Preview Changes v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to wonder if being an assistant before the main gig can interfere with (or at least slow down) a coach's ability to come in and clinically reshape the list and lineup.

For all the great rhetoric things are starting to look and perform like they always did.

Hope I'm wrong and we come out and surprise vs the dogs. Think we'll get run off our feet.

I am tipping Brady went to Bunnings during ISO and bought one of those big .5 metre brooms. He’s waiting for Shaw to give the go ahead to push it come the end of this mess of a year

Starting to wonder if being an assistant before the main gig can interfere with (or at least slow down) a coach's ability to come in and clinically reshape the list and lineup.

For all the great rhetoric things are starting to look and perform like they always did.

Hope I'm wrong and we come out and surprise vs the dogs. Think we'll get run off our feet.

a tad tough mate , Shaw’s been in charge for ten minutes and it unfortunately takes about 3 years for change .

we can’t just get a new coach and then expect shitmen to not play like shitmen .
I think the place is different under Shaw.
BF NMFC are world leaders in overrating footballers .

we’re slow and aren’t flash by foot . How do we expect to climb to the lofty heights of premiership contender ? Our best midfielder is 203cm’s tall 😳.

we fiddled while Rome burnt for ten years and are now playing catch up .
I do believe we’ll be fine though. I’m excited anyway .

a tad tough mate , Shaw’s been in charge for ten minutes and it unfortunately takes about 3 years for change .

we can’t just get a new coach and then expect shitmen to not play like shitmen .

we’re slow and aren’t flash by foot . How do we expect to climb to the lofty heights of premiership contender ? Our best midfielder is 203cm’s tall 😳.

Yeh I know mate. Was borne of emotion and frustration.

Seeing talented fringe players like Wood and Ahern giving way while 200 gamers in Atley and MacMillan who try hard but routinely commit the same sins snuffed out the enthusiasm for a moment there. If they'd given way for youth then I could cop that we're making moves on a larger scale but this just felt like Scott style deckchair shuffling.

Do you know if Shaw wanted a year to see where everyone was? Mainly thinking that last list change period we really didn't do anything of surprise, no senior players cut, no "statement" moves. Either he/Brady were encumbered by contracts, he really did back them all in or he wanted to move slowly.

100% agree but I'll throw in something for Shaw himself. When he got the job he repeatedly stated "I'm a defense first coach." Fair enough, most coaches are these days. But on the evidence of the last couple of weeks, he needs to open up his thinking on that. We've been absolutely constipated by two, experienced, premiership coaches who thoroughly outcoached Shaw. In both games, when we got to the last roll of the dice stage we freed ourselves up and got back in the game.

Rhyce is learning too, but he has to let the players play with more freedom. I'm confident he'll get there but against another experienced, premiership coach this week I'm really hoping to see something different from the start or else I fear the Dogs (who I think have a better list than the Swans or Hawks) will give us a touch up.

Hunter and Dunkley out is -80 touches from their side that played us last year. snake also put up some interesting clearance numbers earlier in the week that give me confidence in our ability to get on top in the middle despite Bonts and McRae standard 40+ each against us.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't we expect two experienced premiership coaches to outcoach a rookie? Sounds pretty predictable, Shaw is really still on his training wheels. It all takes time.

Seeing talented fringe players like Wood and Ahern giving way while 200 gamers in Atley and MacMillan who try hard but routinely commit the same sins snuffed out the enthusiasm for a moment there. If they'd given way for youth then I could cop that we're making moves on a larger scale but this just felt like Scott style deckchair shuffling.

Do you know if Shaw wanted a year to see where everyone was? Mainly thinking that last list change period we really didn't do anything of surprise, no senior players cut, no "statement" moves. Either he/Brady were encumbered by contracts, he really did back them all in or he wanted to move slowly.
The Macmillan in was a bit of a groan moment. Maybe wouldn't have been as frustrating if Atley made way.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Wouldn't we expect two experienced premiership coaches to outcoach a rookie? Sounds pretty predictable, Shaw is really still on his training wheels. It all takes time.

