Discussion Album/Single Cover Designs

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh boy, prepare yourselves... the old man has entered the room.

I reckon there is an argument to be had that DSOTM is possibly the most iconic album cover of all time. Its certainly in the conversation. The truth is I could post just about any Pink Floyd album cover in here. Storm Thorgerson and his Hipgnosis studio created almost every single one, and they're all pieces of art in themselves, let alone the genius of the music inside them. Its not just the covers themselves either, there is so much associated imagery in liner notes and the like that are fantastic.

Everybody probably knows this other Floyd album - Wish You Were Here. Initially this album was released in just a plain black shrink wrap to mimic the "absence" themes on the album.

1593601853753.png

This is another favourite of mine, from my favourite Billy Joel album - Turnstiles. Initially most people probably just look at it and think its a fairly standard album cover featuring the artist and some random imagery. But the New York Subway setting and the title made from Subway tiles harks to the driving force behind the album, which is Billy's return to his roots in New York from living for a period in LA. Then you get to the characters on the front, which all reference a song on the album - The well-to-do couple are "I've Loved These Days", the African-American man is "Angry Young Man", the man with the books is "James", girl with the headphones is "All You Wanna Do Is Dance", the Grandmother and Grandson is "Miami 2017", and the man with the bag is "Say Goodbye To Hollywood". Great album, great meaning in the cover.

1593601000455.png

Could pick a few Beatles albums for here, but my personal favourite is probably Abbey Road. If you believe the urban legend, Paul is in barefoot as one of the "clues" put into the Beatles albums as a reference to the real Paul dying in a car crash some years earlier and being replaced by a look-alike.

1593601527500.png

Good bit of design in this one - Agent Provocateur by Foreigner. In reality, it probably took me too long to actually realise there was an 'F' in the negative space, and it wasn't just a bunch of random 80s geometric shapes.

1593601664967.png

And just for the sake of it, a few other favs of mine from one of the best periods of music.

1593601730229.png
1593601751946.png
1593601797761.png

1593601826046.png

Oh boy, prepare yourselves... the old man has entered the room.

I reckon there is an argument to be had that DSOTM is possibly the most iconic album cover of all time. Its certainly in the conversation. The truth is I could post just about any Pink Floyd album cover in here. Storm Thorgerson and his Hipgnosis studio created almost every single one, and they're all pieces of art in themselves, let alone the genius of the music inside them. Its not just the covers themselves either, there is so much associated imagery in liner notes and the like that are fantastic.

Everybody probably knows this other Floyd album - Wish You Were Here. Initially this album was released in just a plain black shrink wrap to mimic the "absence" themes on the album.

View attachment 904172

This is another favourite of mine, from my favourite Billy Joel album - Turnstiles. Initially most people probably just look at it and think its a fairly standard album cover featuring the artist and some random imagery. But the New York Subway setting and the title made from Subway tiles harks to the driving force behind the album, which is Billy's return to his roots in New York from living for a period in LA. Then you get to the characters on the front, which all reference a song on the album - The well-to-do couple are "I've Loved These Days", the African-American man is "Angry Young Man", the man with the books is "James", girl with the headphones is "All You Wanna Do Is Dance", the Grandmother and Grandson is "Miami 2017", and the man with the bag is "Say Goodbye To Hollywood". Great album, great meaning in the cover.

View attachment 904159

Could pick a few Beatles albums for here, but my personal favourite is probably Abbey Road. If you believe the urban legend, Paul is in barefoot as one of the "clues" put into the Beatles albums as a reference to the real Paul dying in a car crash some years earlier and being replaced by a look-alike.

View attachment 904165

Good bit of design in this one - Agent Provocateur by Foreigner. In reality, it probably took me too long to actually realise there was an 'F' in the negative space, and it wasn't just a bunch of random 80s geometric shapes.

View attachment 904167

And just for the sake of it, a few other favs of mine from one of the best periods of music.

View attachment 904168
View attachment 904169
View attachment 904170

View attachment 904171
are you actually 60 years old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to go past Sgt Pepper - you spot something new every time you look at it.
1593606101668.png
If you believe the urban legend, Paul is in barefoot as one of the "clues" put into the Beatles albums as a reference to the real Paul dying in a car crash some years earlier and being replaced by a look-alike.
The back of Sgt Pepper has another "clue", Paul is the only Beatle facing away from camera
1593606407025.png

View attachment 904200

The back of Sgt Pepper has another "clue", Paul is the only Beatle facing away from camera
View attachment 904206

Great album covers make great parodies, such as this by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention:
Frank Zappa 1968a.jpg

Was released less than a year after Sgt. Pepper, and that’s the real Jimi Hendrix on the far right.

Last edited:
View attachment 904200

View attachment 904206
Just recently bought this album on vinyl and had a picture inside with a key to every person featured on the front. I'll post it up here when I get a picture.

Alice Cooper has had some interesting album covers.

Attachments

• Alice Cooper 1972.jpg
    Alice Cooper 1972.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Alice Cooper 1973a.jpg
    Alice Cooper 1973a.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Alice Cooper 1973b.jpg
    Alice Cooper 1973b.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Alice Cooper 1977.jpg
    Alice Cooper 1977.jpg