List Mgmt. Ben Amarfio - has resigned as our CEO - Thank you Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When I was 19 I was waiting for the night rider bus back to ardeer, at the stops on swanston St near that subway restaurant. Had just worked 7am - 1am and had two beers that absolutely threw me after not eating all day and working for 16 or so hours.
Had to take a slash but HJs was closed for cleaning so I went down the closest alleyway. So I'm pissing away and next minute out pops this cop from a nearly door.
Cop: "What are ya doin mate?!"
Me: "needed to use the bathroom, couldn't find a public one"
Cop: "ya know what your pissing on?"

It turned out it was the station window, which had a frosted effect so I couldn't see in. I explained I was really tired and had no idea, and that was that.
Finished up, got on the bus and got home no dramas.

I always wondered how different that story would be if I wasn't a white kid. Safe to assume I'd at least have to catch a later bus home

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's not the millionth spotlighting. From what I have seen, he's the first CEO of a sporting organisation to stand beside his players and spell out specific instances of how different his life was, purely based on his heritage.

It gave me a bit of a jolt. I could imagine myself upholding BA as an example of how we aren't as bad as people think, when a black guy who grows up here can be a top media and sports executive.

But the resilience he had had to show to get there is 20 times what most of the rest of us have put up with. For every Ben, how many are there who just thought "* this"?

It truly blows me away that you could dismiss what he went through as akin to someone being mean to you as a kid.

You are being manipulated for a very narrow political purpose and to sell products.

What is the narrow political purpose and what are the products?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's not the millionth spotlighting.

What planet are you living on?

From what I have seen, he's the first CEO of a sporting organisation to stand beside his players and spell out specific instances of how different his life was, purely based on his heritage.

Oh, I see. The planet where racism as it applies to CEO's of the North Melbourne football club. Yeah, that's novel. Apologies. :rolleyes:

It gave me a bit of a jolt. I could imagine myself upholding BA as an example of how we aren't as bad as people think, when a black guy who grows up here can be a top media and sports executive.

But the resilience he had had to show to get there is 20 times what most of the rest of us have put up with. For every Ben, how many are there who just thought "fu** this"?

It truly blows me away that you could dismiss what he went through as akin to someone being mean to you as a kid.

I believe his story, but if you truly believe there are folks who have not been subjected to racism, and haven't had it much worse whilst not being worthy of a front page spread, then not only are you delusional, you're hallucinating.

What is the narrow political purpose and what are the products?

Racism as an obsession with a particular demographic, grabbing their attention, and exposing them to the advertised products of that forum.

Do you think that Hun article would exist without advertising?

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When I was 19 I was waiting for the night rider bus back to ardeer, at the stops on swanston St near that subway restaurant. Had just worked 7am - 1am and had two beers that absolutely threw me after not eating all day and working for 16 or so hours.
Had to take a slash but HJs was closed for cleaning so I went down the closest alleyway. So I'm pissing away and next minute out pops this cop from a nearly door.
Cop: "What are ya doin mate?!"
Me: "needed to use the bathroom, couldn't find a public one"
Cop: "ya know what your pissing on?"

It turned out it was the station window, which had a frosted effect so I couldn't see in. I explained I was really tired and had no idea, and that was that.
Finished up, got on the bus and got home no dramas.

I always wondered how different that story would be if I wasn't a white kid. Safe to assume I'd at least have to catch a later bus home
The old night rider.. a nice memory.
You sounded polite and courteous.
If you weren't nice and polite you'd get a summons to appear in the magistrates court and cop a $300 fine. Irrespective of race.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What planet are you living on?

Oh, I see. The planet where racism as it applies to CEO's of the North Melbourne football club. Yeah, that's novel. Apologies. :rolleyes:

I believe his story, but if you truly believe there are folks who have not been subjected to racism, and haven't had it much worse whilst not being worthy of a front page spread, then not only are you delusional, you're hallucinating.

Racism as an obsession with a particular demographic, grabbing their attention, and exposing them to the advertised products of that forum.