Absolutely. It's kind of my point. But he gets a third crack at one this week and I want to see what he's learned.

Here's a squiggly line chart. What it shows is how many goals we've scored to each minute of all four games and really none of it is anything our own eyes can't tell. But what stands out to me is
  • In all four games we've gone long periods without scoring but none of those periods are in the last 25 minutes of games.
  • In all four games, from the 35min to 45min marks we've only got 2 goals on the board.
  • In all four games by the 70min mark we only have 4 goals. 20 of our 36 goals scored this season, have come after the 70min mark of the game.
  • After 70mins against the Saints we were 17 points behind, GWS 7 behind, Swans 27 behind and Hawks 21 behind = a total of 72 points is arrears. In the last 30-40mins of games we've outscored the oppo by 79.

To happen in all four games is, to flip Buckley's expression this week, a pattern not an event. So fitness seems to be good but that doesn't explain the low-scoring, lacklustre starts. What it suggests is what we can see for ourselves. Rhyce needs to free them up a bit. It's OK to be a defensive coach, but the ball movement and intent to attack is virtually non-existent until we're in so much trouble we have to go to plan B (Which at least Rhyce has) - twice its been too late and once we got by a bee's.

1593736971072.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree but I'll throw in something for Shaw himself. When he got the job he repeatedly stated "I'm a defense first coach." Fair enough, most coaches are these days. But on the evidence of the last couple of weeks, he needs to open up his thinking on that. We've been absolutely constipated by two, experienced, premiership coaches who thoroughly outcoached Shaw. In both games, when we got to the last roll of the dice stage we freed ourselves up and got back in the game.

Rhyce is learning too, but he has to let the players play with more freedom. I'm confident he'll get there but against another experienced, premiership coach this week I'm really hoping to see something different from the start or else I fear the Dogs (who I think have a better list than the Swans or Hawks) will give us a touch up.

I believe Rhyce wasn't happy at half time against the hawks as the group wasn't following instructions. Wasn't any happier at three quarter time either.

We certainly found some room in the last, but by then it was too late. He wants the boys playing on and to keep the ball moving.
Our issue though and it doesn't matter who's coach, is our cattle. So many players that aren't fleet of foot.

Even LDU and I'll say it- he isn't the player we needed. " dime a dozen are big bodied mids". Sure he'll be good, but was another big bodied slowish mid necessary? Ahern, Dumont, LDU, Cunners all slow. we need quick outside talent.

Stephenson at Collingwood is who we should have picked imo.
we mucked around at the draft ,so we're going to struggle even if Rhyce becomes the next Vince Lombardi. It;s not like we didn't know about the ability that Stephenson had/is displaying.

Absolutely. It's kind of my point. But he gets a third crack at one this week and I want to see what he's learned.

• In all four games we've gone long periods without scoring but none of those periods are in the last 25 minutes of games.
  • In all four games, from the 35min to 45min marks we've only got 2 goals on the board.
  • In all four games by the 70min mark we only have 4 goals. 20 of our 36 goals scored this season, have come after the 70min mark of the game.
  • After 70mins against the Saints we were 17 points behind, GWS 7 behind, Swans 27 behind and Hawks 21 behind = a total of 72 points is arrears. In the last 30-40mins of games we've outscored the oppo by 79.

Interesting stuff- the shortened quarters haven't helped us at all. Opposition sides are coming hard at us and then maybe running out of gas? probably we'd be better off with longer quarters although that may mean we're further behind when we start our charge.

Not sure really, I do know they have a plan and it involves skilled quick footballers, so I'd assume anyone that doesn't fit that bill will be moved on.

We saw last year when we tried unsuccessfully to move Wood on, that Shaw isn't going to let the grass grow under his feet.

Even LDU and I'll say it- he isn't the player we needed. " dime a dozen are big bodied mids". Sure he'll be good, but was another big bodied slowish mid necessary? Ahern, Dumont, LDU, Cunners all slow. we need quick outside talent.

we mucked around at the draft ,so we're going to struggle even if Rhyce becomes the next Vince Lombardi. It;s not like we didn't know about the ability that Stephenson had/is displaying.

