Preview **UPDATE** Changes vs. Sydney - Saturday 11.45am WST

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a game this week? Damn it. It's like Homer beating up The Hamburglar all over again.

Which Sydney player is going to get punched/headbutted by a senior player who doesn't care because he's already got a premiership medal?
Must be Barrass' turn

Out west coast

In

Someone else but west coast.
Best Coast?
At the risk of sounding negative, so what if Gov returns, what difference has he made in the past 3 games? Even the cleaning lady has worked him out!!
Everyone has worked us out and we're the last to know, or Simpson is?

He needs to step up and show us what he can really do as a coach, not just a flash in the pan..can't believe they've stood still, really thought they'd come out swinging with a new style following TK's inclusion and a fit NN and JK, so much for that pipe-dream..
Oh well, maybe we'll pull off a miracle against the Swans....:think:

Last edited:
Too often him and Kennedy are going for the same marks.

This ‘feature’ is a common occurrence when our forward line fails to function. Ball comes in high and slow, pack forms, easy to defend, no crumbed and out if goes.

JK and JD do need to get their leads and structures squared away but the killer is slow ball movement in the back half & midfield allowing opposition to clog things up.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom "it's hard sometimes to get up for training ever since I won a flag" Barrass.

I know you’ve got the downer role to tick off every week, but can i just say criticising Tom Barrass for that interview is really poor in my opinion. TB’s open and honest insight after the flag were the best bits of football media we’ve seen in the past few years. Knocking him for saying ‘I’ve worked my whole life to achieve something, then when I achieved it it didn’t feel like I thought it would which left me a bit lost’ is entirely unreasonable.

Imagine working your whole life for something, and constantly being told that’s the pinnacle of your field, then you achieve it and suddenly everyone goes yeah cool, now do it again. You’d rightly feel a little bemused and need to take some time to figure out what it meant and how to deal with it. People give footballers s**t for being thick, then when they’re honest and considered, the fans turn on them if they don’t like the answer.

Unless you prefer ONE WEEK AT A TIME and YES THE BOYS ARE REALLY EXCITED FOR THE CHALLENGE in every interview, I don’t understand criticising the most honest interview with an active player I can recall in my lifetime, and especially not when he’s one of our own. They’re human beings that exist outside of the three hours we watch them play each week, they not just here for our amusement.

Maybe I’m going harder than necessary here but this one in particular is a sore point for me, because what was a very earnest and sincere point from TB has been twisted and used against him for two years now. It reeks of “football is the most important thing to me and if it’s not the most important thing to you you don’t deserve to play it”.

It’s all well and good pumping up Beyond Blue and telling blokes to speak up if they’re going through a tough time, but when a footballer does it well they’re just spoiled and privileged and they don’t understand what they have and if that was me I would be over the moon to play footy for a living let alone win a flag and anyway he wouldn’t last one day in the real world so suck it up.

It’s ******* gross.

I know you’ve got the downer role to tick off every week, but can i just say criticising Tom Barrass for that interview is really poor in my opinion. TB’s open and honest insight after the flag were the best bits of football media we’ve seen in the past few years. Knocking him for saying ‘I’ve worked my whole life to achieve something, then when I achieved it it didn’t feel like I thought it would which left me a bit lost’ is entirely unreasonable.

Imagine working your whole life for something, and constantly being told that’s the pinnacle of your field, then you achieve it and suddenly everyone goes yeah cool, now do it again. You’d rightly feel a little bemused and need to take some time to figure out what it meant and how to deal with it. People give footballers sh*t for being thick, then when they’re honest and considered, the fans turn on them if they don’t like the answer.

Unless you prefer ONE WEEK AT A TIME and YES THE BOYS ARE REALLY EXCITED FOR THE CHALLENGE in every interview, I don’t understand criticising the most honest interview with an active player I can recall in my lifetime, and especially not when he’s one of our own. They’re human beings that exist outside of the three hours we watch them play each week, they not just here for our amusement.

Maybe I’m going harder than necessary here but this one in particular is a sore point for me, because what was a very earnest and sincere point from TB has been twisted and used against him for two years now. It reeks of “football is the most important thing to me and if it’s not the most important thing to you you don’t deserve to play it”.