Do you think that Hun article would exist without advertising?
Yeah, we're miles away here. I'll go back to skimming over your stuff I think. Thanks for replying.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The old night rider.. a nice memory.
You sounded polite and courteous.
If you weren't nice and polite you'd get a summons to appear in the magistrates court and cop a $300 fine. Irrespective of race.
I feel like having the old feller out when speaking to a cop nice and courteous is probably the bare minimum haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morgan Freeman after the riots in Baltimore five years ago:

"That unrest [in Baltimore] has nothing to do with terrorism at all, except the terrorism we suffer from the police," the 77-year-old star said. "And the fact that now that's out in the open." Freeman referred to the case of Amadou Diallo, the Guinea immigrant who in 1999 was killed by four New York City plainclothes officers who mistook his wallet for a gun. "Forty-one times he was shot. That was the beginning of our understanding of how dangerous police are."

Freeman has commented publicly on racial issues before, describing the concept of Black History Month as "ridiculous" in a 2005 interview. The current unrest in Baltimore stems from outrage following the death of Gray, a 25-year-old African-American who died of a spinal cord injury suffered while in police custody.

Regarding that case, Freeman also mentioned how mobile technology brings more attention to specific incidents of police violence. "Because of the technology—everybody has a smartphone—now we can see what the police are doing," he said. "We can show the world, Look, this is what happened in that situation. So why are so many people dying in police custody? And why are they all black? And why are all the police killing them white? What is that?

"The police have always said, 'I feared for my safety,'" Freeman added. "Well, now we know. OK. You feared for your safety while a guy was running away from you, right?"

He also mentioned Black History month as ridiculous because "there is no white history month."

Obviously it's ridiculous. It's ridiculous things are so bad that they have to do that just to enable black history to be visible. Otherwise it's ignored. Who knows who Nat Turner was?

But the resilience he had had to show to get there is 20 times what most of the rest of us have put up with. For every Ben, how many are there who just thought "fu** this"?
That's me. I wanted to burn it all down as a kid. I used to have illegal guns. Sometimes I'd sit on the roof of mum and dads and line people up walking along the river or park nearby. I probably would never have snapped and shot anyone but some days I felt like it. I've put campaigners in hospital cos they said the wrong thing to me at the wrong time when I was a kid, just out of high school.

If Al Queda had been recruiting westerners in the late 80s I might have joined. Tho they were fighting the Russians for the US then so probably not.

I'm pretty smart and talented but * society. (Many people would say ive wasted my talents too, some still do, and they have a point but ****ed if I was gonna go down that road.)

It took me till I was early 30 to even consider giving something back. And that's just cos I live in a community. Ie a place where people know and trust each other. Not the suburbs or a city or town. It's just the bush and no one else was here back then. And it only really exists cos people moved there to grow weed, or run their other businesses with minimal interference from law enforcement. Ie to break the law and live their own lives independent of the campaigners running the country.

The cops round here fly round in choppers, invade people properties without warrants, take their weed (steal the buds for themselves if it's mature) do road blitzes where they pull over every car in an area and defect them regardless. That's these days, it's a lot better now than it was.

I couldn't have been part of a community that didn't deal with that and have an attitude to it. The cops are an occupying foreign force.

People wonder why black (or poor white) people get angry and burn s**t down when they've had enough. They think those people are bad for breaking the law, but * it. It was never there for us, well for our benefit. It was only there for us to be used against us. You know when you're a kid and you learn about the police and if you are lost go tell a policeman? Yeah sure. That will work.

Anyway I spent the morning training new fire fighters. For free ... cos it's a good thing to do. I've probably come long way.

I watched about 20 minutes of Donald Trumps speech at his election rally in Tulsa, some champagne comedy in there, he even did a couple of funny walks.
was that the "do less tests then it doesn't look so bad" one?

Go_Roos!

Club Legend
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I watched about 20 minutes of Donald Trumps speech at his election rally in Tulsa, some champagne comedy in there, he even did a couple of funny walks.
Particularly liked where he wants to cut back on coronavirus testing because it is finding too many people who test positive

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I listened to this and I noted that Russel mentioned Ben was "upbeat" after speaking with Rhyce about the players & upcoming games.

Hopefully it's a good omen that Cunners has been passed fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back