Nah. Too early to make the call on LDU. He is a complete midfielder. Is strongish in all areas which could mean he ends up an elite mid. Stephenson is great outside talent. Not sure what further strings he will add to his bow but LDU certainly has the potential to be the better player. He has a lot of ground ground to make up though but that’s not unexpected given the type of player he is.

Ps I’d take a guy who can win his own ball and contest every day of the week.

Nah. Too early to make the call on LDU. He is a complete midfielder. Is strongish in all areas which could mean he ends up an elite mid. Stephenson is great outside talent. Not sure what further strings he will add to his bow but LDU certainly has the potential to be the better player. He has a lot of ground ground to make up though but that’s not unexpected given the type of player he is.

Ps I’d take a guy who can win his own ball and contest every day of the week.

Yeah we have plenty of guys capable of winning their own ball, just it seems they've no one to give it too. Bonar , Simpkin, Perez, Zurhaar will all hopefully be mids for us and all capable of spending time forward.

A neat outside type is what we require.

I seem to remember that the feeling was that Lachie was going to go at 2 and we were going to pick Scott Gumbleton. No one could argue that Lachie didn’t put his body on the line for our club and he doesn’t deserve keyboard warriors hanging sh*t on him.
FFs .....keyboard warrior!!. Gimme a break bud. Selwood has clearly turned out to be the better pick, probably of that whole draft really. Keyboard Warrior?? Faaaark me! I never bagged the bloke. Never questioned his courage. Didn’t do any of that sh!t. In fact it ain‘t in my wheelhouse, ever. I take exception to that.

Edit: “Roos Let Selwood Slip”

Last edited:
I believe Rhyce wasn't happy at half time against the hawks as the group wasn't following instructions. Wasn't any happier at three quarter time either.

We certainly found some room in the last, but by then it was too late. He wants the boys playing on and to keep the ball moving.
Our issue though and it doesn't matter who's coach, is our cattle. So many players that aren't fleet of foot.

Interesting stuff- the shortened quarters haven't helped us at all. Opposition sides are coming hard at us and then maybe running out of gas? probably we'd be better off with longer quarters although that may mean we're further behind when we start our charge.

Not sure really, I do know they have a plan and it involves skilled quick footballers, so I'd assume anyone that doesn't fit that bill will be moved on.

We saw last year when we tried unsuccessfully to move Wood on, that Shaw isn't going to let the grass grow under his feet.

It does seem apparent that, for whatever reason, NMFC was always wary of drafting what they may have considered were lairy or flashy players - the type of players that Essendon go for. It’s, probably, contributed to our “dour/blue collar” portrayal in the media. By and large, our supporter base has been onside with this approach, from my perspective. That mindset might be shifting a little right now. We could really do with a fast explosive player in our ranks right now. Someone like Charlie Cameron or even Saad or McDonald-Tipungwuti, maybe. Atley looked like that type of player in 2012, but it was drilled out of him. Boomer was a slight variation of it and we haven’t got a replacement for him yet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah pretty much throwing it back and forth to each other. I’m already preparing to be completely exacerbated by the non calls on throwing the ball by the Braves.

They absolutely suffocate their forwards.

Long may it continue.

FFs .....keyboard warrior!!. Gimme a break bud. Selwood has clearly turned out to be the better pick, probably of that whole draft really. Keyboard Warrior?? Faaaark me! I never bagged the bloke. Never questioned his courage. Didn’t do any of that sh!t. In fact it ain‘t in my wheelhouse, ever. I take exception to that.

Edit: “Roos Let Selwood Slip”

Jeez, it would have been great to have gotten Selwood. However, Lachie was a good pick all in all. Unfortunately, injuries really messed his career, ironically. For a short period, he was shaping up as the best floating interceptor in the business. I think the day he did the splits and “landed on his penis” was the beginning of the end for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back