Discussion Maligned designs you like (and opposite)

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
Handful of my personal faves.

Melbourne Red Clash ‘15

D11BDC29-2211-4F88-A22F-E5F052A91E49.jpeg

Kangas 2003-2005 Away
5CACD4A0-7C66-4D1F-A928-3660C435FA2C.jpeg

Adelaide Clash 16/17
A181197A-1FDC-4E1C-978F-DDF87BC82188.jpeg

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

That guernsey was an instabuy for me. Just pissed that I got the mustard BLK version when we switched to ISC a year later. Have wanted a gold clash ever since our 2005 Heritage.

Can't understand why it gets so much hate from Crows supporters. Being yellow instantly puts it head and shoulders above any white design we've attempted purely due to being one of our colours. I've long been an advocate for us having 3 guernseys. Regular home (can be worn with blue or white shorts), and then 2 versions of the above, one in red and one in yellow. Not a single club we'd clash with if we had those 3 options, and no need to wear white ever again.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
View attachment 903889

I f*n love this jumper and I don't even know why
came here to say this... I think my, uh, enjoyment(?) of it doesn't really translate through still images though, I think it looked really good on TV.
Also I think I just liked what it represented... I like when clubs have clashes that aren't just a recolor - when they try something that represents the brand with creative designs, like secondary kits in soccer - whether they're ugly or not tbh.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
EB19JSY02M_Essendon-Bombers-2019-Mens-Clash-Guernsey_1__990183021.jpg

I really don't like our clash, not really that controversial since most people are pretty split on it. It's ugly and too red. I'm sick of Essendon having this conservative traditionalist complex. We haven't won a final in 15 years, the hell are we trying to uphold the status quo for? Honestly I'd love us to wear an away kit that doesn't have a red sash, and we need a new logo. Upon reflection maybe I'm just sick of Essendon.
Also Doggies' hoops are too low, and Freo's purple is too dark...

While I'm at it I have always found the Pies 2010/2020 ellipsed back design visually offensive.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F09%2F08%2F18%2F58%2Fgiantsswans_env.jpg

Over the years I've changed my opinion on the Giants. I used to think their kit was messy without a charcoal back... but I've come to love the orange back, I think it's one of the best looks in the league and important for GWS' brand.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

That guernsey was an instabuy for me. Just pissed that I got the mustard BLK version when we switched to ISC a year later. Have wanted a gold clash ever since our 2005 Heritage.

Can't understand why it gets so much hate from Crows supporters. Being yellow instantly puts it head and shoulders above any white design we've attempted purely due to being one of our colours. I've long been an advocate for us having 3 guernseys. Regular home (can be worn with blue or white shorts), and then 2 versions of the above, one in red and one in yellow. Not a single club we'd clash with if we had those 3 options, and no need to wear white ever again.

😎

0E8733A3-E951-4503-B6E3-14B4C1267DF1.png

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

I really don't like our clash, not really that controversial since most people are pretty split on it. It's ugly and too red. I'm sick of Essendon having this conservative traditionalist complex. We haven't won a final in 15 years, the hell are we trying to uphold the status quo for? Honestly I'd love us to wear an away kit that doesn't have a red sash, and we need a new logo. Upon reflection maybe I'm just sick of Essendon.
Also Doggies' hoops are too low, and Freo's purple is too dark...

While I'm at it I have always found the Pies 2010/2020 ellipsed back design visually offensive.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F09%2F08%2F18%2F58%2Fgiantsswans_env.jpg

Over the years I've changed my opinion on the Giants. I used to think their kit was messy without a charcoal back... but I've come to love the orange back, I think it's one of the best looks in the league and important for GWS' brand.
Im not the biggest fan of the dons clash either, and think such a design can be done a lot better. But with the "heritage" clash of several years ago (which is arguably worse) I dont think you can call the decisions conservative. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your side of the coin) within the clubs constitution it states that the jumper must consist of a red sash, which means any alternate kit needs to have the sash. If the club were to change this I could not see the membership base agreeing on how an alternate kit could be designed (and getting rid of that stipulation)

I personally find the gws kit can go either way depending on the year. I find the alternate kits have been pretty poor for most of its history with some being alright and some being pretty bad.

Im not the biggest fan of the dons clash either, and think such a design can be done a lot better. But with the "heritage" clash of several years ago (which is arguably worse) I dont think you can call the decisions conservative. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your side of the coin) within the clubs constitution it states that the jumper must consist of a red sash, which means any alternate kit needs to have the sash. If the club were to change this I could not see the membership base agreeing on how an alternate kit could be designed (and getting rid of that stipulation)

I personally find the gws kit can go either way depending on the year. I find the alternate kits have been pretty poor for most of its history with some being alright and some being pretty bad.
Haven't we debunked the constitution thing?

Ogrebait

All Australian
Jan 29, 2008
Paul's Boutique
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon it would look great with their regular blue socks. Whilst I like the Bulldogs' white 'clash' strip, this combination would provide a great contrast against the home uniforms of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Port Adelaide and Richmond whilst still maintaining a traditional look.

Last edited:

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

I like that we always have a red sash on our clash jumper, it's a nice touch to keep our brand consistent. I just wish we would drop the ugly drop shadow gradient and just make the red on the sash darker to make it stand out.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
This was an elite portfolio, just had another look at it. We never got to find out about AFLTV though...

The AFLTV stuff is about half done, I just let it drop away for a while there. Actually just revisited it last weekend and got some more stuff together so hopefully sometime soon I can get that going again.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't mind the look of it, but we never seemed to win while wearing it.

Probably more due to the fact that it was during our terrible days.

There’s a few clubs that wear blue and white so it might be just a good one to roll out in away games against them. Creates a really good third kit with obvious merch $ benefits.

Ogrebait

All Australian
Jan 29, 2008
Paul's Boutique
AFL Club
Fremantle

I really don't like our clash, not really that controversial since most people are pretty split on it. It's ugly and too red. I'm sick of Essendon having this conservative traditionalist complex. We haven't won a final in 15 years, the hell are we trying to uphold the status quo for? Honestly I'd love us to wear an away kit that doesn't have a red sash...
I'm not sure why they don't just amend their constitution and invert the colours.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I like that we always have a red sash on our clash jumper, it's a nice touch to keep our brand consistent. I just wish we would drop the ugly drop shadow gradient and just make the red on the sash darker to make it stand out.
I'm the opposite. Red guernsey with a black sash looks much better. It is still consistent with our brand. Richmond wear the black sash on yellow and it looks great.

Back