of top-end talent on existing big money (for us) - Beasley, Foster, Hawkins, Kennedy, MacPherson, McGuinness, McLean, Royal, Wallis. And less to spread around beneath them to field a solid team. Some good youngsters coming through in Baxter, Campbell, Hunter, Kolyniuk, Liber, Wigney, Wynd. But the disparity was too great, we'd lost that second tier of solid contributors. Meanwhile, Columb was out of his depth managing the club, and at the end of 89 the fan splattered the sh1t everywhere. Sorry, bit of a ramble/rant - in hindsight you're right, we could/should have managed Daniels, but until Gordon/Smorgon/Gordon, the club left a lot to be desired on the management front. It's no coincidence that many of our historical highs - the build up through 1953 into 1954, then grand final in 1961 out of nowhere, the brief sparks of 1974 and 1976, then 1985, could not be sustained. We were an administrative basket case. Even Gordon's first tenure was a struggle, I think it's only Smorgon (for the most part of his term) and Gordon 2.0 where we have actually managed both our admin and finances in a competent manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely only 2nd ruck to the people's beard though :)

Interesting at the selection table for footscray1973 as the great Gary Dempsey had some great sideburns happening back in his time at Footscray.

Surely Allday by a nose hair gets the gig 😀

Last edited:

I’ve been trying to think of Andrew Wills for such a long time
I had him as one of the bald guys from Adelaide not Fremantle
I had high hopes for him - unfortunately he got knockout once before we got him and twice with us, career cut short :(

There's another team waiting to be picked, a best facial hair 22.

I have done some groundwork on players who had facial hair during their time with the Bulldogs.
Ian Dunstan, Bruce Reid, Terry Wheeler, Laurie Sandilands, Ted Whitten jr, Jason Akermanis, Danny Southern, Tom Liberatore, Bernie Quinlan, Marcus Bontempelli, Peter Welsh, Ben Hudson, Jake Stringer, Dennis Collins.

1593869483389.png 1593869493631.png 1593869503089.png 1593869513056.png 1593869531193.png 1593869539519.png 1593869547939.png 1593869560933.png 1593869569839.png 1593869583559.png 1593869594477.png 1593869604144.png 1593869611992.png 1593869620016.png

That's 14 players so far. I couldn't find any evidence that Gary Dempsey had a beard or mo during his Footscray days, though he did at North.

I have done some groundwork on players who had facial hair during their time with the Bulldogs.
Ian Dunstan, Bruce Reid, Terry Wheeler, Laurie Sandilands, Ted Whitten jr, Jason Akermanis, Danny Southern, Tom Liberatore, Bernie Quinlan, Marcus Bontempelli, Peter Welsh, Ben Hudson, Jake Stringer, Dennis Collins.

View attachment 906212 View attachment 906213 View attachment 906214 View attachment 906215 View attachment 906216 View attachment 906217 View attachment 906218 View attachment 906219 View attachment 906220 View attachment 906221 View attachment 906223 View attachment 906224 View attachment 906225 View attachment 906226

That's 14 players so far. I couldn't find any evidence that Gary Dempsey had a beard or mo during his Footscray days, though he did at North.

Gary Dempsey surely makes up for it with the sideburns!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 82

View attachment 906212 View attachment 906213 View attachment 906214 View attachment 906215 View attachment 906216 View attachment 906217 View attachment 906218 View attachment 906219 View attachment 906220 View attachment 906221 View attachment 906223 View attachment 906224 View attachment 906225 View attachment 906226

Does Bailey Dale get a gig?

1593906247729.png

Hello all, due to some personal issues, I have to drop out of BF for the time being to prioritise time with my family. Feel free to nominate a team/s with hair/facial hair peculiarities, or any other unusual criteria for that matter, and I'll look forward to viewing them some time in the future.

All the best

Go Dogs

Hello all, due to some personal issues, I have to drop out of BF for the time being to prioritise time with my family. Feel free to nominate a team/s with hair/facial hair peculiarities, or any other unusual criteria for that matter, and I'll look forward to viewing them some time in the future.

All the best

Go Dogs

Take care and all the best

All the best

Go Dogs
Hope all goes well

Yeah, I know, but I think after the letdown of 85, the whole club was expecting bigger things in 86, especially with the arrival of Rance and McGuinness - two experienced interstate guns. Losing the 85 captain due to a 'misunderstanding' was not a great start, and as we know, 86 started well, but finished up a bit of a disaster. After R16, we were sitting 5th, not dominating, but hanging in there, although with only 9 wins. R17, Hawk does his knee early against Pies at the G, we lead until 3/4 time, then fall apart. We win 2 of the last 5, but get spanked in the other 3, by 57, 79 and 70, the last 2 thrashings by the eventual grand finalists. Hardie and Malthouse fall out, Daniels was already collateral damage earlier in the season, by a hierarchy probably getting ahead of itself. McGuinness has a good first year, Rance is solid, but at the end of the season Hardie walks out.
Round 22 capitulation to the Hawks featured Neil Cordy, Gepp, Groenewegen, Hardie, Mark Kellett, Rod MacPherson, Maylin, Sewell, Somerville. 9 players who were playing their last game for the club. One was a star, several were solid contributors - a few had plenty more in the tank. Somerville had a bright future, but along with RMac, was one of our compulsory offerings to the fledgling Bears. Hardie had to go, as the club is bigger than the individual, but that's a decent cleanout by anyone's measure. I don't know if Malthouse saw it as a reset, and we just missed finals in 1987. But that's when I reckon it changed. Finances got tighter, Purser went back to WA at the end of 87, Rance joined West Coast, and then you're right, we started bringing in the late 80s "talent" - Allday (spare me), Cronan, Cullen, Fitzpatrick, Irvine, Shields, Svilar, Shane Williams, Harrington, O'Keeffe, Mark Williams. Nothing against those guys, but I reckon Malthouse was already going through the motions in 88 - probably because his hands were tied financially on the recruitment front. Lots of top-end talent on existing big money (for us) - Beasley, Foster, Hawkins, Kennedy, MacPherson, McGuinness, McLean, Royal, Wallis. And less to spread around beneath them to field a solid team. Some good youngsters coming through in Baxter, Campbell, Hunter, Kolyniuk, Liber, Wigney, Wynd. But the disparity was too great, we'd lost that second tier of solid contributors. Meanwhile, Columb was out of his depth managing the club, and at the end of 89 the fan splattered the sh1t everywhere. Sorry, bit of a ramble/rant - in hindsight you're right, we could/should have managed Daniels, but until Gordon/Smorgon/Gordon, the club left a lot to be desired on the management front. It's no coincidence that many of our historical highs - the build up through 1953 into 1954, then grand final in 1961 out of nowhere, the brief sparks of 1974 and 1976, then 1985, could not be sustained. We were an administrative basket case. Even Gordon's first tenure was a struggle, I think it's only Smorgon (for the most part of his term) and Gordon 2.0 where we have actually managed both our admin and finances in a competent manner.
incredible knowledge and insight...
Well done

Toby Maclean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back