It’s all well and good pumping up Beyond Blue and telling blokes to speak up if they’re going through a tough time, but when a footballer does it well they’re just spoiled and privileged and they don’t understand what they have and if that was me I would be over the moon to play footy for a living let alone win a flag and anyway he wouldn’t last one day in the real world so suck it up.

It’s ******* gross.
Badge I’m gonna need you to buy me a new phone because I just broke my one by pressing Like too hard

Spuddy Sinclair - I think he is much, much better than the lack of respect you're giving him.

You really cannot fault his effort, gives 100% every game and never shirks a contest. But he is the worst tap ruckman of the 18 starters in the AFL. And he is limited around the ground. NicNat will pulverise him.

As for the game, we simply have too many in the 22 with less than 60 games under their belts. They will put up a fight but poor disposal will probably cost us. I am expecting a 2-3 goal loss despite the Eagles recent woes.

Imagine working your whole life for something, and constantly being told that’s the pinnacle of your field, then you achieve it and suddenly everyone goes yeah cool, now do it again. You’d rightly feel a little bemused and need to take some time to figure out what it meant and how to deal with it. People give footballers sh*t for being thick, then when they’re honest and considered, the fans turn on them if they don’t like the answer.

It’s ******* gross.
I guess Hawthorn lucked out and had a group of players who wanted to win again and again compared to ours who are content with one flag.

Tom Barrass' comments last year were surreal. I've followed footy since the Brisbane dynasty and I have yet to hear/read a player be as apathetic as him. Drop him and play players who want to win. It's no surprise he cost us the last two games last year. He couldn't give a s**t.

I guess Hawthorn lucked out and had a group of players who wanted to win again and again compared to ours who are content with one flag.

Tom Barrass' comments were surreal. Drop him and play players who want to win. It's no surprise he cost us the last two games last year. He couldn't give a sh*t.

...right. You’ve entirely misconstrued what he said in the interview, and what he’s said since, while fixating on this easy out of “I care but he doesn’t care so stuff him.” You’ve interpreted a young man earnestly saying he felt lost in the world as apathy, which annoys you because your football team has to win every week or you get upset.

If you’re not going to engage with what he actually said, and instead take a incorrect snippet of an interview in bad faith to inform your position, then there’s genuinely no point having the conversation.

ONE WEEK AT TIME. BOYS WANT WIN. FOOTBALL MORE IMPORTANT THAN LIFE. I KICK BALL.

Fine the footy and this team obviously means more to me than others.

Nope, don’t spin this as you’re the super fan and you just care more than the rest. This is a forum for the 1% of the 1% of footy fans. Nobody here is a better or worse fan, nobody is on here that doesn’t care about the footy.

You’re annoyed at one of our premiership players for a years old interview because he had the balls to give an insightful answer and it wasn’t to your liking.

You’ve got an idea about what an experience like that (a winning grand final) will be like, and you’ve formed the idea from when you were a very young child... and seeing Sam Butler and Benny Cousins on your wall with the cup and the medal, you think it’s going to give you this endless sense of fulfilment because it’s all you’ve ever wanted,”

“You go through this experience and it’s so different to what you first imagined in all sorts of ways and you notice in a month’s time or in three months’ time or whatever, it’s not everything that it was meant to be.

“And that doesn’t mean it was a let-down at all - I loved every single second of it.

“But it was so different to how I always pictured, that I think it leaves you a bit directionless for a little while.”

“I think a fair few people deal with that and I think it was reflected in our football for a little while.

“But I think it’s very natural, I think it’s something you work through and I think it’s something that as you can see, has sort of left me and the group from now.”

Nowhere in there is Tom Barrass saying he doesn’t care about footy or the team. Nowhere in there is Tom Barrass saying he has permanently lost the hunger to play football. Nothing in that answer should annoy an Eagles fan who cares about the team and sustained success. Nothing in there is apathy, as you have suggested.

It would have been an issue if he said all that and went yeah but whatever, is what it is, got my flag so who cares. The fact he’s actually considered it, acknowledged it adversely impacted his footy and said he and the group have worked/are working through it is a good thing.

If you care about the Eagles as much as you say you do, you should be begging for insight like this. They’re not robots that exist to distract you from your own life, and the fact we’ve got players in our team that can engage in analysis like this is a good thing, not a sign of weakness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back